Alleged forced sterilization in Xinjiang (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:40:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alleged forced sterilization in Xinjiang (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alleged forced sterilization in Xinjiang  (Read 615 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« on: August 03, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »
« edited: August 03, 2020, 04:25:50 PM by Mr. Illini »

I know you are critiquing China here and I appreciate that as the story told in the CNN piece is horrifying, but it is a little crazy for me to read something like, "look, usually the Chinese government is not bad, but I admit this is wrong."

It is an extremely unfortunate byproduct of Trump's faux "tough on China" rhetoric that some on the left feel the need to defend the Chinese government or at least avoid the topic.

Are you willing to excuse their denial of freedom of speech and press to their citizens, in violation of international law?

Are you willing to excuse the hundreds to thousands who were shot in Tienanmen Square attempting to exercise speech?

Have you forgotten that they are currently shredding the Sino-British Join Declaration by ending the two systems policy in Hong Kong almost three decades early?

Do you remember the prisoners of conscience, torture, and forced abortions and sterilizations in Tibet?

I don't agree with Cath's statement in the sense that we must blame China for everything/believe theories of wrongdoing without sufficient evidence, but what is true is that you cannot acknowledge the atrocities being committed in Xinjiang and pretend that the Chinese government is not a serial human rights abuser aside from that. What they are doing there is entirely consistent with actions they have taken elsewhere over decades.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies