MA-JMC: Markey +4/+3 in primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:38:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 Senate & House Election Polls
  MA-JMC: Markey +4/+3 in primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MA-JMC: Markey +4/+3 in primary  (Read 1540 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 10:56:14 AM »

I feel like I'm the only one here who wants Kennedy to win lol

You’d have to be blind reading this forum to not see how badly I want Kennedy to win. If Trump wasn’t the President I would care more about this race than the POTUS. I’m the biggest Kennedy supporter there is and at the same time I just happen to not be a Markey guy AT ALL - so I’m about as much on one side of a primary as is possible
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »

Rooting for Markey, but I'm expecting a Kennedy win in the mid or high single digits. Unfortunately.

Speaking as someone who actually knows this state and what’s going on - on the ground. It’s evident that complacency combined with (IDK how else to say it) uninformed voters - has made this thing LIKELY Markey.

It’s frankly embarrassing. This isn’t Warren we’re talking about. It’s ED MARKEY. Against a young and talented politician who is ALSO a Kennedy and Markey is going to win? I almost feel as pathetic as Tennesseee who voted Blackburn over Bredesen.

Aside from being a Kennedy, what is Kennedy's rationale for running?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 02:17:02 PM »

Why do you want Kennedy to win?  Can you name a policy position where you favor him over Markey?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 02:22:39 PM »

Why do you want Kennedy to win?  Can you name a policy position where you favor him over Markey?

Why does there have to be a policy position difference? Why can’t someone simply trust Kennedy to do a better job. Why can’t someone simply like the amount of energy JK3 brings to the campaign more than Markey who against is fairly non existent around these parts.

The whole dont challenge an incumbent thing makes sense at the Presedential level. And maybe in states where a Senate race is a tossup and challenging the incumbent could tilt the race. But in a Safe state where it bears no effect on what party holds the seat - who cares ?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »

Why does there have to be a policy position difference? Why can’t someone simply trust Kennedy to do a better job. Why can’t someone simply like the amount of energy JK3 brings to the campaign more than Markey who against is fairly non existent around these parts.

The whole dont challenge an incumbent thing makes sense at the Presedential level. And maybe in states where a Senate race is a tossup and challenging the incumbent could tilt the race. But in a Safe state where it bears no effect on what party holds the seat - who cares ?

Why do you trust Kennedy to do a better job?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 02:27:04 PM »

Rooting for Markey, but I'm expecting a Kennedy win in the mid or high single digits. Unfortunately.

Speaking as someone who actually knows this state and what’s going on - on the ground. It’s evident that complacency combined with (IDK how else to say it) uninformed voters - has made this thing LIKELY Markey.

It’s frankly embarrassing. This isn’t Warren we’re talking about. It’s ED MARKEY. Against a young and talented politician who is ALSO a Kennedy and Markey is going to win? I almost feel as pathetic as Tennesseee who voted Blackburn over Bredesen.

Aside from being a Kennedy, what is Kennedy's rationale for running?

Not who you were responding to, but his public rationale for running seems to be nothing more than your run-of-the-mill generational change argument (i.e. building out the future Democratic bench).

His private rationale for running, though, is obviously a combination of ambition (he wants to be Senator, probably so he can have a launchpad for a future presidential run) & thinking it might be better for him to run now rather than wait the short time 'til 1 of MA's 2 septuagenarian Senators leaves office (for fear of losing to Pressley when there's an open seat).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 02:32:26 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2020, 03:09:03 PM by Xing »

The thing that really gets me about this primary is that it’s only “ideological” because Kennedy needed to find a “lane” to run in, and realized that running to the left of Markey wouldn’t work, since he’s already sufficiently progressive. Were Markey a fairly moderate Democrat, needless to say Kennedy would be putting on his progressive outfit. I agree with Brucejoel that this is all about his ambition, and while he has the right to run, he’s banking on his last name and the fact that he’s a “fresh face” being enough, and he really doesn’t have anything new to offer. Say what you will about AOC, but she ran on more than just personal ambition and generational change.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 03:20:23 PM »

Markey authored the GND
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 04:30:29 PM »

Markey authored the GND

Why don't you want the Green New Deal?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 01:29:28 PM »

I want Kennedy to win because he seems like a nice young man. I understand I am going to get crucified for my support of "Dynasty Politics" but I think having a high profile Senator is a lot better than a low profile Senator.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 02:54:57 PM »

Go Kennedy
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2020, 09:08:55 AM »

It sure is. Is there something wrong with that?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies