Postal Service backlog sparks worries that ballot delivery could be delayed in November
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:39:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Postal Service backlog sparks worries that ballot delivery could be delayed in November
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Postal Service backlog sparks worries that ballot delivery could be delayed in November  (Read 1062 times)
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 09:36:08 PM »

Can we please get back on topic?

Anyways, I just hope my ballot comes before November 1st. Regardless of my choice I just hope I have a chance to voice it
G_Master
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 09:40:32 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2020, 09:47:04 PM by G_Master »

Stuff like this is why I'm 100% certain Trump is a safe bet for reelection, there's really no way to get around it.

There's no way this is true. Even if there are no mail in votes (not going to happen to this extreme, but okay), people are way too motivated to vote, and so they'll vote early in person if need be. Saying that Trump 100% certainly going to win the election and, that that is a safe bet, is absolute malarkey. This guy is losing, and he's losing big. He's going down, mail in ballots or not.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2020, 01:37:17 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2020, 05:47:10 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2020, 05:58:52 AM by Mine eyes have seen the glory of the crushing of the Trump »

Here is a reasonable deal.

If Biden wins, you go on a self-imposed ban for 1 year starting the day Biden is declared winner.

Not making deals with trolls who won't provide a rebuttal when posting things they don't believe themselves.

If a $5-10 bet will cause you to starve to death, you've got bigger problems than spending all day doomer-posting

Easy to say when you're not poor.

I thought you are 100% certain.

What are you afraid of?

What are YOU afraid of, you still haven't answered my question. You constantly post these articles and then completely lose it when somebody dare agree with what you yourself posted.

What’s your question? Can you restate it?

Why post articles and then proceed to argue with posters who agree and point out the effect the subject that's covered in them are doing to have? It seems pretty pointless and intended to rile people up more than anything at this point.

Nowhere did the article said that Trump is 100% certain to win.

You made that up.

The article makes it pretty clear that Trump is using the postal service to interfere with the election. Every related article I've posted on you've tried to refute without giving a reason. I'll give you that nothing is 100% but nonetheless it's not looking good given the sort of things he's pulling, and things that essentially nothing can be done about at state level.

Hmm...

Stuff like this is why I'm 100% certain Trump is a safe bet for reelection, there's really no way to get around it.

Do explain how this problem is circumvented, I'm all ears.
Republicans in Wisconsin thought blocking Evers' delaying of the election would mean they'd hold that state Supreme Court seat easily. Oops.

It can be just by mailing in ballots very early which im seeing a big campaign to inform people of or by dropping them off election day/voting by other means. Many states allow people to confirm online if their mail-in ballot has been received, Minnesota did for my primary one. Plus it's not as if ballots cast by Republicans come in via a different postal service which is faster.

Also from the article:

The new policies have resulted in at least a two-day delay in scattered parts of the country

Most people who vote by absentee do so well early enough that a two day delay won't matter.

The article also lists another way to circumvent it:

Election clerks are advising voters to drop off their ballot Tuesday rather than sending it back via mail, out of fear that the ballots will not be returned in time to be counted.

And another:
Election officials across the country are warning voters to send their general-election ballots as early as possible to avoid potential delays. The Postal Service recommends voters request their ballots at least 15 days before Election Day and mail their completed ballots at least one week before the due date.

This is obviously a pretty big concern but jumping from it to "Trump is a 100% lock to win because of it" is just mindless hysteria that benefits no one.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2020, 04:05:20 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2020, 06:44:22 PM by Mine eyes have seen the glory of the crushing of the Trump »

I just did an experiment. I put a stamped empty envelope addressed to "myself" (aka my Minneapolis address) in the mailbox. It won't be picked up until tomorrow but I have my mail being forwarded, so I'll see the time it takes to get to Minneapolis and back. August 1 is the ship date, easy to remember.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 04:32:43 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 06:23:43 PM »

And another:
Election officials across the country are warning voters to send their general-election ballots as early as possible to avoid potential delays. The Postal Service recommends voters request their ballots at least 15 days before Election Day and mail their completed ballots at least one week before the due date.

This is obviously a pretty big concern but jumping from it to "Trump is a 100% lock to win because of it" is just mindless hysteria that benefits no one.

My big concern is that every one of these reports I see, people are waiting a month to receive their ballot, and it will likely take as long for it to arrive once mailed out--and that was with primary-level turnout. Which leads me to wonder how voters can even guarantee that their ballot will arrive on time in the first place considering most states, the date to apply for a ballot is less than two months before the election?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2020, 06:39:34 PM »

And another:

My big concern is that every one of these reports I see, people are waiting a month to receive their ballot, and it will likely take as long for it to arrive once mailed out--and that was with primary-level turnout. Which leads me to wonder how voters can even guarantee that their ballot will arrive on time in the first place considering most states, the date to apply for a ballot is less than two months before the election?

How common are these reports?

My experience: I applied for an absentee ballot early. All Minnesota ones pre-applied were mailed June 28. I got mine in ND about a week later. It went to my Minneapolis address and then was forwarded to ND. I still got it in about a week. I mailed it back July 6. According to the MN SoS site it was received and accepted July 10.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2020, 06:43:34 PM »

And another:

My experience: I applied for an absentee ballot early. All Minnesota ones pre-applied were mailed June 28. I got mine in ND about a week later. It went to my Minneapolis address and then was forwarded to ND. I still got it in about a week. I mailed it back July 6. According to the MN SoS site it was received and accepted July 10.

How many states are that early? In Georgia you can't even apply for an absentee ballot until September 15 and most states don't mail them out automatically without applying.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2020, 06:46:40 PM »

And another:

How many states are that early? In Georgia you can't even apply for an absentee ballot until September 15 and most states don't mail them out automatically without applying.
This was for the primary which is August 11. Minnesota started early and absentee voting June 28. That's 44 days ahead. September 15 is actually further out until election day. And you have to apply in Minnesota but applications started in April.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2020, 06:58:56 PM »

Whether this guarantees Trump's re-election or not, which I still don't think it does, it is definitely his best gambit for re-election and something he may have planned for since the pandemic's inevitable effect on the election became a reality. I might be giving him too much credit though, he truly might just not want to not fund the postal service purely out of petty spite for Jeff Bezos, or whatever, with this whole potential mess being a bonus afterthought.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies