Do you think Ruth Bader Ginsburg did the liberals a disservice by staying so long? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:16:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you think Ruth Bader Ginsburg did the liberals a disservice by staying so long? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you think Ruth Bader Ginsburg did the liberals a disservice by staying so long?  (Read 2224 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: August 07, 2020, 04:01:27 AM »

I've never seen a 15-year proposal, but the intent of the 18-year term is based on a nine Justice Court where a new Justice would be appointed every two years. As much as I prefer a limitation on life tenure, I think that only deals with half of the problem.

I think we need a new way of nominating Justices. Perhaps the President alone should not be the one nominating Supreme Court Justices. Maybe some form of bipartisan commission would work best (perhaps a 5-member commission consisting of the President, Speaker of the House, House Minority Leader, Senate Majority Leader, and Senate Minority Leader). That commission could only nominate a Justice with at least one member of the minority party of the total commission in support (or maybe even a unanimous vote). The Senate would then be required to vote on the nominee within a certain period of time. With this setup, the confirmation threshold could be increased to a 2/3 majority.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 11:28:57 AM »

I prefer the recommendation made by Alan Dershowitz about 19 years ago in his book "Supreme Injustice: How the High Court Hijacked Election 2000," published in 2001.

"The time has come to change the criteria for Supreme Court nominees and to depoliticize the process of appointing justices. ... (Page 202.)
"The first step must be to distance the process from partisan politics and to demand that greatness be the major criterion for appointment to the high court, as it is in many other countries, and as it has often been in the history of this nation. The Senate and the president could begin by jointly appointing a nonpartisan commission to gather the names of the two dozen or so most distinguished lawyers and judges in the nation, assessed by peer review under the broadest criterion of greatness, without regard to party affiliation, race, gender, ideology or other such factors. After a through investigation, this list would probably be pared down to about ten candidates. The president would be expected -- though he could not be compelled -- to pick a nominee from that pared-down list, unless he could produce good reasons why another person, not included on the commission's list, qualifies as a potentially great justice. Any name selected from the commission's list would carry a strong presumption of confirmability by the Senate." (Page 203.)

Dershowitz does not know how to define the "greatness" of a lawyer or judge, but in my opinion, it would necessarily include a strong commitment to objectivity.

I know we're off topic, but that's not a terrible idea. However, I'd rather we amend the Constitution to change the appointment process. I think it's a far better solution for the future of the judiciary.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies