Idaho Federal Judge rules that transgender women and girls can participate in women's sports
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:25:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Idaho Federal Judge rules that transgender women and girls can participate in women's sports
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Idaho Federal Judge rules that transgender women and girls can participate in women's sports  (Read 1986 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 10:55:19 AM »

If this gets appealed higher, I'd assume Transgender men being allowed to compete in Men's sports would also be possible.
are there rules preventing this now?  I was under the impression non-biological men could compete in men's leagues already.  Like if a girl wanted to play baseball (or other sport not offered to women) in HS, she could play on the boy's teams.  At least that's how it was when I was a kid.  (I knew somebody who knew a girl who was a kicker for her HS football team for an anecdotal example)

Certainly if a non-biological man could throw a 104 mph fastball with decent control they'd be in the MLB.

The reason we don't see women or transmen playing in high level men's leagues isn't because of rules or sexism, it's because of nature.

I think that depends on where you are.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »

If this gets appealed higher, I'd assume Transgender men being allowed to compete in Men's sports would also be possible.
are there rules preventing this now?  I was under the impression non-biological men could compete in men's leagues already.  Like if a girl wanted to play baseball (or other sport not offered to women) in HS, she could play on the boy's teams.  At least that's how it was when I was a kid.  (I knew somebody who knew a girl who was a kicker for her HS football team for an anecdotal example)

Certainly if a non-biological man could throw a 104 mph fastball with decent control they'd be in the MLB.

I've always wondered why I've never seen women in baseball, even at say a Single-A level. If you can find a woman pitcher that could throw a good knuckleball she could strike out some major league batters. I think it's down to a softball vs. baseball difference and women's baseball outside of east Asia isn't much of a thing. Believe a Mexican minor league team tried to put a woman on the roster and ended up not doing it, saying it was just a marketing gimmick.

There are sports in the Olympics that should be coed and I don't get the reason they're not other than to ensure the number of men's sport and women's sport athletes and medal winners are more equal. There's no reason to have men's and women's archery and shooting, they could be combined. The only coed sport at the Olympics is I think equestrian.

This had nothing to deal with transgender, but I remember a story from years ago of a boy playing for a girls field hockey team in high school (maybe New York State?). There was no field hockey team for boys of course and he wanted to play field hockey. The team made the state final, won every game, and I think they won the final by forfeit when the other team refused to play them.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »

I've always wondered why I've never seen women in baseball, even at say a Single-A level. If you can find a woman pitcher that could throw a good knuckleball she could strike out some major league batters.
modern baseball players just crush knuckleballers, wiki tells me there are 2 pro pitchers with major league experience and neither of those currently has a team.  I don't think one can be successful if their only pitch is a knuckleball.  Sure, a lady can learn to throw a slider or a curve, but never as good as a top dude could because of the strength required.
I think it's down to a softball vs. baseball difference and women's baseball outside of east Asia isn't much of a thing.
that's a big part of it, but not as big a part as nature.
There are sports in the Olympics that should be coed and I don't get the reason they're not other than to ensure the number of men's sport and women's sport athletes and medal winners are more equal. There's no reason to have men's and women's archery and shooting, they could be combined. The only coed sport at the Olympics is I think equestrian.
they even separate the genders for things like darts and chess.  (some)Men are just more competitive than (all) women.
This had nothing to deal with transgender, but I remember a story from years ago of a boy playing for a girls field hockey team in high school. There was no field hockey team for boys of course and he wanted to play field hockey. The team made the state final, won every game, and I think they won the final by forfeit when the other team refused to play them.
it was a big deal in Mass. a few years ago, don't know the current status.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2020, 12:59:22 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2020, 01:02:53 PM by StateBoiler »

they even separate the genders for things like darts and chess.  (some)Men are just more competitive than (all) women.

Best female chess player in the world for a long time was Hungarian Judit Polgar. She refused to ever play for the Women's World Chess Championship because she said there was no reason a woman can't play chess as good as a man.

Auto racing is a sport that is coed. But even there some people have started a "Formula W". I'm contemptuous about it and think it's more to get a bit of a name behind a woman's driver and then get her in F1 for marketing reasons so the European market can have their own Danica Patrick. You can buy a ride in any European racing series provided the money is right, so that they created their own series when it would've been cheaper to pick say the best 6 and fund their rides shows they wanted to create a series that they were ensured a woman would win.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies