If Hillary never ran in 2008...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:02:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Hillary never ran in 2008...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Hillary never ran in 2008...  (Read 475 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2020, 04:28:30 AM »

... would the Democratic primaries have been a clean sweep for Obama, or would Edwards have ended up as his main competitor, or emerges someone else? Is the ticket still Obama/Biden?
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 04:30:35 AM »

Edwards probably would've won a few primaries. But Obama would've beaten any challenger in 2008. Both in the primary and in the general. I remember feeling he was going to easily become president when he first announced.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 05:39:55 AM »

If Hillary doesn't run in 2008 we probably see a larger field of candidates it depends on when Hillary says she isn't going to run if it is in 2006 or early 2007 I could see more candidates jumping in like Al Gore. Obama got very lucky in the 2008 cycle, in all honesty, he didn't run a particularly good campaign just both Hillary and McCain ran bad campaigns.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 08:02:20 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2020, 08:41:48 AM by FalterinArc »

Evan Bayh, Vilsack and Easley run if she doesn’t. Possibly even more people.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 11:32:58 AM »

If Hillary doesn't run in 2008 we probably see a larger field of candidates it depends on when Hillary says she isn't going to run if it is in 2006 or early 2007 I could see more candidates jumping in like Al Gore. Obama got very lucky in the 2008 cycle, in all honesty, he didn't run a particularly good campaign just both Hillary and McCain ran bad campaigns.

Huh

Obama 2008 campaign was great and iconic. Hillary’s campaign wasn’t that bad. It’s just Obama’s campaign did a great job getting out the vote and exciting the base.

Now, Gore COULD have run and won. But I still think Obama’s got a good shot.
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 01:57:36 PM »

I think if Hillary didn't run in '08, Obama would have a harder time as a relatively new Senator and newer member of the party. A lot of his support in the party came from those who were not interested in another establishment candidate. That's a large portion of Bernie's base and why we saw a lot of progressive candidates this year.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 10:57:50 PM »

Obama would have had a much easier road to the nomination, as I find it hard to imagine who his closest challenger would be.

Edwards would have been wrecked by the Rielle Hunter scandal.

Dodd would've destroyed by subprime mortgage crisis.

Biden would've said something even more stupid than what he actually said on the campaign trail in 2008.

Richardson would've been sunk by corruption allegations as Governor of New Mexico.

Ultimately Obama wins easily, winning (almost) every state, with his closest competitors being Biden, and in a knock-on effect of Clinton not running, Vilsack (who in this world wins Iowa uncontested. Obama wins New Hampshire instead.)

The ticket likely would still be Obama/Biden...though Clinton not running does make Obama/Sebelius or Obama/Clinton at least plausible now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies