What would the 2012 election have looked like if the national environment were like 2014?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:33:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  What would the 2012 election have looked like if the national environment were like 2014?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would the 2012 election have looked like if the national environment were like 2014?  (Read 264 times)
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2020, 01:50:08 AM »

Why I picked some state choices:

Nevada: Although Obama won NV comfortably in 2012, In 2014 Republicans EASILY won the Governors mansion again and they also won the popular vote in the House. If Obama and Romney ran under these conditions. Although it would've been much closer, Romney probably narrowly wins Nevada under these conditions.

Colorado: Although Democrats won the Governors race. Republicans won a high profile senate race and also carried the House popular vote. Romney again narrowly wins Colorado.

New Mexico: Under these conditions, New Mexico would be competitive. Democrats won the Senate and House popular vote by healthy margins but Republicans did win the Governors race. Obama wins New Mexico by 5% or so.

Iowa: 2014 was a very good year for Republicans in Iowa. They won the House popular vote, governors race and Senate race all relatively easily. Romney wins Iowa by 5-6%.

Wisconsin: Obama comfortably won Wisconsin in our real timeline but Republicans were able to win the House popular vote and win the Governors mansion in a high stakes environment. Coupled with Paul Ryan and Romney probably narrowly wins Wisconsin as well.

Michigan: Democrats won the House popular vote in Michigan in 2014 though Republicans won the Governors race. This one probably would've come down to Flint and since I think Obama did better than I think Romney would've done with handling the Flint crisis. Obama wins Michigan by 2-3%

Ohio: This would've received a lot of attention in this scenario like in the real election. Republicans won every major race in Ohio that year and won the popular vote in the House. Romney wins Ohio.

Pennsylvania: Although Republicans won the House popular vote, Democrats easily won the Governors mansion. Coupled with the fact that Obama won Pennsylvania by 5% in 2012 in our real timeline, Obama narrowly wins here.

New Hampshire: Democrats won the House popular vote and every major statewide office. Obama wins here probably by about the same margin he won by in the actual 2012 election.

Virginia: This was the toughest call for me. Republicans did a very good job at getting out their base to vote but still narrowly lost the Senate race. Republicans did win the House vote. I would imaging both sides would give everything they got to win the state but like in our election actual I think Obama just barely ekes out a win by under 1% but it would be the closest state of the election.

North Carolina: Republicans won the high profile Senate race and the House popular vote. Romney won North Carolina in 2012 so no reason to believe he doesn't win it here.

Florida: Republicans narrowly won a high profile Senate race and won the House popular vote. Nothing much to say here, Romney wins the state by about 2-3%.

Romney wins 284-254.

Closest states: Virginia, Nevada, Colorado, Wisconsin.

Romney wins the popular vote by 2%.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 03:46:16 AM »

Romney/Ryan 338 EV
Obama/Biden 200 EV

Nevada: Although Obama won NV comfortably in 2012, In 2014 Republicans EASILY won the Governors mansion again and they also won the popular vote in the House. If Obama and Romney ran under these conditions. Although it would've been much closer, Romney probably narrowly wins Nevada under these conditions.

Colorado: Although Democrats won the Governors race. Republicans won a high profile senate race and also carried the House popular vote. Romney again narrowly wins Colorado.

New Mexico: Under these conditions, New Mexico would be competitive. Democrats won the Senate and House popular vote by healthy margins but Republicans did win the Governors race. Obama wins New Mexico by 5% or so.

Iowa: 2014 was a very good year for Republicans in Iowa. They won the House popular vote, governors race and Senate race all relatively easily. Romney wins Iowa by 5-6%.

Wisconsin: Obama comfortably won Wisconsin in our real timeline but Republicans were able to win the House popular vote and win the Governors mansion in a high stakes environment. Coupled with Paul Ryan and Romney probably narrowly wins Wisconsin as well.

Michigan: Democrats won the House popular vote in Michigan in 2014 though Republicans won the Governors race. This one probably would've come down to Flint and since I think Obama did better than I think Romney would've done with handling the Flint crisis. Obama wins Michigan by 2-3%

Ohio: This would've received a lot of attention in this scenario like in the real election. Republicans won every major race in Ohio that year and won the popular vote in the House. Romney wins Ohio.

Pennsylvania: Although Republicans won the House popular vote, Democrats easily won the Governors mansion. Coupled with the fact that Obama won Pennsylvania by 5% in 2012 in our real timeline, Obama narrowly wins here.

New Hampshire: Democrats won the House popular vote and every major statewide office. Obama wins here probably by about the same margin he won by in the actual 2012 election.

Virginia: This was the toughest call for me. Republicans did a very good job at getting out their base to vote but still narrowly lost the Senate race. Republicans did win the House vote. I would imaging both sides would give everything they got to win the state but like in our election actual I think Obama just barely ekes out a win by under 1% but it would be the closest state of the election.

North Carolina: Republicans won the high profile Senate race and the House popular vote. Romney won North Carolina in 2012 so no reason to believe he doesn't win it here.

Florida: Republicans narrowly won a high profile Senate race and won the House popular vote. Nothing much to say here, Romney wins the state by about 2-3%.

Romney wins 284-254.

The three big changes I can think of on your map are Virginia, Michigan and Pennsylvania. Romney is a stronger candidate overall than Tom Corbett and Rick Snyder, and runs about even in strength with Ed Gillespie-the wave puts him over the top there (though it probably doesn't carry Gillespie to victory). I also have Romney carrying ME-2 and New Hampshire. As a New England Republican he'd be in great shape to pick up those five electoral votes.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 04:25:39 AM »

Romney/Ryan 338 EV
Obama/Biden 200 EV

Romney wins 284-254.

The three big changes I can think of on your map are Virginia, Michigan and Pennsylvania. Romney is a stronger candidate overall than Tom Corbett and Rick Snyder, and runs about even in strength with Ed Gillespie-the wave puts him over the top there (though it probably doesn't carry Gillespie to victory). I also have Romney carrying ME-2 and New Hampshire. As a New England Republican he'd be in great shape to pick up those five electoral votes.

Yeah. I had a hard time picking those three as well. If I had to guess how close some of these states were. I'd guess:

Virginia: Obama by 0.3%
Nevada: Romney by 1.2%
Wisconsin: Romney by 1.5% (tipping point)
Colorado: Romney by 1.7%
Pennsylvania: Obama by 1.9%
Michigan: Obama by 2.1%
Florida: Romney by 2.7%
Ohio: Romney by 3.9%
Minnesota (didn't talk about it before but): Obama by 4.5%
New Mexico: Obama by 4.8%
New Hampshire: Obama by 5.2%
Iowa: Romney by 5.5%
North Carolina: Romney by 8.1%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »