Who's more likely to party switch?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:08:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who's more likely to party switch?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who's more likely to party switch?
Joe Manchin V 3.0

Lisa Murkowski

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Who's more likely to party switch?  (Read 1457 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2020, 08:14:58 PM »

Both politicians are considered moderates, and frequently buck their own party. They hold values that are no longer the cornerstones of their respective parties at this point in time. Both generally supported their parties nominee in 2016, only to buck them later on, however neither has consistently voted against their own party. Who is more likely to do a party switch?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 08:20:47 PM »

Murkowski. Manchin said he will not switch.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:24:18 PM »

Murkowski. Manchin said he will not switch.

Manchin has said a lot of things that end up not being true for the better or worse. He's a politician who has to juggle many plates at once for political survival, so sometimes he says things that aren't true for political survival.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 08:29:29 PM »

Murkowski is younger and under more primary pressure, whereas I think Manchin is happy to sail into the sunset in 2024 so party switching would do nothing for him.

I think if Murkowski does leave the Republican party though it will be to sit as an Independent.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 08:30:57 PM »

Murkowski is younger and under more primary pressure, whereas I think Manchin is happy to sail into the sunset in 2024 so party switching would do nothing for him.

I think if Murkowski does leave the Republican party though it will be to sit as an Independent.

Just curious, does Murkowski have to caucus with anyone? Could you have a senate where literally no party had a majority?
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 08:53:17 PM »

If Manchin didn't switch before his 2018 election, I highly doubt he ever will.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 09:38:53 PM »

If Dems enshrine DC statehood,  in the constitution,  then Murkowski.  Manchin is likely to run for Gov and appoint his replacement in 2024.

Trump is getting stronger in the South, and MT, and KS and Warnock has slipped in the polls and Ossoff has Covid 19, a tied Senate and 278 EC map is most likely: CO, ME replace AL and Ds win 2 of 3 AZ, IA and NC.

McSally is within 4 of Kelly
Tillis is likeable still
Ernst, well, its IA
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 09:42:22 PM »

Manchin is a tried and true Democrat.

Murkowski is similarly so and comes from a GOP dynasty, but I believe her ties to the party are much weaker than Joe's.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 09:57:32 PM »

Manchin is a Democrat through & through (albeit one at the federal level representing not just a red state, but West Virginia). He's only as all-in on Democratic policy as representing his state at the federal level allows him to be, but he's still very much all-in to the extent that he can be.

On the other hand, I don't think the same can be said for Murkowski anymore with regards to the GOP. She didn't have to save Obamacare. She doesn't have to be pro-LGBT or pro-choice. She didn't have to oppose Kavanaugh.

It's this kind of stuff that leads me to believe Murkowski leaving the GOP is infinitely more likely than Manchin leaving the Democrats.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 11:18:53 PM »

Anyone answering Manchin has no idea what they’re talking about.
swf541

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 11:21:22 PM »

Anyone answering Manchin has no idea what they’re talking about.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 01:03:48 AM »

This

If Manchin wanted to change parties, he would definitely vote against impeachment
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 06:22:34 AM »

I don't think either will switch. It's just such a rare occurrence and I think Murkowski would rather stay the course, since she's already survived a defeat in a primary, than take a huge gamble which, outside the South, practically never works.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 06:24:01 AM »

Neither will switch.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 07:33:22 AM »

Just curious, does Murkowski have to caucus with anyone? Could you have a senate where literally no party had a majority?

Senators are not required to caucus with a party. Dean Barkley during his two months in the Senate in 2002 did not caucus with Democrats nor with Republicans. So that scenario is theoretically possible.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 07:38:01 AM »

By the way, this is how I feel about this:

Lisa Murkowski has a 1 in [insert very large number] chance of party switching.
Joe Manchin has a 1 in [insert very large number squared] chance of party switching.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 10:48:02 AM »

Senators are not required to caucus with a party. Dean Barkley during his two months in the Senate in 2002 did not caucus with Democrats nor with Republicans. So that scenario is theoretically possible.

It is theoretically possible, but it's worth noting that it would deprive that senator of committee assignments. I could see a scenario where a senator is kind of a free agent at the start of each Congress, but it seems unlikely anyone would choose to caucus as an independent as anything other than a temporary solution.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 10:50:40 AM »

It is theoretically possible, but it's worth noting that it would deprive that senator of committee assignments. I could see a scenario where a senator is kind of a free agent at the start of each Congress, but it seems unlikely anyone would choose to caucus as an independent as anything other than a temporary solution.

Yes, I know that the Senator would be deprived of committee assignments.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 11:43:01 AM »

Manchin has zero reason to switch parties. He's almost certainly going to retire in 2024, so he doesn't have any more elections to worry about. Not to mention that he generally votes with the Democrats when it truly matters, except for the Kavanaugh vote. If he was going to switch parties, he would have already. Why would he run as a Democrat in 2018, going through the most difficult race of his career, just to switch parties? No sane person would do that.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 12:04:20 PM »

Manchin voted for Kavanaugh, but he wasn't the deciding vote. Susan Collins was. If Manchin voted no, Mike Pence would have been the deciding vote.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 12:14:16 PM »

Yeah Manchin's vote during Kavanaugh was so transparently political that I was surprised WV voters did not really punish him for that. But it's also why I never had a problem with it, cause I knew he was going to vote no to sink the nomination if it really came down to it.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2020, 12:18:52 PM »

Yeah Manchin's vote during Kavanaugh was so transparently political that I was surprised WV voters did not really punish him for that. But it's also why I never had a problem with it, cause I knew he was going to vote no to sink the nomination if it really came down to it.

I mean, it is West Virginia...
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »

The candidate who won with no party support after losing their primary.
PAK Man

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2020, 03:20:41 PM »

Murkowski, but if she does, it'll be to independent, not Democratic. Manchin's not going to switch parties.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »

Murkowski will switch, especially if there is a 50-50 Senate.

Manchin is done with federal politics.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies