Is Texas becoming a battleground state a sign the 6th party system is over (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:01:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Texas becoming a battleground state a sign the 6th party system is over (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Texas becoming a battleground state a sign the 6th party system is over  (Read 3767 times)
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« on: August 01, 2020, 03:28:21 PM »

Honestly, I think there's some pretty sound data which suggests the sixth party system has been over for a while, if you define it as starting in 1968. I like to think of 1968 to 1988 as an "era", and 1992 to present as another era. Others consider 68 to 88 as a "dealignment period" before the sixth era, which started in 1992. The really woke people (and Wikipedia) think the sixth era started in 1968 and still continues today. We might have a better idea in twenty years.

I think the period between 1992-1994 is likely when we entered a seventh party system. One based on urban vs rural. As much as people like to talk about 2016 it was really 1992 when Democrat flipped suburban counties like Ventura, Bucks, and Westchester. 1994 was when Republicans started eating in to Democratic rural areas specifically in Appalachia and white voters in the black belt region.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »

Honestly, I think there's some pretty sound data which suggests the sixth party system has been over for a while, if you define it as starting in 1968. I like to think of 1968 to 1988 as an "era", and 1992 to present as another era. Others consider 68 to 88 as a "dealignment period" before the sixth era, which started in 1992. The really woke people (and Wikipedia) think the sixth era started in 1968 and still continues today. We might have a better idea in twenty years.

I think the period between 1992-1994 is likely when we entered a seventh party system. One based on urban vs rural. As much as people like to talk about 2016 it was really 1992 when Democrat flipped suburban counties like Ventura, Bucks, and Westchester. 1994 was when Republicans started eating in to Democratic rural areas specifically in Appalachia and white voters in the black belt region.

That really didnt happen till 2000.House races in Appalachia in 94 were Democratic

Even look at the seante race in PA in 1994

or VA

When I said Republicans were eating into Appalachia I was talking about margins. Wofford and Robb underperformed Dukkakis in Appalachia. And in Robb case he actually won VA while Dukkais lost it by 20 points.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies