Argentina General Discussion 🇦🇷 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:29:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Argentina General Discussion 🇦🇷 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you have voted for president in 2019?
Fernández (Todos)

Macri (JxC)

Lavagna (CF)

del Caño (FIT)

Centurión (NOS)

Espert (Unite)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Argentina General Discussion 🇦🇷  (Read 12383 times)
Red Velvet
Brazil

« on: December 30, 2020, 01:11:52 PM »

I’m so so happy for you Argentina! And jealous as well, must admit. How great must be to have leadership that puts science, public health and human rights over religion and obscurantism! I want to switch.

Alberto Fernandez did what he compromised to do in his campaign and now the abortion right, the power of a woman to choose, is officially LAW in Argentina. Latin America in terms of this specific issue tends to be more backwards than the world, the opposite of what happened with gay marriage, with a significant number of countries being leaders and first to approve in the world. But when I look at the abortion map, I feel ashamed about how women are treated here, we’re in the companion of authoritarian regimes in the world on this issue.

Hopefully the message Argentina is sending works as an inspiration to the whole region that progress can be achieved. It will take a lot of time but Argentina helped it give a significant step forward. Thanks, hermanos!
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 07:26:10 PM »

This is a sad step backwards on human rights in Argentina, but one which I believe will soon be overturned.

So awful for Argentina to join the developed countries and leave the company of anti-abortion human rights paradises, such as Iran, Saudi Arabia and other authoritarian theocracies or with lots of religion presence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law

Religion is something that should stay very far away from politics.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 08:22:28 PM »

I am disappointed that the new law later retains the rape exception, which is particularly morally insufferable. And of course I am very burnt out by the discourse/rhetoric. That's all I am going to say.

Religion is something that should stay very far away from politics.

Could you qualify the statement? I hope you don't support French-style laicism.

I was very clear.

Just like forcing people to follow your religion through politics is wrong, so is to force people to not publicly exerce their religion.

Decriminalization of abortion has nothing to do with French-style secularism, if your religion says abortion is bad, then you just don’t do it yourself. Everyone else is free to follow their path and their individual right of freedom to choose without the blocking of the State.

Just like Muslims in France should be free to publicly express their religion. The “teaching” lessons in France have hidden Christian backgrounds and are designed to provoke and segregate specifically Muslims, it’s fake secularism because there’s a clear bias from the State.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 03:55:21 PM »

I usually have a positive view on Alberto Fernandez.

But today he lost an opportunity to shut up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vugLeR9o2Hg

Lmao, Argentina is white memes incoming.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 09:05:34 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2021, 09:11:20 PM by Red Velvet »

A very rambling speech, the Brazil part barely is heard (I had to watch it twice to hear it well), but it's a perfect example of a political speech where he talks a lot and says nothing.

He’s basically saying Argentina is a white country (Boats = European colonizers) in order to kiss Spanish ass since this is an Argentina-Spain relations kind of event, acting like Argentina is some sort of their direct descendant more than like, Mexico because there it has more darker looking people.

And he also compares it to other Latin American countries (Mexicans came from Indians = Indigenous; Brazilians came from Jungle = Africans) in order to reinforce Argentina’s European-ness lol. As if most Argentinians didn’t have some Indigenous inheritance like in other countries, or as if people from other places could be reduced to one single origin instead of mixed backgrounds from all over the place.

It’s basically the countryball meme coming into life.

The worst thing is that it allowed a racist like Bolsonaro to act like he celebrates diversity in his country (we all know he doesn’t), use minorities image for self-promotion after contributing for their erasure and mock the left-wing Argentinian president as the real racist.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 09:12:43 AM »

People are overreacting to the Alberto comment because they really didn’t expect it from him though. I wish there was the same big commotion whenever my president said something scandalous but people treat it as “meh, just another day of shame” and then forget it.

Some southern Brazilians have the exact same type of condescension towards the rest of the country because of their ancestry and that’s more of these people’s loss because the culture from other places is very unique and awesome. People wrongly perceive and associate European influence with being more rich because for so long that’s what racist structures following colonization allowed.

And that’s certainly not generalized to Argentina, but to Latin America and also the whole world. Only reason people like to delegate the meme to Argentina is because there’s more frustration there with the structural racist promises (being white = being rich and highly developed) not being really fully fulfilled like in other places in the west. So in times of economic crisis and general dissatisfaction they can find comfort based on these racial topics (poverty is on the rise but I’m still on the white club with those developed countries).

I think regardless of how white Argentina is or isn’t (that’s not really the interesting discussion imo), it’s important that they clearly see that they will always have much more in common with Latin America than with Europe. Latin America is the most diverse place in all the world because it’s a region of immigrants where there was tons of mixing, something also very present in the Argentina history regardless if fewer Indigenous people lived there. So if the region unites and gets along despite all these racial differences that vary between each place in the region, respecting these differences, we would be an example to the whole world because big clashes about this constantly happen all the time there (ex: Europeans super mad about Africans and Arabs “erasing” European identity; US people having the same anxiety of becoming more mixed and receiving lots of mixed Latino immigrants; etc).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies