Landon 36-Stevenson 56 voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:00:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Landon 36-Stevenson 56 voters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Landon 36-Stevenson 56 voters?  (Read 743 times)
foolcase
boringindy
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2020, 11:53:34 PM »

I really can't think of a single one here.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 05:08:08 AM »

The midwest must had some. could have been R but disliked WW2 involvement and Eisenhower breaking Germany. might be some old germans
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 07:19:38 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2020, 05:48:15 PM by Battista Minola 1616 »

A very old member of the Black elite who shifted from Republican to Democrat only after the 1948 DNC or even later. In 1956 he was ambivalent but admired Estes Kefauver for not signing the Southern Manifesto, probably voted while holding nose.
Might have met Jesse Owens personally in 1936.
Likely frustrated by W. E. B. DuBois's flirtations with Marx.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 08:40:34 AM »

Well, there appears to be one Landon 36-Eisenhower 56 county: Oglala Lakota County (formerly known as Shannon County), SD. Today it is 94% Native American and the poorest county per-capita. Seems a fascinating case, maybe it swung because more Native Americans were voting by 1956, rather than voters actually switching?

𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 04:55:33 PM »

Well, there appears to be one Landon 36-Eisenhower 56 county: Oglala Lakota County (formerly known as Shannon County), SD. Today it is 94% Native American and the poorest county per-capita. Seems a fascinating case, maybe it swung because more Native Americans were voting by 1956, rather than voters actually switching?

I'm inclined to believe that more Native Americans voted Democratic in 1956 than in 1936. With that said, that county in South Dakota is weird - see also the unexplained massive surge of voters it saw in 1940.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 05:03:53 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2020, 05:08:10 PM by Alcibiades »

I'm inclined to believe that more Native Americans voted Democratic in 1956 than in 1936. With that said, that county in South Dakota is weird - see also the unexplained massive surge of voters it saw in 1940.

You might be right - the GOP Presidents of the 20s, particularly Coolidge, were pretty progressive for their time on Native American civil rights. Maybe that was still having an effect by 1936.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 02:42:53 PM »

Probably a pro-civil rights Republican from East Tennessee who felt that Estes Kefauver was an excellent Senator (due to his pro-civil rights stance and opposition to the Southern Manifesto) and would have made a good Vice President under Adlai Stevenson.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 05:32:55 PM »

"In 1924, Congress adopted the Indian Citizenship Act, which granted citizenship to “all non- citizen Indians born within the territorial limits of the United States.” Although this law definitively granted Indians citizenship, it still left open the question of whether Indians could vote in South Dakota. Once again, state officials determined that an Indian could only vote if he completely severed his tribal relations and fully adopted the habits of “civilized” life – a determination to be made on a case-by-case basis. South Dakota did not repeal the state law denying Indians the right to vote until 1951, making it one of the last states in the nation to officially grant the right to vote to all Indians."

www.protectcivilrights.org/pdf/voting/SouthDakotaVRA.pdf
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 06:31:13 PM »

Probably a pro-civil rights Republican from East Tennessee who felt that Estes Kefauver was an excellent Senator (due to his pro-civil rights stance and opposition to the Southern Manifesto) and would have made a good Vice President under Adlai Stevenson.

Considering that Alf Landon had his arse beaten even in Eastern Tennessee in 1936 (while in 1956 Eisenhower triumphed there) and that Republicans in Eastern Tennessee were not exactly bleeding for civil rights (although they were certainly more supportive than most Tennessee Democrats), I am skeptical.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 09:19:30 PM »

A republican who changed their views and became a democrat
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 10:05:48 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2020, 05:51:43 AM by MATTROSE94 »

Considering that Alf Landon had his arse beaten even in Eastern Tennessee in 1936 (while in 1956 Eisenhower triumphed there) and that Republicans in Eastern Tennessee were not exactly bleeding for civil rights (although they were certainly more supportive than most Tennessee Democrats), I am skeptical.
Even though Dwight Eisenhower did a lot better than Alf Landon in East Tennessee in 1952 and 1956, I am sure that there were at least a few voters in that area that matched my description. As for the civil rights stuff, I meant relative to Tennessee Democrats. I know that the two Republican members of Congress during the 1950s (B. Carroll Reece and Howard Baker Sr.) from East Tennessee refused to sign the Southern Manifesto, supported the 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Acts, and the 24th Amendment, which abolished the poll tax in federal elections. Also, iirc, East Tennessee was once the first areas of the state to begin desegregation, with some areas of the region such as Knoxville having commenced integration in 1960.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 04:59:16 AM »

A republican who changed their views and became a democrat

That is really a cop-out.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 05:57:33 AM »

Even though Dwight Eisenhower did a lot better than Alf Landon in East Tennessee in 1952 and 1956, I am sure that there were at least a few voters in that area that matched my description. As for the civil rights stuff, I meant relative to Tennessee Democrats. I know that the two Republican members of Congress during the 1950s (B. Carroll Reece and Howard Baker Jr.) from East Tennessee refused to sign the Southern Manifesto, supported the 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Acts, and the 24th Amendment, which abolished the poll tax in federal elections. Also, iirc, East Tennessee was once the first areas of the state to begin desegregation, with some areas of the region such as Knoxville having commenced integration in 1960.

It was Howard Baker Sr., but otherwise your post stands.

However, notice that the three Republicans from East Tennessee (Jimmy Quillen, Irene Baker and Bill Brock) voted against the Civil Rights Act 1964, and again the next year Jimmy Quillen, John Duncan Sr. and Bill Brock voted against the original House version of the Voting Rights Act 1965.
(Yes, Irene Baker was the widow of Howard Baker Sr.)
I mistakenly put Howard Baker Jr. instead of Sr. in my post. At least in the 1950s, East Tennessee was moderately pro-civil rights, but moved towards a more anti-civil rights position in the 1960s as integration increased.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 06:02:58 AM »

Even though Dwight Eisenhower did a lot better than Alf Landon in East Tennessee in 1952 and 1956, I am sure that there were at least a few voters in that area that matched my description. As for the civil rights stuff, I meant relative to Tennessee Democrats. I know that the two Republican members of Congress during the 1950s (B. Carroll Reece and Howard Baker Jr.) from East Tennessee refused to sign the Southern Manifesto, supported the 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Acts, and the 24th Amendment, which abolished the poll tax in federal elections. Also, iirc, East Tennessee was once the first areas of the state to begin desegregation, with some areas of the region such as Knoxville having commenced integration in 1960.

It was Howard Baker Sr., but otherwise your post stands.

However, notice that the three Republicans from East Tennessee (Jimmy Quillen, Irene Baker and Bill Brock) voted against the Civil Rights Act 1964, and again the next year Jimmy Quillen, John Duncan Sr. and Bill Brock voted against the original House version of the Voting Rights Act 1965.
(Yes, Irene Baker was the widow of Howard Baker Sr.)
I mistakenly put Howard Baker Jr. instead of Sr. in my post. At least in the 1950s, East Tennessee was moderately pro-civil rights, but moved towards a more anti-civil rights position in the 1960s as integration increased.

I deleted my post by mistake because my computer lagged and for a minute I could not see your following answer (the one I am responding to right now) but I stand by it.
Anyway yes, it might be because integration was happening too fast for them.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 09:57:47 AM »

The midwest must had some. could have been R but disliked WW2 involvement and Eisenhower breaking Germany. might be some old germans

May have been some, but overall Eisenhower was strongly supported by his fellow Midwestern Germans; must have been nearly 2-1 looking at the county map. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies