Opinion of William Jennings Bryan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:32:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of William Jennings Bryan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What do you think of him?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Opinion of William Jennings Bryan?  (Read 1931 times)
Escape Pod Zero
trumphacker

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2020, 09:56:35 PM »

Massive HP. In addition to being a populist, (which is basically democratic fascism), he was anti evolution. Also, my quote.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 02:59:40 AM »

Same as all the Jim Crow Prez HP. FDR was the first non Jim Crow Prez, Frankfurter, Jackson, Douglas and Black voted for Brown
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 03:03:16 AM »

HP
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 07:24:18 AM »

Super FF
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 08:04:14 AM »

He believed in segregation
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »

Had some good ideas, but a racist. HP.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 10:11:45 AM »

Eh, I believe that his heart was in the right place and I have to kind of eye roll at the "he was a racist" accusation that is always thrown around ... a study of primary sources regarding past politics makes it quite clear that Republican racism simply aged better than Democratic racism in our modern lens.

With that said, I would have found him a dangerous and irresponsible populist who fed false promises, and I will vote HP on purely political grounds.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »

FF, too bad he didn't run in 1912.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 01:43:47 PM »

I like that the most loved populist in American history by the mainstream is one who loses constantly.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »

I like that the most loved populist in American history by the mainstream is one who loses constantly.

I mean, I would consider FDR or Truman or LBJ or Bill Clinton populists in most senses.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 02:33:28 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 03:00:58 PM »

Bryan Jennings was a segregationist like Woodrow Wilson, they removed Woodrow Wilson name off of a university. If he became Prez, he would have followed the segregationist rule of Wilson
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 03:08:57 PM »

FF compared to most American politicians of the time (and maybe all time) and especially for his economic and anti-imperialist stances.

That being said, HP for hijacking the Populist movement for Democratic partisan purposes and then discrediting it via losing in three landslides, and for being a weird Fundamentalist.

Then again, FF for pushing the Democratic Party further to the Left on economics - and I know, I'm contradicting myself.

A complex figure, but overall a FF.

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 03:10:43 PM »

I think it was crabcake or someone else who gave the best take: he started out as an FF and got progressively worse as he aged, ending up a creationist crank. Very sad.  
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 03:18:07 PM »

Then again, FF for pushing the Democratic Party further to the Left on economics - and I know, I'm contradicting myself.

This is not understood well enough at all. Bryan was a transitional figure and without which you would not have the Democratic Party of the current day. It might even be the case that the Democrats become a Dixiecrat Party and either a third party forms or the Republicans somehow maintain their unstable Northern coalition of business and just enough labor to get by.

Bryan was at once returning the Party to its roots, at the same time staging a revolution in throught as to how best to serve those roots. That revolution paved the way for the economic progressivism of the New Deal and it was that economic progressivism that opened the door and created the necessity at the same time of likewise becoming a party that supported civil rights. Its a long process and it took many steps to get their, but Bryan was necessary for that to happen.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 04:06:10 PM »

I think it was crabcake or someone else who gave the best take: he started out as an FF and got progressively worse as he aged, ending up a creationist crank. Very sad.  

He was a day-age creationist, not a Young Earther, so it's no big deal. He was wrong to fight the teaching of evolution of course, but it's not really comparable to the anti-evolution crusaders of today.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 04:47:41 PM »

He was a day-age creationist, not a Young Earther, so it's no big deal. He was wrong to fight the teaching of evolution of course, but it's not really comparable to the anti-evolution crusaders of today.

Err, fighting against the teaching of science is what is wrong. The creationist theory an individual pushes in lieu of that doesn't matter to me.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »

Tilt FF
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 05:21:20 PM »

Awful
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 05:21:52 PM »

Especially as Scopes specifically wanted to teach eugenics.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »

#Progressivism (literally at the time)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »

LINO!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 07:41:25 PM »

Complicated FF. In some ways behind his times, in other ways actually far ahead of them (it's pretty telling that McKinley ran as the darling of the establishment and Very Serious People who Knew how Economy Worked when today every reasonable economist understands that the Gold Standard was a disastrous stranglehold on the world economy, and Bryan was lambasted as a dangerous radical for advocating what today would be a very conventional keynesian monetary policy). He pushed US politics in the right direction, out of the morass of corrupt establishment politics and ultimately laid the groundwork for a turn to the left. Without him, there would probably not have been an FDR.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2020, 07:47:13 PM »

Considering Bryan was an avowed white supremacist who believed blacks were a backward race and never raised the issue of eugenics or criticised any part of it during the actual trial, instead focusing on evolution's incompatibility with biblical teaching, this hardly an effective defence of his role in Scopes.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2020, 09:02:40 PM »

People dont get it, they removed Woodrow Wilson off of the school name and the Dems were states rights Dixicrats until FDR. Also, Coolidge was a terrible person, he was the very Prez that appointed Jay Edgar Hoover to FBI.  They were all discriminatory Prez until FDR, Truman, Eisenhower,  Kennedy and Johnson, whom reversed Segregation
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies