Should schools open in full in September?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:09:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should schools open in full in September?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Should schools open in full in September?  (Read 1269 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 12:43:04 PM »
« edited: July 15, 2020, 12:46:20 PM by Santander »

It should depend on the situation in September, but school should definitely reopen before most other public spaces. The fact that some states have jeopardised full reopening by opening bars and restaurants first is scandalous. Education is more fundamental of a right than dining out.

That would be true if reopening a restaurant was remotely similar to reopening a school, and if kids were not getting educated at all. Classes will be held, just in a different mode.

I am for things opening up, even if cases inevitably increase, as long as it is balanced with healthcare capacity. But schools or any other environment full of children should be among the last places to open back up.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2020, 01:00:49 PM »

It should depend on the situation in September, but school should definitely reopen before most other public spaces. The fact that some states have jeopardised full reopening by opening bars and restaurants first is scandalous. Education is more fundamental of a right than dining out.

That would be true if reopening a restaurant was remotely similar to reopening a school, and if kids were not getting educated at all. Classes will be held, just in a different mode.

I am for things opening up, even if cases inevitably increase, as long as it is balanced with healthcare capacity. But schools or any other environment full of children should be among the last places to open back up.

Of course there is a difference in opening restaurants and it is somewhat easier. But online schooling is nowhere near as good as the real thing and in particular increases educational disparities between the wealthy and poor, as well as being hugely detrimental to kids who have an unstable and/or abusive home. Some effort has to be made to have pupils in at least some of the time. Furthermore, while the scientific jury is out as to whether children can actually spread coronavirus or not, there have been very few (if any) outbreaks linked to schools in countries where they have reopened.

Here in the UK, restaurants and pubs were not reopened until last week, despite the fact that cases are far, far lower than in most US states where they were reopened a while ago (and despite the UK’s response being one of the worst in Europe). On the other hand, though, all schools are, barring a major spike in cases between now and then, going to reopen fully in September.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »

Unpopular opinion: Yes (but with social distancing and what not)

By September the pandemic will be controlled I think

Maybe in Spain.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2020, 12:23:13 PM »

Unpopular opinion: Yes (but with social distancing and what not)

By September the pandemic will be controlled I think

Maybe in Spain.

Even in the US, if Trump and the various governors started a harsh lockdown now, the country would be ready to gradually reopen throughout September.

From the "first wave", it seems to take roughly 2 months for the pandemic to be gone enough that a country can gradually reopen with a ton of caution and social distancing.

Granted this puts a ton of unwarranted faith in Trump, but theoretically, it is possible
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2020, 12:30:04 PM »

Good luck getting a bunch of 1st graders to wear masks all day and social distance.

Wearing masks will admittedly be very hard, but I don't think social distancing would be that hard to keep outside recess? Basically, sit students as though they are going to have an exam all the time.

Of course, keeping social distance in recess for 1st graders (or really any students) will be impossible.
First graders do not sit still. That's just not how they behave — there is no way to get them to do this.

I mean, we are talking 6-7 year old kids here. They have at least some capability to follow instructions and what not.

A 1st grade class is certainly active to call it some way, but it is not complete anarchy. Or maybe I am overestimating 6 year old me and my classmates Tongue

At the absolute worst I suppose 1st and 2nd graders could be punished without recess and they stay inside a single classroom for the entire school day.

Or maybe only 3rd graders and up go to school or something like that
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2020, 01:17:42 PM »

Good luck getting a bunch of 1st graders to wear masks all day and social distance.

Wearing masks will admittedly be very hard, but I don't think social distancing would be that hard to keep outside recess? Basically, sit students as though they are going to have an exam all the time.

Of course, keeping social distance in recess for 1st graders (or really any students) will be impossible.
First graders do not sit still. That's just not how they behave — there is no way to get them to do this.

You guys are seriously underestimating first graders. They are absolutely capable of understanding the importance of mask wearing and sitting six feet apart and as a general rule, adults should have higher expectations of young children.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2020, 01:36:46 PM »

What the hell is wrong with using Zoom? We're going to end up putting all courses online before mid-century, so why delay the inevitable?
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2020, 02:42:24 PM »

Everybody, no matter their political affiliation, should be looking for the safest possible path to reopen schools this fall, and it's shameful that there's public officials out there who value bars and restaurants over our education. This should not be a partisan issue.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2020, 02:54:55 PM »

You guys are seriously underestimating first graders. They are absolutely capable of understanding the importance of mask wearing and sitting six feet apart and as a general rule, adults should have higher expectations of young children.
You should volunteer to teach them then
Unfortunately, I have neither the qualifications nor the disposable income to do so, but that does not take away from my point. Plenty of other countries are reopening their K-12 education systems with masks and distancing and it works. There is nothing about American children, except our unfortunate inability to take them seriously, that would prevent similar measures being implemented here as well.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2020, 06:09:03 PM »

Yes, but we're talking like 10 per class.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2020, 03:55:58 AM »

For Americans? Probably not barring small rural states. Here they've been open for a couple of months.

Unis I'm a no.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2020, 09:53:47 AM »

Grammar school can be socially distancing. Pre adolescent kids need peers. But, HS and above are all internet learning.

HS and College athletics are taking a huge hit, and rightly so, there hasnt been a Pandemic since the 80s when we had Chicken Pox,  Measles, Mumps and HIV. We didnt have cyber learning. It was due, eventually, it took 35 years
Ivy league schools are already eliminating the minor sports, Harvard, Yale and Princeton.

Cricket, Wrestling and Track are on the chopping block
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies