What issues help Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:13:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What issues help Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What issues help Trump  (Read 375 times)
Lognog
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2020, 12:17:12 PM »

So far race relations, healthcare, the state of the economy, and the pandemic are all losing issues for Trump. Currently they dominate the news cycle. My question is what can Trump try to get in the news cycle to try to turn things around. He still wins on the economy so he could probably talk about recovery. The only other one I can think of is China. Going back to 2016 with trade populism, but this time adding concern of influence of China over media and the continuing blame for COVID.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:19:46 PM »

Corruption/draining the swamp? I mean, he’s clearly corrupt himself but he seems to get a big boost when he talks about changing Washington.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 12:38:07 PM »

Amnesty helps Trump due to fact Covid 19 doesnt allow for more immigrants flooding the country. Even if they are Latinos, not Asians

2016 was a better year for amnesty but Hilary lost
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 12:42:24 PM »

The state of the economy hurts Trump, but he appears to be narrowly more trusted on handling it.

Aside from that, most of what would be winning issues for Republicans in a neutral issue primarily appear not to be so because of the sheer margin by which Trump is being led. The issues which "help" Trump are probably the ones on which he loses by less than his VI margin at this point.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 12:48:24 PM »

People still "feel" like the economy is strong and that the current situation is only temporary. I don't know if that feeling will last until election day, but as long as it does, it will help Trump.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 01:18:13 PM »

People still "feel" like the economy is strong and that the current situation is only temporary. I don't know if that feeling will last until election day, but as long as it does, it will help Trump.

I'll second this. Many people will vote with their wallet over their conscious if they have the illusion that the economy is amazing. According to CIVIQS, which isn't great but it's something, people in red states have a more optimistic view on the economy, and people in red states are also more likely to believe that they're family finances have improved.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 02:25:08 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs57e-viIKw
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 04:50:50 PM »

This. Inexplicably the last polls I've seen, albeit from perhaps a month ago, still had Trump nearly leading by regarding him voter's trust more regarding the economy.

The whole backlash to BLM, plus antifa jackasses vandalizing statues of people like Washington and Jefferson, at least helps him consolidate the base.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 08:05:31 PM »

In theory the economy, he just needs to stop shooting himself in the foot every five seconds
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies