Atlas ranks the presidents -- week 9 (WORST OF THE WORST)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:20:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Atlas ranks the presidents -- week 9 (WORST OF THE WORST)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Atlas ranks the presidents -- week 9 (WORST OF THE WORST)  (Read 9715 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »

Obama
Clinton
Carter
Ford
HW Bush
Nixon
Reagan
W Bush
Trump (yup, it's happened)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2020, 01:37:29 PM »

Lol I don’t know how from an objective point of view Carter can be ranked in the top half , doing so is as partisan as republicans rankling Hoover , W Bush or Trump in the top half of their lists .

Same with Reagan I don’t know how objectively he can count in the bottom half lol , doing so is again as lol if Republicans did that with FDR (which I tend to criticize them for too ).

These lists should not be done on how much you agree with what they did but how effective they were as presidents and the problem with Atlas on this(for both sides) is they tend to rank on ideological agreement with a president or whether or How they liked a presidency rather than how effective they are .
1978 New Wave skinny trousers
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »

1. Barack Obama
2. Jimmy Carter
3. Gerald Ford
4. Bill Clinton
5. George H.W. Bush
6. Richard Nixon
7. Ronald Reagan
8. George W. Bush
9. Donald Trump

What a rotten crowd.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »

Lol I don’t know how from an objective point of view Carter can be ranked in the top half , doing so is as partisan as republicans rankling Hoover , W Bush or Trump in the top half of their lists .

Same with Reagan I don’t know how objectively he can count in the bottom half lol , doing so is again as lol if Republicans did that with FDR (which I tend to criticize them for too ).

These lists should not be done on how much you agree with what they did but how effective they were as presidents and the problem with Atlas on this(for both sides) is they tend to rank on ideological agreement with a president or whether or How they liked a presidency rather than how effective they are .
We aren't presidential historians lol. We're just random political junkies on a political forum. Deal with it!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2020, 02:09:32 PM »

1. Barack Obama
2. Bill Clinton
3. Jimmy Carter
4. Gerald Ford
5. George H.W. Bush
6. Richard Nixon
7. Ronald Reagan
8. George W. Bush
9. Donald Trump
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »

I really don't understand how, after recent events, people still think W. Bush is worse than Trump
His personality is much better, but foreign policy was a disaster. I'm sorry but W Bush was absolutely a terrible president.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2020, 02:14:53 PM »

Something like:

Jimmy Carter

Richard Nixon

H.W.
Reagan
Obama
Trump

W
Ford
Clinton

Lot of disaster in the modern era.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2020, 02:20:36 PM »

I really don't understand how, after recent events, people still think W. Bush is worse than Trump
His personality is much better, but foreign policy was a disaster. I'm sorry but W Bush was absolutely a terrible president.
And so is Trump. He is far worse, at least, in my opinion
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2020, 04:20:41 PM »

1. Barack Obama
2. Bill Clinton
3. Jimmy Carter
4. George H.W. Bush
5. Gerald Ford
6. Richard Nixon
7. George W. Bush
8. Ronald Reagan
9. Donald Trump

I realise my ranking of Reagan below W is controversial, so let me explain. Dubya was, in my mind, a bumbling idiot, but at heart a decent man. Reagan on the other hand, represents the moral vacuum at the heart of conservatism. First there are the economic policies; it is immeditaely a red flag when someone raises military spending but cuts social spending, revealing a fundamental worship of authority and lack of compassion. Reaganomics caused far more long-term damage to the US than anything W ever did. Then there are the scandals (like actual corruption, not just being sucked off by an intern). Finally, perhaps most unforgivably are the corrosive social policies, in particular the politically motivated ignorance of the AIDs epidemic, having sold his soul to the Religious Right. And don’t forget the “States’ Rights” speech in the county where the Freedom Summer murders happened. Also, he concealed behind the charismatic, humourous facade a complete lack of attention to detail and true leadership.

These rankings are always hard. Carter’s term was not successful, but he restored integrity to the office, and he is a great humanitarian. Nixon was the opposite.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »

1. FDR
2. Ike
3. Truman
4. JFK
5. LBJ
6. Coolidge
7. Wilson (extreme racism)
8. Hoover
9. Harding
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2020, 05:41:35 PM »

These lists should not be done on how much you agree with what they did but how effective they were as presidents
Why? According to who?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »

1 (tie). Barack Obama
1 (tie). Bill Clinton
3. Gerald Ford
4. GHW Bush
5. Jimmy Carter
6. Ronald Reagan
7. Richard Nixon
8. GW Bush
9. Donald Trump
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2020, 07:19:20 PM »

Ah, the modern era.

1. Barack Obama (Didn't have any massive accomplishments as Presidents, but being the first Black President is a huge accomplishment in and of itself. Also didn't have any huge scandals)
2. Ronald Reagan (They say, George H.W Bush ended the Cold War. Really the credit for that goes to Reagan. It's only Iran-Contra which keeps him out of the top slot)
3. Bill Clinton (Plenty of Accomplishments as President, but the number of affairs he had were appalling. He really should have been removed from office for perjury during the Lewinsky affair)
4. George H.W Bush (Did what his son should have done when taking on Saddam Hussein)
5. George W. Bush (Bungled Iraq and Katrina response, let Osama Bin Laden escape. He's only this high because he isn't personally corrupt)
6. Gerald Ford (I'm convinced there was a quid pro quo between Ford and Nixon to secure Nixon's resignation, and Ford's Pardon of Nixon. Why Congress didn't have the backbone to impeach and remove Ford over it, I'll never understand)
7. Jimmy Carter (Quite honestly the most incompetent President we've had in recent memory, but much of it isn't his fault. Still, his response to the Iranian hostage crisis was quite unhelpful, and the malaise speech didn't really help his cause)
8. Richard Nixon (Allowing China to become part of the international community again seems like a bad idea in hindsight, and I'm convinced that he not only helped cover up Watergate but knew about it in advance and may have ordered the break-in)
9. Donald Trump (The only reason Trump is worse than Nixon on this list, is that Nixon has never openly been in thrall to a foreign government.)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2020, 07:23:50 PM »

1. Carter
2. Obama
3. Ford
4. Clinton
5. HW Bush
6. Nixon
7. Trump
8. W Bush
9. Reagan
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2020, 07:42:53 AM »

Reagan
G.H.W. Bush
Clinton
Ford (always thought he was a little underrated)
Nixon (if there was no Watergate or the press covered for him like they did certain other presidents that are thought fondly of, I think he would be considered a great president)
G.W. Bush
Carter

Trump and Obama are not ranked. It's impossible to rank presidents until you can have a semblance of historical view once they are out of office. You need the distance of time so people can be honest about presidencies instead of relying on their emotional attachment. 10 years seems like a sufficient amount of time.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2020, 07:45:41 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2020, 07:59:06 AM by StateBoiler »

Ah, the modern era.

1. Barack Obama (Didn't have any massive accomplishments as Presidents, but being the first Black President is a huge accomplishment in and of itself.)

What a burial of the man.

"Hey man, you didn't do anything. But because of the color of the skin you were born as, thumbs up to you." - like I said, you need time to be more historical and less emotional about grading presidencies.

By the way, the press previously told me that Bill Clinton was "the first black president". That was pre-2008 of course.

6. Gerald Ford (I'm convinced there was a quid pro quo between Ford and Nixon to secure Nixon's resignation, and Ford's Pardon of Nixon. Why Congress didn't have the backbone to impeach and remove Ford over it, I'll never understand)

Ted Kennedy in 2001 presented Gerald Ford with a Profile in Courage Award:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2009/08/sen_ted_kennedy_crossed_politi.html

"I'm honored to be here today with President Gerald R. Ford, the winner of this year's Profile in Courage Award.

"At a time of national turmoil, America was fortunate that it was Gerald Ford who took the helm of the storm-tossed ship of state. Unlike many of us at the time, President Ford recognized that the nation had to move forward, and could not do so if there was a continuing effort to prosecute former President Nixon. So President Ford made a courageous decision, one that historians now say cost him his office, and he pardoned Richard Nixon.

"I was one of those who spoke out against his action then. But time has a way of clarifying past events, and now we see that President Ford was right. His courage and dedication to our country made it possible for us to begin the process of healing and put the tragedy of Watergate behind us. He eminently deserves this award, and we are proud of his achievement."
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2020, 09:42:47 AM »

Obama
Clinton
Ford
Carter
HW
Nixon
Reagan
W
Trump
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »

1. Clinton
2. Obama
3. Carter
4. H.W. Bush
5. Ford
6. Nixon
7. Reagan
8. W. Bush
9. Trump

That was easy.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2020, 10:42:55 AM »

Obama
Carter
Clinton
Ford
HW
Reagan
W
Nixon
Trump
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2020, 02:55:31 PM »

Ah, the modern era.

1. Barack Obama (Didn't have any massive accomplishments as Presidents, but being the first Black President is a huge accomplishment in and of itself.)

"Hey man, you didn't do anything. But because of the color of the skin you were born as, thumbs up to you." - like I said, you need time to be more historical and less emotional about grading presidencies.

By the way, the press previously told me that Bill Clinton was "the first black president". That was pre-2008 of course.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2009/08/sen_ted_kennedy_crossed_politi.html

"I'm honored to be here today with President Gerald R. Ford, the winner of this year's Profile in Courage Award.

"At a time of national turmoil, America was fortunate that it was Gerald Ford who took the helm of the storm-tossed ship of state. Unlike many of us at the time, President Ford recognized that the nation had to move forward, and could not do so if there was a continuing effort to prosecute former President Nixon. So President Ford made a courageous decision, one that historians now say cost him his office, and he pardoned Richard Nixon.

"I was one of those who spoke out against his action then. But time has a way of clarifying past events, and now we see that President Ford was right. His courage and dedication to our country made it possible for us to begin the process of healing and put the tragedy of Watergate behind us. He eminently deserves this award, and we are proud of his achievement."

Obama was better in the sense that he provided steady leadership that Americans had been lacking since roughly the Eisenhower Administration, and he did no harm to America, period in any way shape or form, whereas every other President did some form of harm.

There was a quid pro quo between Ford and Nixon in my opinion, or Nixon wouldn't have picked Ford as his VP. He would have picked someone else.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2020, 03:42:31 PM »

Ted Kennedy was an idiot so it's not surprising he'd subscribe to the galaxy brain idea that the Nixon pardon was somehow a good thing
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2020, 10:24:46 PM »

Ted Kennedy was an idiot so it's not surprising he'd subscribe to the galaxy brain idea that the Nixon pardon was somehow a good thing
Holding the president accountable for crimes he committed in office would erode confidence in the system, you see.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2020, 04:16:08 AM »

1. Carter
2. Obama
3. Clinton
4. Ford
5. HW
6. Nixon
7. Reagan
8. W
9. Trump
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2020, 05:09:52 AM »

1. Barack Obama
2. Bill Clinton
3. George HW Bush
4. Gerald Ford
5. Jimmy Carter
6. Richard Nixon
7. Ronald Reagan
8. George W Bush
9. Donald Trump

This is gonna have some wild SDs. Gonna guess Reagan will have the largest one.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2020, 07:38:13 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2020, 07:44:03 AM by StateBoiler »

Ah, the modern era.

Obama was better in the sense that he provided steady leadership that Americans had been lacking since roughly the Eisenhower Administration, and he did no harm to America, period in any way shape or form, whereas every other President did some form of harm.

I'm literally listening to a podcast right now from a few years ago decrying his administration for their actions on civil liberties.

Like I said, I don't take anyone's opinion in this thread on Obama or Trump seriously because I don't believe it is possible you can be being principled versus emotional on your analysis. Based on a few responses, some posters are not being principled and instead emotional on presidents from the past 40 years.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies