Cannot make up my mind
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:50:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Cannot make up my mind
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Cannot make up my mind  (Read 1606 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 02:16:04 PM »

I know how you feel. I voted for McMullin in 2016, and I intend to vote Independent again, but I've got to find the right independent candidate. Or else, if I can't find a really good independent candidate, I'll probably end up voting for Biden.

If you really care about getting rid of Trump, the only acceptable course of action is voting for Biden.

Everything else is just half-baked.  It's you explicitly going out of your way to not do everything in your power to remove Trump.

I agree with this, but only to a point.  The winner is going to be either Trump or Biden, and for voters in any states that could go either way, that should be the overriding consideration in their vote.  But if their avatars represent where they actually live, MarkD is in Illinois and NotTyler in Virginia.  Both are safe Biden at this point, so if they vote for an independent who better fits their views, it will not have any effect on the outome.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 02:54:16 PM »

Vote for whomever you feel shares your values the most. If that’s pretty evenly split, then perhaps whomever you think cares more about you.

Otherwise, also consider this: if you’re sick of hearing about Trump and his antics, maybe vote for Biden. He won’t be everything you want, but at least you can rest easy knowing that our President isn’t saying irresponsible stuff on Twitter and is maintaining some self-respect.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2020, 02:56:54 PM »

I know how you feel. I voted for McMullin in 2016, and I intend to vote Independent again, but I've got to find the right independent candidate. Or else, if I can't find a really good independent candidate, I'll probably end up voting for Biden.

If you really care about getting rid of Trump, the only acceptable course of action is voting for Biden.

Everything else is just half-baked.  It's you explicitly going out of your way to not do everything in your power to remove Trump.

I agree with this, but only to a point.  The winner is going to be either Trump or Biden, and for voters in any states that could go either way, that should be the overriding consideration in their vote.  But if their avatars represent where they actually live, MarkD is in Illinois and NotTyler in Virginia.  Both are safe Biden at this point, so if they vote for an independent who better fits their views, it will not have any effect on the outome.

No they shouldn't.  They should vote for Biden.

What is the point of voting for an independent?  To create a third candidate who gets a substantial number of votes?  What does that do?  Demonstrate discontent with Biden?  Take away from his mandate?

People say this every election and it's never true.  If you live in a swing state, you should vote for Biden.  Trump needs to be overwhelmingly rejected.  Biden needs an overwhelming victory to give him a huge mandate to dismantle Trumpism.  If it's purely symbolic either way, it should be symbolic in that way.  If getting rid of Trump is your top priority, that is.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 04:14:52 PM »

I think there are people who both don't care about getting rid of Trump and don't care about stopping Democrats from taking over. I don't know if the poster who started this thread is like that, though.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 04:30:02 PM »

The number of undecideds really puzzle me. Either you are blinded by the cult and refuse to accept the reality that this president is deeply corrupt and utterly incompetent or you are aware that reality and this election becomes the easiest choice in the history of mankind.

This.

This is not a difficult choice. Trump has bungled the response to the pandemic, done whatever Russia wants (withholding aid from Ukraine and threatening them, withdrew from Open Skies treaty), "jokes" about being President for life, and repeatedly demonstrates that he is opposed to the fundamental principles upon which this country was founded.

I am not really sure what complicates this decision for people. Taxes and gov spending? Abortion? The latter will always be held over the poor religious folks' heads for as long as the GOP can, and the first is nullified by the fact that Trump is not some fiscal conservative - he's a kleptocrat who is only interested in enriching himself.

Why would you want four more years of him? Can anyone explain that? Even he hasn't been able to articulate why he should get four more years?!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 04:31:16 PM »

I am still unsure who to support for 2020. I can’t sit this election out, yet I’m still unsure of who I should vote for

Perhaps if you offered is just a bit of your present mindset, that would help us advising you as requested. Are you primarily torn between Trump and Biden, or perhaps between Biden versus a third-party / write-in vote? What are the primary issues in your mind? What are the biggest pros and cons of each candidate as you see it?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 04:33:21 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2020, 04:42:48 PM by ProudModerate2 »

I am still unsure who to support for 2020. I can’t sit this election out, yet I’m still unsure of who I should vote for

Help us to better understand your dilemma ...
Tell us (your personal opinion on) what positive aspects trump has brought to our nation over the last 4 years.

Edit to add:  LOL. Looks like badger beat me to the Save button (see his post immediately above mine). We are basically asking the same question. Smiley
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2020, 04:49:33 PM »

I’ll make it easy for you. You should vote for Joe Biden. You don’t want to tell your grandparents that you didn’t do your part to oust the most corrupt, incompetent and despicable human being to ever inhabit the White House. Trust me on this one, history is gonna be BRUTAL to Trump and his enablers. It’s gonna be really really ugly.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »

I’ll make it easy for you. You should vote for Joe Biden. You don’t want to tell your grandparents that you didn’t do your part to oust the most corrupt, incompetent and despicable human being to ever inhabit the White House. Trust me on this one, history is gonna be BRUTAL to Trump and his enablers. It’s gonna be really really ugly.

*grandkids, presumably.

OP hasn't been responding in this thread, but I would like to see him list out the pros and cons of each candidate.  And do an honest job, if one candidate has a lot more pros or cons then list them all.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2020, 06:55:42 PM »

I can't stand in the voting booth with you and tell you who to vote for, but I feel like it would be irresponsible of me to not try and get you to vote for Biden.

All you have to do is consider whether Trump, as an incumbent President, lived up to his slogan of "Make America Great Again." I would argue that he clearly and objectively has not. Everybody in the country has been affected in at least some way by his overseeing America's reputation in the world plummeting (contrary to what he promised), the civil unrest he fanned the flames of, deaths in the six figures from a viral outbreak that he hasn't taken seriously, record unemployment after failing to not squander a stable economy, and overall putting his interests ahead of the country's which he swore an Oath of Office to which also means he broke his promise to "drain the swamp.". He has proven more than ever that he was always unfit for this office, and those who took a chance on electing him with the hope that he would change things for the better as an outsider ought to be mortified and make it imperative to rectify that.

Competence, experience, and leadership ability should not be taken for granted again. Biden exemplifies those three qualities at a minimum, and he is the type of leader we need right now to do all he can to help us move past these tumultuous four years.
G_Master
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2020, 07:45:49 PM by G_Master »

Even if I liked Trump and his polices, I would still not vote for him because I know he is a national security risk. I don’t like Trump at all so I wouldn’t vote for him regardless. Mind you,  I am putting this all in the gentlest way possible.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2020, 08:16:09 PM »

Pretty much every other developed country is on its way to containing the virus, but cases are still rising here, in no small part due to this president's incompetence, ignorance, and utter lack of caring. If that doesn't convince you, I'm not sure what will.
I’m not stuck between trump and Biden
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2020, 08:18:31 PM »

Why is it that you feel you can't sit this election out?  If you can answer that question, I think it'll be fairly obvious which candidate to support.
I cannot sit out this election because I have seen the lack of leadership, The racism, Hate, and the incompetence of this administration
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2020, 08:22:01 PM »

Why is it that you feel you can't sit this election out?  If you can answer that question, I think it'll be fairly obvious which candidate to support.
I cannot sit out this election because I have seen the lack of leadership, The racism, Hate, and the incompetence of this administration

If you believe that Biden would be any better, vote for him. You can't always get exactly what you want, but even just a 20% improvement is still an improvement nonetheless. If you really hate both Biden and Trump, vote 3rd party to make a statement. You live in VA, which won't tip the election under pretty much any circumstance. Every 3rd party vote will show that people are tired of the 2 party system and will force the 2 major parties to adjust accordingly if they want to continue winning elections.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2020, 08:23:24 PM »

Pretty much every other developed country is on its way to containing the virus, but cases are still rising here, in no small part due to this president's incompetence, ignorance, and utter lack of caring. If that doesn't convince you, I'm not sure what will.

Whether we like it or not, each election is a binary choice, as there are 2 candidates with a chance of winning.  You're certainly free to vote 3rd party if you want, but, in my opinion, that's more or less abstaining (which you may be okay with).
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2020, 08:27:53 PM »

Who are your top choices?
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2020, 08:31:09 PM »

Who are your top choices?

Biden, Jorgensen, Hawkins
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2020, 08:39:43 PM »

You guys do notice that some people don’t really care about “America’s standing in the world”? That’s not really as much of a necessary requirement for most as you think it is. It’s sort of an absurd abstract issue that only middle-brained leftists are going to care about.

As others have said, one of Trump's biggest campaign schticks in 2016 was "America has lost respect around the world under Obama". In fact it wasn't just Trump, if you go back to any 2016 GOP primary debate or interview, at some point the supposedly diminishing respect for America under Obama comes up.

If anything, "our country is losing respect" is a natural right-wing talking point. Pretty much every right-wing party in the world campaigns on* this message, and the further right you go the more blatant it tends to get. Caring about respect for one's country is in no way, shape or form, a "leftist" concern, if anything it's a very naturally conservative one.

But you're right in a way, in the Trump era when America has clearly lost respect around the world, right-wingers seem not to care about it anymore. It's amazing how cult-like the GOP has become, completely devoid of any ideological consistency. OP, if you're reading this, you should also consider that if Trump is re-elected, it only further validates this kind of politics.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2020, 11:41:23 AM »

Why is it that you feel you can't sit this election out?  If you can answer that question, I think it'll be fairly obvious which candidate to support.

Other than Trump, Biden is the only candidate with a possibility of winning.  If you are that sick of the lack of leadership, the racism, the hate and the incompetence of this administration, the best way to get rid of them is to vote Biden.

Biden is not a perfect candidate because perfect candidate does not exist.  But you know what?  Biden is a good man, has been a public servent of this country for 40+ years and has a very promising platform.  Because he has been in office for so long, he has a long record that includes highs and lows (as everyone's record does).  I know some people like voting for third-party candidates as protest votes, but the reality is that we know very little about third-party candidates compared to the major party candidates.  What does that mean?  If we were to hold them to the same standard that we hold our major party candidates to, they would likely not hold up well to the same scrutiny.

Despite his imperfections, I have been a Biden fan for a while.  I think he's a great man and sincerely loves this country and ALL of its citizens.  His background makes him the perfect fit for this election.  I think it's amazing that given his long history of public service, he is still relatively well-liked in this country.  I think that says something.  His Republican colleagues in the senate (Graham, Collins, etc.) still speak highly of him even though they have gone off the deep end.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2020, 12:23:16 PM »

Serving the best interests of Germany or IsraelRussia instead of your own sort of amounts to an outside world that is very happy with your current leadership while also laughing at your exploitation.

Agreed.
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2020, 12:28:09 PM »

Why is it that you feel you can't sit this election out?  If you can answer that question, I think it'll be fairly obvious which candidate to support.

Other than Trump, Biden is the only candidate with a possibility of winning.  If you are that sick of the lack of leadership, the racism, the hate and the incompetence of this administration, the best way to get rid of them is to vote Biden.

Biden is not a perfect candidate because perfect candidate does not exist.  But you know what?  Biden is a good man, has been a public servent of this country for 40+ years and has a very promising platform.  Because he has been in office for so long, he has a long record that includes highs and lows (as everyone's record does).  I know some people like voting for third-party candidates as protest votes, but the reality is that we know very little about third-party candidates compared to the major party candidates.  What does that mean?  If we were to hold them to the same standard that we hold our major party candidates to, they would likely not hold up well to the same scrutiny.

Despite his imperfections, I have been a Biden fan for a while.  I think he's a great man and sincerely loves this country and ALL of its citizens.  His background makes him the perfect fit for this election.  I think it's amazing that given his long history of public service, he is still relatively well-liked in this country.  I think that says something.  His Republican colleagues in the senate (Graham, Collins, etc.) still speak highly of him even though they have gone off the deep end.

Very nice! Thank you, this helps with my decision! You have a point there. But what about the Biden allegations?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2020, 12:45:50 PM »

Very nice! Thank you, this helps with my decision! You have a point there. But what about the Biden allegations?

What allegation are you referring to?

If it's Tara Reade, that has been pretty thoroughly debunked.  I'm unwilling to say that it 100% didn't happen, but I think it is highly unlikely that it did.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2020, 12:49:09 PM »

Good to see you've ruled John Tyler out though.

I wonder if he’d consider his grandchildren if they jump in the race, though.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2020, 01:18:57 PM by CellarDoor »

Biden is not a perfect candidate because perfect candidate does not exist.  But you know what?  Biden is a good man, has been a public servent of this country for 40+ years and has a very promising platform.  Because he has been in office for so long, he has a long record that includes highs and lows (as everyone's record does).  I know some people like voting for third-party candidates as protest votes, but the reality is that we know very little about third-party candidates compared to the major party candidates.  What does that mean?  If we were to hold them to the same standard that we hold our major party candidates to, they would likely not hold up well to the same scrutiny.

What allegations are you referring to?  The only allegations that have gotten much in the way of headlines were the Tara Reade allegations, but those have been debunked, including by lawyers who specialize in defending victims of sexual assault.  They are simply not believable at this point.

Biden has been in public office for over 40 years, and he has been vetted more thoroughly than almost every candidate for any office in this country.  I'd be wary of any allegations that have surfaced since he became a candidate for President.  He was vetted by Obama's team and they found nothing.  That vetting process is the most thorough process a candidate can go through.

Biden rode the train for 4 hours every day so he could see his kids.  I think that says a lot more about him than any allegations that surface after 40+ years of public service during a Presidential campaign.  He is not perfect, but he is a good man.  In my view, he is exactly the type of person we want as our President.  In the times that we live in, where our country has been torn apart by a health crisis, a jobs crisis, and civil unrest due to racism, I can't think of a better person to lead us through those crises. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2020, 01:35:57 PM »

It's your choice to make, no one else can make it for you.

My opinion is that I'd rather have Joe Biden as president than either Howie Hawkins or Jo Jorgensen and I'd vote for Biden over either in a one on one race in a heartbeat. "Spoiler" isn't a consideration for me here: Joe Biden is basically what I'm looking for and want in a President. That's just me talking, though.

I don't know about you or what motivates you. What are you looking for in a President? What do you want to have happen in the next four years? What do you want to NOT happen in the next four years?

You've given us very little to go on for what you're about or what motivates you. I'm struggling to imagine why you'd consider both Jorgensen (a pretty radical Libertarian) and Hawkins (a socialist) at the same time when their ideologies are wildly different.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies