The once-mocked ‘Never Trump’ movement becomes a sudden campaign force (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:04:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The once-mocked ‘Never Trump’ movement becomes a sudden campaign force (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The once-mocked ‘Never Trump’ movement becomes a sudden campaign force  (Read 990 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« on: July 11, 2020, 11:32:18 PM »

A lot of Republicans have figured out that it's better for them if Biden wins.

Yeah, the ones who don't want to watch the world burn.

Or who don't want to watch their world burn.

Whether they honestly believe in the rhetoric of the pre-Trump GOP, or just want to keep some hold on power, Mr. Trump is the greatest threat the Republican Party has ever faced. Going forward from him, there seem to be only two major paths: a cult of personality with a strongly fascist lean and a light dusting of religious zealotry (that will lead the nation to disaster) or decades in the wilderness as the old GOP supporters die off and a generation alienated from the GOP dominates the country.

I suspect the Never-Trumpers at this point are hoping to thread a needle. They need to rid the United States (and the GOP) of Mr. Trump's nuclear meltdown brand, and then paint him as an aberration that could happen to any party when the low-information proles get too much power and shove aside the elites who know better. (Not that they'd phrase it in precisely that fashion, but I'm guessing that would be the message behind the rhetoric.) But even if they fail utterly, and whatever their motives, they are doing something admirable. They are the Republican Party's Operation Valkyrie - an enduring memorial that will let future Republicans look back and say "at least some of us were on the right side".
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 08:26:18 AM »

good luck I guess...I just wish that they didn't feel they had to vote for the lesser evil.

We all have to vote for the lesser evil.
no we don't, most people's presidential vote doesn't even matter.  Mine does a little as (I'm guessing) the Omaha electoral college vote is up for grabs even if NE as a whole is not.  If it's close as we get near to election day and if Biden picks someone....palatable as a VP, I may vote for him.  But as of now I'm proudly voting for someone who is not a gropey grandpa*.

*there are many reasons to not vote for these two beyond their age and questionable histories...I'm also not suggesting they are equal in..well, anything
If you don�t do this, you are literally reelecting Trump.
no I'm not, and I won't feel guilty about it if he somehow wins again because it will be the same people's fault it was last time....the Democratic primary voters for giving us a nominee somehow less electable than <string of profanities deleted>ing Trump.

So your position is that if we're going to have a sexual predator in the WH anyway, you would rather it be the corrupt, incompetent, authoritian, mentally ill one?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies