Black NFL Player apologizes for anti-semetic posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:23:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Black NFL Player apologizes for anti-semetic posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Black NFL Player apologizes for anti-semetic posts  (Read 1274 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 05:48:55 PM »
« edited: July 09, 2020, 05:53:00 PM by Uncle Ruckus, No Relation. »

When the United States proclaimed independence, none of the founding fathers, along with pretty much the entire white population, would conceivably entertain the idea of Black Americans (still mostly enslaved across the former colonies) being their fellow citizens. Given this, such statement suddenly makes a lot of sense.

Sure, it's easy to scream "omg, he hates America!!1", but maybe from his point of view there's little to celebrate about the America of the people who would think of him as unworthy of being their equal? And if you were a Black man in the 1770s, what was the difference between the revolutionaries and the colonists to you? That war wasn't their "fight for freedom".

If he were to say "the United States should never have been created" or "the United States should not exists because of history", that would be going overboard, but such sentiments as expressed are only natural after centuries of oppression, either legalized or "just" tolerated, by the state.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 06:37:48 PM »

The star athlete Philly deserves. Broken heart
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2020, 07:03:45 PM »

Desean Jackson is one of my favorite players in the NFL, this punt return was one of my favorite moments. He was really an electric player in his prime. A connection to politics, the High School All American bowl which Jackson participated in and won the MVP award, the MVP award is named after 1958 Heisman Trophy and Maxwell winner Pete Dawkins who was later the Republican nominee for United States Senate in New Jersey in 1988.

The comments by Jackson were disgusting, and while I do not like him as a person I still like him as a ballplayer, similar to my feelings with Ndamukong Suh
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2020, 07:31:34 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 08:26:37 AM by Fuzzy Bear »

When the United States proclaimed independence, none of the founding fathers, along with pretty much the entire white population, would conceivably entertain the idea of Black Americans (still mostly enslaved across the former colonies) being their fellow citizens. Given this, such statement suddenly makes a lot of sense.

Sure, it's easy to scream "omg, he hates America!!1", but maybe from his point of view there's little to celebrate about the America of the people who would think of him as unworthy of being their equal? And if you were a Black man in the 1770s, what was the difference between the revolutionaries and the colonists to you? That war wasn't their "fight for freedom".

If he were to say "the United States should never have been created" or "the United States should not exists because of history", that would be going overboard, but such sentiments as expressed are only natural after centuries of oppression, either legalized or "just" tolerated, by the state.

So what would Kaepernick's response (or yours) would be if I took the "there's nothing in it for me" should Juneteenth become an actual holiday?  

Now, to be sure, I don't believe that.  Juneteenth is a day that represents the completion of a needed work; the liberation of the slaves to freedom.  There IS something in that for everybody.  And Juneteenth wasn't a perfect holiday; it didn't preclude Jim Crow, but it DID end slavery.  Was Independence Day worthless to blacks because there was still slavery in many states?  How could that be, when July 4th laid the groundwork for self-government not only in America, but around the World (and that includes many nations in Sub-Saharan Africa)?  Indeed, was the 4th of July not the starting point for self-determination of a variety of peoples the World over?

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2020, 07:34:26 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2020, 09:57:26 PM by lfromnj »

To say that millions of Americans(including many minorities) are actively celebrating white supremacy  is just a flat out disgusting thing to say, I didn't really have an opinion on Kaepernick before and I always found the kneeling argument silly by the right as I was foolish enough to see that he had some grievances and he had the power to speak out about it. However after seeing that he thinks I celebrate White supremacy I can not say anything but that he is a man who hates me and the majority of Americans.

This is literally the same thing as Washington statues, yes there are issues with him but that doesn't mean people honor him for his racist views unlike how the South honored dozens of Confederate generals. To say the 4th doesn't truly recognize freedom and live up to its original ideals, for all is one thing, to say its an active celebration of white supremacy is a whole another statement.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 08:02:23 PM »

So is he going to get a pass?  Is "My Bad!" enough for this guy?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 08:10:17 PM »

In many ways the british was more progressive then the Americans on slavery.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 08:19:35 PM »

But not on self-government.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 09:16:11 PM »

Is football on the decline yet? You'd think after all the CTE stuff that no sensible parent would let their son partake.

While the post is abhorrent, many football players (and boxers) are just not right in the head. I hope football starts going the way of baseball soon.
I live in a reason where everyone watches football. It won't as football is where kids and their friends meet, where parents can relax without their kids annoying them, and etc.

And Friday Night Lights isn't an exaggeration.  High school football is a religion in Texas. 
As it should be.

My neighbor the grouch was yelling at the kids at a birthday party for damaging his plants. I explained that my neighbor hates everybody (and that it wasn't because some of the kids were black).

Being literal young children, they pointed out that the furthest the ball had come was 15 feet from his plants. One in a most plaintive voice explained it was the first time they had been able to play football in four months.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2020, 01:02:40 AM »

The OP would certainly know a thing or two about quoting Adolf Hitler.

(Not trying to excuse this or do whataboutism; I'm honestly just shocked it's Woodbury who posted this.)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2020, 05:52:06 AM »

So is he going to get a pass?  Is "My Bad!" enough for this guy?

I don't like cancel culture in any circumstance, but I agree that this is so much worse than what someone like Drew Brees said.

I really miss being able to separate sports and politics.  I love sports and care about politics, but the two don't need to be mixed.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2020, 08:07:34 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 08:10:35 AM by Dr. RI, Trustbuster »

Don't forget that he doubled and tripled down before he gave a halfhearted apology.

One of the real problems here is just how many people in the black community revere Farrakhan and embrace his antisemitism, including a large number of notable NBA and NFL players. Polling shows up to 50% of black people have positive view of Farrakhan (although maybe a quarter to a third of those really know his views beyond the surface level). The relationship between the black and Jewish communities is extremely poor; you need look no further than the recent spate of black anti-Jewish murders and hate crimes in NYC. You'd think with the high prevalence of "anti-fascist" crackdowns in this day and age that people who spew literal Nazi rhetoric about Jewish people (and even make up their own rhetoric on behalf of the Nazis) would be a top target, but apparently kowtowing to BLM's extortionist black lost cause narrative is more important. Prejudice is only bad if it's against some, you see.

It's almost as if Terry Crews is right: you can't simply divide racial groups between the saints and the sinners. You'd think that would be blindingly obvious, but here we stand.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2020, 08:49:23 AM »

To say that millions of Americans(including many minorities) are actively celebrating white supremacy  is just a flat out disgusting thing to say, I didn't really have an opinion on Kaepernick before and I always found the kneeling argument silly by the right as I was foolish enough to see that he had some grievances and he had the power to speak out about it. However after seeing that he thinks I celebrate White supremacy I can not say anything but that he is a man who hates me and the majority of Americans.

This is literally the same thing as Washington statues, yes there are issues with him but that doesn't mean people honor him for his racist views unlike how the South honored dozens of Confederate generals. To say the 4th doesn't truly recognize freedom and live up to its original ideals, for all is one thing, to say its an active celebration of white supremacy is a whole another statement.

It is a lie, repeated over and over again, that has gained the undeserved veneer of a fact.  It is not a neutral falsehood or an old saying that simply isn't the case; it is the kind of malicious lies that is designed to poison the relationship ordinary citizens ought to have with their own Country.

It is not a neutral lie.  It is the lie of a vindictive parent that tells their children lies about the other biological parent.  Parents who feed stories to their kids how the other parent beat them, cheated on them shamelessly, spent all their money, and even worse.  When these things are true, there is a right way and a wrong way to tell a child.  When these things are false, the intrapersonal destruction to a child and the damage of that child's relationship to their family may never be repaired.

If people actually consider this an axiomatic truth, then this nation is in deep trouble.  It will have saddled itself with a permanent Fifth Column of citizens that hate their own nation and who will not be reconciled to it.  We will not have a nation of people willing to defend it; indeed, we may have a nation with a large contingent that would welcome conquerors as liberators. 

Given that most readers here live somewhere in America, I would ask them:  Is that good?  Is that good for YOU and your long-term life prospects, to live in a nation where significant numbers of your fellows actively hate it and wish it ill?  That's what Kaepernick and his type are working on.

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2020, 08:57:34 AM »

But not on self-government.
The majority in Parliament wasn't, there was factions of Whigs and the Radicals which supported representation.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2020, 08:01:07 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uB_hjiFFlk&t=709s

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/us/desean-jackson-penalized-by-eagles/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/us/desean-jackson-eagles-antisemitic-post-trnd/index.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/10/charles-barkley-sports-turning-social-justice-issues-into-a-circus.html

Charles Barkley was one of the most flamboyant and media sensationalistic, in a bad way, NBA players of the last 50 years. He also use the platform of his same to repeatedly flirt with running for governor of Alabama.

Physician, heal thyself.
[/quote]

Barkley brought energy to the game, but yes, he is outspoken and that is what I like about him. His honesty.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2020, 09:01:46 PM »

Is football on the decline yet? You'd think after all the CTE stuff that no sensible parent would let their son partake.

While the post is abhorrent, many football players (and boxers) are just not right in the head. I hope football starts going the way of baseball soon.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies