Trump raised possibility of selling Puerto Rico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:14:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump raised possibility of selling Puerto Rico
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump raised possibility of selling Puerto Rico  (Read 1345 times)
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »

If only he was better at pulling out in his personal life.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 05:30:35 PM »

I'm a little bit curious about who else would want Puerto Rico.

Other than maybe a South American Country or two, who does buying Puerto Rico benefit?

Spain for maritime boundaries, which the USA probably wouldn't agree to anyways.

While I suppose Spain would be the likeliest country to take PR if it was sold in 19th century colonial fashion, what benefit exactly would there be? Spain has 0 interests on the Caribbean and has not had any for over a century.

In terms of maritime disputes, the big disputes for Spain are against Morocco (there was a big incident recently in fact regarding Morocco claiming Spanish territorial waters) and against Britain (because of Gibraltar)

If any European country was to buy PR for territorial waters, the only real contenders would be Britain or France.

I can't see either wanting to add another economically distressed Caribbean outpost to the ones they have.  The simple fact is that these day tropical island paradises are economically at a huge disadvantage in the global economy.  The only reasons a country would seriously consider acquiring a distant island outpost would be for purposes of power projection and pride. The only European country that might consider acquiring Puerto Rico would be Russia, and even that would be doubtful if they had to assume Puerto Rico's debts.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2020, 06:11:51 PM »

If only he was better at pulling out in his personal life.

Underrated post.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2020, 07:31:34 PM »

I'm a little bit curious about who else would want Puerto Rico.

Other than maybe a South American Country or two, who does buying Puerto Rico benefit?

Spain should buy it back. Make Spain Great Again!
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2020, 07:36:36 PM »

Anti-Imperialist Trump wants to give away our colonial assets and dismantle the empire!

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2020, 07:45:50 PM »

I don't trust the NYT to be honest ...

The Orange Buffoon said on national/international TV that he thought it could possibly be a good idea for the 'injection' of disinfectant to beat coronavirus and 'clean' the lungs.
If you had not heard that yourself, you would also be saying "I dont believe it ... I dont trust the media."
So if Clown Shoe would say something as absurd as that, why would you not believe ("trust") this story?
GeorgeBFree
Npard23
Rookie
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2020, 11:52:58 PM »

Canada needs a warm weather tropical destination (its version of Hawaii), so I think they would be best buyer if they had enough cash to pay.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2020, 11:58:28 PM »

Canada needs a warm weather tropical destination (its version of Hawaii), so I think they would be best buyer if they had enough cash to pay.

A dream come true.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2020, 11:16:51 AM »

Not hard to believe. He could "get rid" of (brown) people he doesn't see as US citizens anyway and make money out of it. The perfect combination when you embody racism and greed at once.

Tbh, there should be one final referendum whether PR wants independence or statehood. Either result should be accepted by DC. Let them go if they want to, or approve statehood through congress.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2020, 12:01:16 PM »

Not hard to believe. He could "get rid" of (brown) people he doesn't see as US citizens anyway and make money out of it. The perfect combination when you embody racism and greed at once.

Tbh, there should be one final referendum whether PR wants independence or statehood. Either result should be accepted by DC. Let them go if they want to, or approve statehood through congress.

Just voting on independence vs statehood is essencially a rigged poll for statehood advocates

Only like 5% or Puerto Ricans want independence. The remaining 95% is split between the status quo and statehood..

So yeah, statehood vs independence would be boycotted, and even if not it would not be representative of what Puerto Ricans want
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2020, 07:26:24 PM »

Just voting on independence vs statehood is essencially a rigged poll for statehood advocates

Only like 5% or Puerto Ricans want independence. The remaining 95% is split between the status quo and statehood..

So yeah, statehood vs independence would be boycotted, and even if not it would not be representative of what Puerto Ricans want
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies