Trump: Nobody knew GOP was party of Lincoln until I came along
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:13:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: Nobody knew GOP was party of Lincoln until I came along
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump: Nobody knew GOP was party of Lincoln until I came along  (Read 1267 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »

If Lincoln had somehow beaten the odds and was still alive at age 211, I think it's pretty obvious that he'd be a liberal Democrat, given his views on the role of the federal government relative to the states, as well as race relations (he would have evolved with everyone else and stayed on the left side of that issue).

If he were somehow resuscitated today without having 150 years to keep up with the times, he'd have no frame of reference for anything, but it's still safe to say he'd think Trump is an idiot.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »

Yes, that RINO withthe Illinois avatar constantly reminds this forum taht REPUBLICANS freed the slaves and that's why he identifies as a Republican, so Mr. Trump is preaching to the choir on this one
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 08:49:37 PM »

You'd be shocked as to how many people think Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt were Democrats.

Only 58% of Americans know that Lincoln was a Republican.  Of course, I doubt that many of these folks know that Andrew Jackson was a Democrat.  It's pretty sad if, in fact, Donald Trump (who is NOT Mr. Civics) has actually done something to increase that awareness.

But he hasn't, has He? At all.

The uber-racialized discussion of politics over recent years has brought about more of a discussion of how Lincoln and the Republicans freed the slaves, how Robert "KKK" Byrd was Democratic Senate Majority Leader, etc.  It's not so much Trump (who isn't that much of a civics guy) as the tenor of the times.

The truth of American history was that the GOP WAS the "Civil Rights Party" until 1964.  Even then, most Republicans (and a higher percentage of Republicans than Democrats) supported Civil Rights Legislation.  It is unfair, of course, to portray the Democrats as the party of Segregation; indeed, the Democratic Party gave up the most to become the more ardently pro-Civil Rights party in the 1960s.  It cost them their hegemony in Presidential elections, to the point where they elected one (1) President in the next six (6) Presidential elections.  But the truth is also that the GOP, and those that made up the GOP in Congress prior to the Goldwater nomination of 1964, were supporters of Civil Rights legislation, and were some of the best friends of the Civil Rights bills that there were.

Not really after the New Deal. African-Americans heavily voted democratic starting in 1936. It wasn't the 95-ish% we are used to now, but they definitely became part of the democratic New Deal coalition from that point forward.

Eisenhower was the only Republican Administration during this period, and he did do well by sending troops in the Little Rock to enforce the Brown versus Board of Education decision, even though to his shame he disagreed with the ruling privately. Other than that though, how much did the GOP really do for civil rights between 52 and 60?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 09:40:59 PM »

Yes, that RINO withthe Illinois avatar constantly reminds this forum taht REPUBLICANS freed the slaves and that's why he identifies as a Republican, so Mr. Trump is preaching to the choir on this one

I think you’re smarter than to phrase this topic like that, lol ... then again, your contributions to the forum pertain more to the “D+7” arena of discourse, and I suppose I have not seen you discuss historical party politics with anywhere near the intellectual ability or energy as several others here, so maybe you honestly do believe that I broadcast said message to the forum on this topic, haha.  Don’t really care either way. Smiley

(Now that I think about it, I actually feel kind of bad that you likely thought that post was pretty funny...)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 10:21:52 PM »

Every time Trump says “nobody” knew something, it means HE didn’t know it. So in this instance, we can translate to “I didn’t know the GOP was the party of Lincoln until I became a Republican.”

Likewise any time he says “everybody” or “many people” are saying something, it just means he thinks it.

You see, as a pathological narcissist with absolutely no sense of empathy, Trump is literally and fundamentally incapable of fathoming that other people out there exist who possess knowledge he doesn’t or think differently from him.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 10:24:53 PM »

You'd be shocked as to how many people think Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt were Democrats.

Only 58% of Americans know that Lincoln was a Republican.  Of course, I doubt that many of these folks know that Andrew Jackson was a Democrat.  It's pretty sad if, in fact, Donald Trump (who is NOT Mr. Civics) has actually done something to increase that awareness.

So... you just posted proof that a significant majority of Americans knew Lincoln was a Republican, and somehow you think this helps Trump’s case that “nobody” knew it?

Why do you continue to suck off this criminally insane, bleach injecting sociopath and wannabe tinpot dictator?

Seriously? Have you no shame whatsoever? Are there no lows to which you won’t sink to defend him, even over the dumbest of s—t?

Do you also happen to be a Republican senator? Because that would explain a lot.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 11:34:39 PM »

The only reason people may not realize Lincoln was a Republican is that it’s so obvious he’d be a Democrat today, it hurts. Roll Eyes

IIRC Lincoln's congressional district is currently held by a Republican, could be wrong about that though.

If Lincoln survived, where would he stand on Gold vs. Silver?  Prohibition?  Women's Suffrage?  WWI?  The New Deal?  The Cold War?  The Great Society?  Gun control?  Abortion?  Trickle Down economics?  The environment?  NAFTA?  The War on Terror?  The Death Penalty (well, we know he supported it while president)?  Citizen's United?  Foreign Aid?

Just because he was against slavery doesn't mean he'd be on the "liberal" side of those issues.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2020, 06:01:08 AM »

The only reason people may not realize Lincoln was a Republican is that it’s so obvious he’d be a Democrat today, it hurts. Roll Eyes

IIRC Lincoln's congressional district is currently held by a Republican, could be wrong about that though.

Lincoln’s congressional district probably has a number of cars and trucks with confederate flag bumper stickers tbh.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2020, 08:41:37 AM »

What an absolute narcissistic moron.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2020, 09:33:24 AM »

Yeah, everything, he credits to himself and everything bad he credits to his predecessors. Obviously, Eisenhower whom got rid of Jim Crow with Brown was a Lincoln Prez. Just like with the economy,  he doesnt credit Obama due to the Clinton email saga. I lost my economy
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »

I’d buy it if he was using “Lincoln” to refer to George Lincoln Rockwell. Otherwise, no.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2020, 06:48:51 AM »

I think you’re smarter than to phrase this topic like that

Wrong on that point chief.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »

Lincoln’s congressional district probably has a number of cars and trucks with confederate flag bumper stickers tbh.

So does West Virginia, the unionist parts of KY, TN, NC and VA.

It is also worth noting though that Lincoln's district would have been on the periphery with Southern Illinois, which was pro-South and was rather Democratic well into the 20th century. So pro-Confederate viewpoints would not have been that unusual even back then.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »

pretty sure that was Dinesh D'Souza, not Trump.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies