Research paper on systemic bias retratced despite going through journal papers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:26:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Research paper on systemic bias retratced despite going through journal papers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Research paper on systemic bias retratced despite going through journal papers  (Read 210 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2020, 08:14:19 PM »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-cited-their-study-so-they-disavowed-it-11594250254

Here is probably the most important quote
In September 2019, I cited the article’s finding in congressional testimony. I also referred to it in a City Journal article, in which I noted that two Princeton political scientists, Dean Knox and Jonathan Mummolo, had challenged the study design. Messrs. Cesario and Johnson stood by their findings. Even under the study design proposed by Messrs. Knox and Mummolo, they wrote, there is again “no significant evidence of anti-black disparity in the likelihood of being fatally shot by the police.”

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/32/15877

So basically it went through multiple layers of research and everything and was cited in an op-ed but then the scientists involved retracted the paper.

https://retractionwatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/PNAS_STATEMENT.pdf

Here is the retracted statement. Its weird that they thought they quietly made a proper article a few months ago but then they suddenly realize it isn't good?
Smeulders
Rookie
Belgium

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 02:43:42 AM »

You've managed to find their retraction statement. It quite clearly explains why their thinking changed. They believe they did a solid technical analysis. Later on they realized their results were easily misinterpreted. As they didn't want to muddy the waters of public debate they retracted the paper. People are allowed to change their opinions as more information comes in you know. In fact, that is what makes for a good scientist.

Of course, I strongly suspect you know all of the above, but are ignoring it to so you can imply something nefarious is happening.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 03:06:16 AM »

we made was drawing inferences about the broader population of civilians who interact with police rather than restricting our conclusions to the population of civilians who were fatally shot by the police. We are thankful to Knox and Mummolo (2020) for highlighting this error

Sounds pretty clear.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 02:01:10 AM »

Its official, people! Racism in policing doesn't exist! Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length