Trump commutes Roger Stone sentence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:50:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump commutes Roger Stone sentence
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Trump commutes Roger Stone sentence  (Read 2414 times)
woodley park

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2020, 09:14:29 PM »

The Fuzz is back kickin' heads.

Welcome back.

Anything that makes Adam Schiff's blood boil is OK with me. Spoilt piece of garbage was on the news carrying on like a little kid who did not get his lollies. Just no character to do much but criticise others.

I’m sure you probably wrote that to either troll people here or just have a cathartic moment, a scream into the void to make yourself feel better. It has been a terrible few months for the credibility of the “true believing” Atlas blue team, after all. But I hope you realize that your “anything to rile up Schiff” mindset is incredibly short sighted. What if, one day, there is a Democrat with all of Trump’s corruption and authoritarian instincts but none of his narcissistic, unfocused bumbling, one that is intent on undermining our system to accumulate power and rule as a despot? What if that Democrat succeeds because people like you cheered as Trump corroded our institutions and dispensed with our norms and values? Was it worth it in the long run for the short term goal of trolling the left? Do you even care about that at all?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2020, 01:06:32 AM »

It's hard to be furious about everything that deserves it when there are so many things happening at the same time that deserve fury. I'm usually an optimist, but I've pretty much given up on this country.

That said, I'm 100% in agreement with those who are calling for another impeachment over this. Sure the Senate won't do their job, but once again someone has to at least attempt to enforce the laws or we might as well admit that we've got a dictator and Congress is just for show.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2020, 06:15:19 AM »

Corruption just like impeachment is not priority for voters, but it does fit with Trump's overall unfitness for office, on corruption since Trump was impeached already.

But, white collar criminals are being let out of prison, while blue collar minority men Latinos and AA and WC whites stay in the Covid 19 prison
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2020, 07:07:18 AM »

It's hard to be furious about everything that deserves it when there are so many things happening at the same time that deserve fury. I'm usually an optimist, but I've pretty much given up on this country.

That said, I'm 100% in agreement with those who are calling for another impeachment over this. Sure the Senate won't do their job, but once again someone has to at least attempt to enforce the laws or we might as well admit that we've got a dictator and Congress is just for show.

Three Times William Barr Said Trading Pardons for False Testimony Was Obstruction of Justice  (March, 2019)

Patrick Leahy, specifically invoking Barr’s sanction of the Caspar Weinberger pardon that squelched the Iran-Contra investigation, asked Barr about pardons.

Leahy: Do you believe a president could lawfully issue a pardon in exchange for the recipient’s promise to not incriminate him?

Barr: No, that would be a crime.

Shortly after that exchange, Lindsey Graham tried to clarify the issue, asking the pardon question at a more basic level, coaching another not to testify, as Trump has done on Twitter repeatedly.
    Lindsey: So if there was some reason to believe that the President tried to coach somebody not to testify or testify falsely, that could be obstruction of justice?

Barr: Yes, under that, under an obstruction statute, yes.

Lindsey: So if there’s some evidence that the President tried to conceal evidence? That would be obstruction of justice, potentially?

Barr: [nods]

Mr. Trump is (again) committing crimes. Crimes that Mr. Barr agreed were crimes during his confirmation hearings. (For my two cents, after Trump and Barr, following on all the years of Moscow Mitch, no Democratic Senator should ever vote for any Republican nominee, ever again.)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2020, 08:49:42 AM »

Mitt Romney put his 2 cents in yesterday:

“Unprecedented, historic corruption: an American president commutes the sentence of a person convicted by a jury of lying to shield that very president,” Romney tweeted.

Here's what Mitt Romney said in supporting Scooter Libby's commutaiton:

Defending Bush, Romney said at a campaign stop that "the president looked very carefully at the setting" before deciding to commute the 2 1/2-year sentence of Libby, the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, who was convicted in the CIA leak case.

The prosecutor in the case "went after somebody even when he knew no crime had been committed," Romney said. "Given that fact, isn't it reasonable for a commutation of a portion of the sentence to be made?"

Now I'll let the reader decide this issue.  But, please, don't tell me how Mitt Romney is this "courageous man of principle" or anything to that effect.  He accepted almost the exact same arguments on behalf of Scooter Libby (when he had reasonable hopes of becoming President) that he turns a deaf ear to in the present, and it begs the question as to why.

If Mitt Romney truly had the "dirt" on Donald Trump; if he had information on Trump during 2016 that would have been kind of Smoking Gun that created a consensus that Nixon needed to go, then Romney should have done so then.  Mitt called Trump lots of names, but offered no specifics, and this was compounded by the fact that Mitt conspicuously accepted Trump's endorsement in 2012.  The photo of Mitt and Trump going on to a TRUMP jet was used in ad after ad.  Unprecedented corruption?  What about the Bush 41 pardon of Cap Weinberger?  Russiagate is a scandal whose component parts have been disproven over time, but the guts of Iran-Contra have never been disproven.

This is what it is.  I'm not, however, going to let Mitt Romney be lionized.  His hypocrisy and double standards are the stuff of legends.  And if Trump is THAT BAD, Romney has never leveled with the American people as to exactly why.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2020, 03:25:53 AM »

Three Times William Barr Said Trading Pardons for False Testimony Was Obstruction of Justice  (March, 2019)

Patrick Leahy, specifically invoking Barr’s sanction of the Caspar Weinberger pardon that squelched the Iran-Contra investigation, asked Barr about pardons.

Leahy: Do you believe a president could lawfully issue a pardon in exchange for the recipient’s promise to not incriminate him?

Barr: No, that would be a crime.

Shortly after that exchange, Lindsey Graham tried to clarify the issue, asking the pardon question at a more basic level, coaching another not to testify, as Trump has done on Twitter repeatedly.
    Lindsey: So if there was some reason to believe that the President tried to coach somebody not to testify or testify falsely, that could be obstruction of justice?

Barr: Yes, under that, under an obstruction statute, yes.

Lindsey: So if there’s some evidence that the President tried to conceal evidence? That would be obstruction of justice, potentially?

Barr: [nods]

Mr. Trump is (again) committing crimes. Crimes that Mr. Barr agreed were crimes during his confirmation hearings. (For my two cents, after Trump and Barr, following on all the years of Moscow Mitch, no Democratic Senator should ever vote for any Republican nominee, ever again.)

Yep, agreed on all parts. This is why there should be be another impeachment right the heck now.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2020, 12:55:34 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2020, 01:01:38 AM by R.P. McM »

*snip*

I'm fine with commutation of this sentence.  Stone deserves a new trial due to bias issues with the jury foreperson, but one isn't forthcoming due to the bias of an activist Obama appointee. *snip*

With all due respect, the quoted part of your post is "1+1= Eleventy-Twix" level absurd.  I mean, it simply has no objective basis in reality.  I'm sorry, but there is no way that any reasonable person could honestly believe the quoted part of your post unless they had been so blinded by partisanship that they were no longer capable of reacting to current events with any semblance of objectivity.  

The rule of law matters more than partisan loyalty, no matter who is in charge.  I know there was a time when you still knew this on some level because you opposed Kavanaugh's confirmation and I don't know what happened, but I really hope you put down the kool-aid because it has been really sad to watch.

You ask what's happened to me.

There are three (3) types of Atlas Left.  One is the deranged sort; runeghost, is the classic example, but there are others in his league.  (AtorBoltox comes to mind.)  They are unreachable, and they are the sort of people that give me the creeps in real life.  (Chancellor Gowron falls into this group; his hatred of Trump goes way beyond politics.)

The second (and larger type) are the Broken Record Technique Left.  Badger.  Harry.  Joe Republic.  Frodo (who has lied about me on this forum and refuses to acknowledge it).  Dr. Scholl.  The whole lot of Hyena Packers.  They repeat lies over and over again to where they become axioms.  You know this; you've SEEN this.  Between this group, and the group above, I don't expect anything more.

Then we come to the group that has actually disappointed me. It's the group of reasonable liberals who don't reflexively hate America who are needed to be the last bastion of common sense in America today that aren't showing up for that role because they can't get past their personal hatred for Trump.

As a member of the latter group, let me unequivocally affirm that nothing is more dear to me than the preservation of democracy and the rule of law. And Trump is, without question, the greatest threat to said principles in my lifetime. So your point is nonsensical — my personal distaste for Trump is a direct consequence of his appalling, authoritarian, treasonous behavior.

You're free to question my ideological bonafides, but let me assure you, I've never voted for Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren. What you're failing to come to terms with is the degree to which Trump's disgraceful conduct has radicalized center-left Democrats, myself included. There seems to be this pipe dream on the right that everyone will forget about the Trump administration, and the GOP will successfully shirk responsibility. I'm afraid not.   
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2020, 12:25:28 PM »

Quit derailing threads with your walls of text that almost no one reads, Fuzzy Bear.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2020, 12:45:39 PM »

Quit derailing threads with your walls of text that almost no one reads, Fuzzy Bear.

Never seen a person use so many words to say so little.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2020, 03:04:59 PM »

Never seen a person use so many words to say so little.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies