Wojnorawski suspended
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:50:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wojnorawski suspended
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wojnorawski suspended  (Read 599 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »
« edited: July 12, 2020, 02:57:01 PM by texasgurl »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2020/07/10/sen-josh-hawley-calls-nba-support-troops-military-jerseys/5412882002/

Starts with this.
https://twitter.com/HawleyMO/status/1281604989593559040

Then for some reason Wojnarowski says fu and hawley makes a rant.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 02:27:40 PM by GP270watch »

Conservatives want NBA players to criticize China for the Hong Kong protests and then stay silent when black men get killed by police and protestors in The United States of America get brutalized.

Conservatives really have zero moral consistency.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 02:42:46 PM »

SHUT UP AND DRIBBLE (unless we say otherwise)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 02:46:26 PM »

He apologized? Weak.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 03:04:44 PM »

Hawley is such a phony. I have seen some say he could be formidable in 2024, but like Cotton he has zero charisma and just comes off as unlikeable.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 03:07:13 PM »

Hawley is such aphony. I have seen some say he could be formidable in 2024, but like Cotton he has zero charisma and just comes off as unlikeable.

Hawley seems to be just another conservative hack but with the realization that they're gonna need a dash of populism to keep giving their corporate overlords everything they want.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 03:10:56 PM »

> People who want famous people out of politics but also want to tell them how to think
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 03:16:52 PM »

Except Hawley is wrong. Adam Silver literally did this

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/08/768225490/nba-defends-freedom-of-speech-for-employees-as-china-moves-to-block-block-games

He stood up for Morey
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 03:18:29 PM »

SHUT UP AND DRIBBLE (unless we say otherwise)

except LeBron told that to Morey lol
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »

in what way did Hawley get "triggered" ? where is this "rant"?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 03:50:07 PM »

He got mad at the FU ,

He is playing this pretty well lol.

This is probably the 1st time in the past 2 months the right has had a cultural victory even if its minor.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 04:02:26 PM »

Hawley is such aphony. I have seen some say he could be formidable in 2024, but like Cotton he has zero charisma and just comes off as unlikeable.

Hawley seems to be just another conservative hack but with the realization that they're gonna need a dash of populism to keep giving their corporate overlords everything they want.

He is trying to run the Trump playbook, but he has zero of Trump’s charisma so just sounds like a fraud. He is Scott Walker with a law degree.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 04:22:35 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 04:32:16 PM by Storr »

It's like he doesn't understand that players in a sports league that's composed of 80% Black players would be more likely to support social justice causes than wanting to "support law enforcement" or call out China. Oh wait, it's just an attempt to play "but both sides". (In this case it's the ability for "both sides" to be put on NBA jerseys???) NBA players aren't politicians anyway and most don't really care or know that much about foreign relations/countries. (Cue Charles Barkley's famous quote "I don't know anything about Angola. But Angola's in trouble." during the press conference before a match against Angola in the 1992 Olympics that the US won 116-48.)

If they want to speak out about it, good for them. But, I doubt many of them care enough about Hong Kong or China to stake their careers on it.. Obviously they are likely to be more outspoken about BLM and social justice because it affects them personally.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »

Conservatives want NBA players to criticize China for the Hong Kong protests and then stay silent when black men get killed by police and protestors in The United States of America get brutalized.

Conservatives really have zero moral consistency.
/THREAD
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 04:43:40 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 05:18:07 PM by GP270watch »

It's like he doesn't understand that players in a sports league that's composed of 80% Black players would be more likely to support social justice causes than wanting to "support law enforcement" or call out China. Oh wait, it's just an attempt to play "but both sides". (In this case it's the ability for "both sides" to be put on NBA jerseys???) NBA players aren't politicians anyway and most don't really care or know that much about foreign relations/countries. (Cue Charles Barkley's famous quote "I don't know anything about Angola. But Angola's in trouble." during the press conference before a match against Angola in the 1992 Olympics that the US won 116-48.)

If they want to speak out about it, good for them. But, I doubt many of them care enough about Hong Kong or China to stake their careers on it.. Obviously they are likely to be more outspoken about BLM and social justice because it affects them personally.

Not only do they not want to speak on something they're not intricately familiar with they get tons of money from China and that is one of the key areas where the game is growing. To hold NBA players to a different standard than Google or other American companies who censor themselves to enter the very lucrative Chinese market is racist.

Black players even when they're successful and wealthy still have friends and family in the community who deal with police brutality. There have even been a few players who had high profile incidents of brutality.

Bucks guard Sterling Brown is lucky he wasn’t killed by Milwaukee police

NBA star Thabo Sefolosha(Biracial man from Switzerland) receives $4m payout from NYPD over nightclub fracas

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 04:44:45 PM »

Well apparently some players were told they weren't allowed to have messages about hong kong about back on jersey but i am not sure if that story is true.

Anyway if he called out LeBron on this it would be ok because LeBron did tell Morey to Shut Up and Dribble but Silver on the other hand stood up to the Chinese
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 12:29:00 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2020, 12:32:06 AM by lfromnj »

Still have no clue why he sent that lol but still not fair to Woj.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 01:16:14 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2020, 01:20:32 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

He probably shouldn't be suspended, but a) he didn't lose his job so he's still a millionaire; and b) there is a higher standard for a public media figure vis-a-vis these no names in that his public presence can actively harm the brand significantly more than some no name insurance salesman or even a VP of Finance.

Prepare for Republicans to completely weaponize and attempt to monopolize cancel culture. It won't come across nearly as poorly when they're punching upward.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 11:50:15 AM »

Deplorable Horrible Hawley is such an embarrassment to this backwards state.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 11:57:04 AM »

Woj should have kept quiet.

As a journalist, shouldn't you be objective?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2020, 01:50:47 PM »

The F-bomb is probably not as harmful as many other things that people say... but it is easy to stop.

I did use it against a recorded message in which I was warned that I had a computer virus... no, Microsoft does not send canned phone messages.  
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2020, 01:52:36 PM »

Hawley, Cotton and Carlson are the future of the GOP. Somehow that group makes Trump look good.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »

I don't really see the issue here, though I should start by saying I know absolutely nothing about most sports, NBA being no exception. But from the article:

Hawley added in the letter, "Let your players stand up for the people of Hong Kong. Let them stand up for American law enforcement if they choose. Give them the choice to write 'Back the Blue' on their jerseys. Or 'Support our Troops.' Maybe 'God Bless America.' What could be more American than that?"

Now I am sure that if they were given the choice Hawley or some on the right would then slam the players for the overwhelming majority of them not doing it. So this is not something with entirely noble intentions. But I fail to see how it's really objectionable to advocate for players to be allowed to voice their opinions on a wider range of issues, though I also understand most of these issues are either less popular with the players or not as near to their hearts.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies