30,000 boaters for Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:55:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  30,000 boaters for Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 30,000 boaters for Trump  (Read 5330 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2020, 02:14:16 AM »
« edited: July 10, 2020, 03:13:24 AM by TJ in Oregon »

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-boat-parade-world-record-lake-murray-1515891

I'm telling you he's epically popular. His supporters don't talk to pollsters. Liberals are in for a shock on election night.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 02:17:12 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 03:15:05 AM by TJ in Oregon »

I'm telling you he's epically popular. His supporters don't talk to pollsters. Liberals are in for a shock on election night.

Best,  please tell me you're joking, and you're really not this big of a rube.

But then again, according to your other multitude of predictions, we're all going to die of coronavirus the next four months anyway, so it all evens out.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 02:25:12 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 03:15:12 AM by TJ in Oregon »

0/10, not your best concern troll post by a long shot.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 02:58:09 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 03:14:39 AM by TJ in Oregon »

Interesting how any support for the theory that Trump has massive support not picked up by the polls is immediately discounted as "trolling." After Trump's Tulsa rally, liberals crowed that the mediocre turnout meant that enthusiasm for him had dimmed. I myself even wondered if I had been wrong. But it was always possible that the Tulsa rally was simply a result of Trump supporters social distancing-- they wanted to attend, but chose to be responsible instead. Liberals can't comprehend that Trump supporters are also responsible and don't want to spread Covid-19.

We had our first glimpse of this actually when a large boat rally turned out for Trump on his birthday, with thousands of people lining up at the piers of San Diego to wish him well. This is San Diego, mind you, in liberal California -- not exactly a Trumpian hotbed. And this wasn't an organized rally. Yet thousands of people spontaneously lined the piers and streets for him, despite there being no speech, no tickets, no nothing.

The fact that Trump got about 3,400 boats to do a rally for him is nothing short of remarkable for a few reasons. First, by most statistics, less than 10% of Americans actually own a boat. So 90% of Americans could not participate in this even if they had wanted to. If I, for instance, wanted to participate, I could not have. So,
(1) The fact that, even with over 90% of Americans excluded, about 3,400 boaters still showed up for him is amazing.
(2) Showing up for a boat rally is not the same thing as showing up for a regular rally. For a regular rally, all you need to do are show up, walk in, and stand around. But for a boat rally--and people came to this rally from all over the country, even states like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, according to one Fox News report-- requires you to (a) transport your boat, (b) launch you boat, (c) rig your boat, (d) navigate your boat in the water next to thousands of others, (e) spend hours in your boat. In other words, the effort required is orders of magnitude greater than it takes to attend a rally. And yet these people were willing to do it. That speaks to enormous enthusiasm.

Can you think of a single other political candidate who had a similar rally, let alone a losing candidate?

In reality, boating represents a good cross section of middle American society, because despite the substantial investment required, about 63% of boat owners had incomes of less than $75,000. Almost all the boat owners I've known have been regular Joes. And these aren't isolated people who just loaf around online, drinking on weekends, and being solitary like some urban millennial liberals. Since boating is a group activity, these are social people who are closely connected with family, friends, and other networks. In other words, influencers. These people are a good representation of the pulse of Middle America and their enthusiasm for Trump speaks volumes.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 03:00:19 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 03:14:47 AM by TJ in Oregon »

Bernie's massive crowds propelled him to the nomination twice.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 03:36:16 AM »

Interesting how any support for the theory that Trump has massive support not picked up by the polls is immediately discounted as "trolling." After Trump's Tulsa rally, liberals crowed that the mediocre turnout meant that enthusiasm for him had dimmed. I myself even wondered if I had been wrong. But it was always possible that the Tulsa rally was simply a result of Trump supporters social distancing-- they wanted to attend, but chose to be responsible instead. Liberals can't comprehend that Trump supporters are also responsible and don't want to spread Covid-19.

We had our first glimpse of this actually when a large boat rally turned out for Trump on his birthday, with thousands of people lining up at the piers of San Diego to wish him well. This is San Diego, mind you, in liberal California -- not exactly a Trumpian hotbed. And this wasn't an organized rally. Yet thousands of people spontaneously lined the piers and streets for him, despite there being no speech, no tickets, no nothing.

The fact that Trump got about 3,400 boats to do a rally for him is nothing short of remarkable for a few reasons. First, by most statistics, less than 10% of Americans actually own a boat. So 90% of Americans could not participate in this even if they had wanted to. If I, for instance, wanted to participate, I could not have. So,
(1) The fact that, even with over 90% of Americans excluded, about 3,400 boaters still showed up for him is amazing.
(2) Showing up for a boat rally is not the same thing as showing up for a regular rally. For a regular rally, all you need to do are show up, walk in, and stand around. But for a boat rally--and people came to this rally from all over the country, even states like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, according to one Fox News report-- requires you to (a) transport your boat, (b) launch you boat, (c) rig your boat, (d) navigate your boat in the water next to thousands of others, (e) spend hours in your boat. In other words, the effort required is orders of magnitude greater than it takes to attend a rally. And yet these people were willing to do it. That speaks to enormous enthusiasm.

Can you think of a single other political candidate who had a similar rally, let alone a losing candidate?

In reality, boating represents a good cross section of middle American society, because despite the substantial investment required, about 63% of boat owners had incomes of less than $75,000. Almost all the boat owners I've known have been regular Joes. And these aren't isolated people who just loaf around online, drinking on weekends, and being solitary like some urban millennial liberals. Since boating is a group activity, these are social people who are closely connected with family, friends, and other networks. In other words, influencers. These people are a good representation of the pulse of Middle America and their enthusiasm for Trump speaks volumes.

Goodness gracious lad, you're stupid.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 03:54:30 AM »

You stated the San Diego boat rally was spontaneous and yet the article you cite states that it was an organized event. The links below also indicate the Trump campaign promoted the event before it happened. Still, boats in California? That’s craaazy. Boats in a state with 40 million people and 800 miles of coastline? Weeeird. And it’s crazy how many boaters came out on the 4th of July weekend! Incredibly rare to see that many boats out on the biggest holday of the summer! And in SC, no less! What is it with people in coastal states owning boats and people boating on Independence Day? 2020 is craaazy.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumpworld-sees-boaters-as-a-maga-stapleand-now-a-bizarre-boater-pac-is-returning-the-love

www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/06/donald-trump-boat-base/amp
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 03:54:56 AM »

Do people have any idea how much it costs to buy/maintain even a relatively tiny boat? It's a rich man's game, along with a scattering of Baby Boomers who have had decades to hoard away cash and dump it into an depreciating asset in order to feel young again.

Getting a couple thousand well-off/Baby Boomer Southron boat owners from Aiken to Lexington to tow (or in many cases, undock) their boats and accommodate out-of-state shocktroops on them isn't an electoral show of force nor some demographic surprise if you understand the nature of the region. It's merely a very accurate display of the nature of the Republican base.

I'm not hostile to the "Shy Trump" effect and skepticism in polling, but if this is the kind of stuff you're latching onto...well, this ain't it.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 04:18:56 AM »

Do people have any idea how much it costs to buy/maintain even a relatively tiny boat? It's a rich man's game, along with a scattering of Baby Boomers who have had decades to hoard away cash and dump it into an depreciating asset in order to feel young again.

Getting a couple thousand well-off/Baby Boomer Southron boat owners from Aiken to Lexington to tow (or in many cases, undock) their boats and accommodate out-of-state shocktroops on them isn't an electoral show of force nor some demographic surprise if you understand the nature of the region. It's merely a very accurate display of the nature of the Republican base.

I'm not hostile to the "Shy Trump" effect and skepticism in polling, but if this is the kind of stuff you're latching onto...well, this ain't it.

I am, because I’m generally hostile to ideas that are objectively untrue and have been soundly discredited repeatedly, along with all other anti-science and anti-fact attitudes.

That said, I welcome more posts like OP’s. They make it very easy to know who to add to the ignore list.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 04:24:04 AM »

I am, because I’m generally hostile to ideas that are objectively untrue and have been soundly discredited repeatedly, along with all other anti-science and anti-fact attitudes.

That said, I welcome more posts like OP’s. They make it very easy to know who to add to the ignore list.

Nothing's been disproved because the election hasn't happened yet, but everybody can have their own opinions.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 04:33:43 AM »

Title's an outright lie, the article says 3,000. Plus this just shows Trump's supporters are the loudest, proving his "silent majority" is a myth.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 04:36:25 AM »

Title's an outright lie, the article says 3,000. Plus this just shows Trump's supporters are the loudest, proving his "silent majority" is a myth.

Yeah just start reporting the troll. Sooner or later he'll be muted
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 04:46:12 AM »

Yeah just start reporting the troll. Sooner or later he'll be muted

30,000 participants, 3,417 boats.
Dac10
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 04:51:29 AM »

We love our big beautiful boaters, don’t we folks!
MikeIrvine
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -5.74

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »

Less than 10% own a boat because the other 90% picked the mystery box
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 09:33:04 AM »

No one doubts that Trump supporters are very passionate. You'd have to be if you've stuck with him through all this. Trump is losing because their numbers just aren't great enough, not because their enthusiasm isn't high enough.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 09:37:58 AM »

SNIPPY SNIP. 

Less than 10% own a boat because the other 90% picked the mystery box

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 09:39:16 AM »

Good catch, Beet. Polls don't catch the boater vote because they're always out boating. Now I'm skeptical of every poll that comes out showing Biden leads. Pollsters should adjust for this missing voter bloc by giving Trump an additional few points in all surveys.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 09:40:05 AM »

Good catch, Beet. Polls don't catch the boater vote because they're always out boating. Now I'm skeptical of every poll that comes out showing Biden leads. Pollsters should adjust for this missing voter bloc by giving Trump an additional few points in all surveys.

I think Trump won the boater vote by +20....GeorgiaModerate, you wanna confirm?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 09:41:10 AM »

Beet, I get why you have concerns about the Democrats. Many of the problems they had pre-2016 have either not been solved or got worse. However, the individualism at the heart of American politics is a sort that leads to the incumbent president being blamed by many (if not most) voters for the wider political malaise, even if they have little to do with it. It's why Obama took heat for Republican obstructionism and it's why Democrats can engage in some fairly toxic behaviour and still beat Trump handily in November.

It's when Biden is in office that their troubles will start again in earnest.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 09:53:22 AM »

Nickelback is also epically popular among people who love Nickelback. Doesn't mean they're going to win a "my favorite band" vote.
mardigrappa
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 10:29:03 AM »

It's official, Minnesota and Michigan are LOST for the democrats. What will they ever do now? First the UNREST and unpopular covid mandates, now this. Trump just can't stop winning, can he?!
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »

3,000 is actually low for California, and for San Diego, a city with many military personnel and a population of 1.4 million.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »

3,000 is actually low for California, and for San Diego, a city with many military personnel and a population of 1.4 million.

It was in south Carolina which makes it even less impressive.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 12:57:20 PM »

It was in south Carolina which makes it even less impressive.
Oh I see.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies