Brazil Municipal Elections (November 15th, November 29th, 2020)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:12:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazil Municipal Elections (November 15th, November 29th, 2020)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
Author Topic: Brazil Municipal Elections (November 15th, November 29th, 2020)  (Read 17057 times)
Red Velvet
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2020, 09:50:07 AM »
« edited: November 30, 2020, 10:09:48 AM by Red Velvet »

“Centrão” doesn’t have any centralized base, it’s an agglomeration of many parties, so it’s wrong to assume these 25% would go to one specific candidate. Much more likely that this vote would be divided between small options or even go to a top candidate for pragmatism.

Presidential elections are also much more about one personality than necessarily just one party or ideology.

Last poll from EXAME, realized in October 8th, shows a more likely scenario, which is bound to change in the next two years as candidates announce they won’t run and campaign really starts:

EXAME (08/10/2020):

Bolsonaro (no party) 30%
Lula (PT) 18%
Sérgio Moro (?) 10%
Ciro Gomes (PDT) 9%
Luciano Huck (?) 5%
João Doria (PSDB) 4%

Sérgio Moro isn’t a politician and would be a terrible campaigner, so much that it’s more likely for him to not run and be something like Luciano Huck’s VP. All that Moro vote is weak and up for grabs.

At same time, “Centrão” is a political establishment wing that is different than “car-wash” supporters (which is what is represented by the Moro vote). The political center-right HATES Sérgio Moro too and they won’t automatically get the vote from Moro. You can’t just aglomerate all the different non-Bolsonaro right-wing sectors while dividing the left.

Bolsonaro car-wash voters who abandoned him did so in big part due to him sucking up to “Centrão” just to get more congress support. Car-washers made a huge scandal when Bolsonaro nominated to Supreme Court a candidate associated to the corrupt “Centrão” and not the strong punitive anti-corruption name they desired.

Also, PSOL isn’t getting this much vote intention you think in such a polarized vote with the risk of Bolsonaro being re-elected. More likely that these 6% people you mention would go to PT or Ciro.

Honestly, when all is said and done, the most likely scenario that I would predict right now is a Bolsonaro vs PT showdown again even if they underperformed in these elections.

PSDB’s nightmare would be a Huck/Moro run against Doria, which is why they could try getting Huck to be their VP and not having Moro run at all in order to appease the “Centrão” and get the political establishment support for Doria. And more establishment support means important stuff like more campaign financing, more TV airtime, etc.

If Moro doesn’t run at all and PSDB goes with Doria/Huck then I do think they can have a good shot though.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »

When I mean "centrão" it's the whole MDB, PSDB, PP, DEM, PSD supporting a sole candidate. But still, I'm very skeptical of PT facing Bolsonaro again. I fear that if that happens again, it will be a Bolsonaro re-election. Doria, IMO, has a lot "Alckmin" vibes, I don't know, I think he would be a flop campaigning. Like I said in my earlier post, neither side has a strong leading figure. But, until 2020, a lot will happen.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2020, 10:43:55 AM »
« Edited: November 30, 2020, 10:59:41 AM by Red Velvet »

When I mean "centrão" it's the whole MDB, PSDB, PP, DEM, PSD supporting a sole candidate. But still, I'm very skeptical of PT facing Bolsonaro again. I fear that if that happens again, it will be a Bolsonaro re-election. Doria, IMO, has a lot "Alckmin" vibes, I don't know, I think he would be a flop campaigning. Like I said in my earlier post, neither side has a strong leading figure. But, until 2020, a lot will happen.

Well, Doria is the biggest name the political center-right has, if he isn’t able to win then none of them would ever be able to break the Bolsonaro vs PT logic. It’s not like that center-right field is flooding with big charismatic names.

By political center-right, I’m excluding outsiders with no political experience such as ex-judge Moro or TV-host Huck.

But like I said, Moro would never get the support of the “Centrão” and his car-wash base would abandon him if he tried to pursue this dialogue with center-right politicians because Moro is liked by these people precisely because he is from outside politics, which is why he would be destroyed by actually entering politics.

Huck on the other hand has charisma and I think he could actually campaign somewhat decently. Which is why he could be the center-right biggest hope, either running by himself with Moro as VP in a more outsider-ish type of campaign (which would destroy PSDB and the political center-right) OR have him run as VP to Doria in order to add more charisma to their campaign and to “Centrão”.

That said, it’s hard to see Huck leaving his prestigious TV job just to be VP. If he runs, it will be for the main spot. Which is why it’s more likely for the right to be divided into 3 sectors if Huck/Moro really becomes a thing.

I feel like no one wants to predict a Bolsonaro vs PT because that would be the closest scenario that could re-elect Bolsonaro but it’s the most possible as well. It’s normal these days for incumbents to be re-elected anyway. But if his rejection keeps growing in next two years then PT could easily upset despite all the strong anti-PT sentiment still present.

Best way to break it would be unity in the center but they’re all divided. Center-left has Ciro, center-right has all these multiple options that also have conflict between each other with Sérgio Moro being a popular figure with a good share of voters but is hated by everyone in politics, from Ciro Gomes to DEM politicians. Everyone will want to run and divide the vote even more.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2020, 12:19:05 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2020, 12:23:15 PM by Red Velvet »

Variations in municipalities won by each party from 2016 to 2020

Avante +583,33%
Patriota +276,92%
Podemos +251,72%
PSL +200,00% (they were nobodies in 2016, Bolsonaro only joined in 2018 and left them in 2019 so expected growth since they became more known)
PSOL +150,00%
Republicanos +104,85%
DEM +74,44%
Solidariedade + 56,67%
PP +38,38%
PSC +33,33%
REDE +25,00%
PSD +21,79%
Cidadania + 18,80%
PL +17,34%
PDT -5,14%
PTB -16,54%
PROS -18,00%
MDB -24,25%
PT -28,79%
PSDB -33,76%
PSB -37,47%
PCdoB -42,50%
PV -52,04%

Variations in raw numbers:

Even during PT’s best years, it never surpassed MDB or even PSDB in total municipalities so be cautious before assuming they are dead because of this. National voting is very different. Their loss in % total is similar to the one MDB and PSDB also had, even if those two managed to at least get some important capitals.

Basically, the most known parties by name and also more traditional ones lost space to the “who??” parties or to the ones which changed names, as a whole.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #254 on: November 30, 2020, 08:11:38 PM »

A further observation about the Ibope polls:

The results of the vote on November 29th were almost the same Ibope was predicting one week before. Narrow Edmílson's win, not so narrow Campos's, Pazolini's and Sebastião's win. The polls published on the eve were wrong: safe Edmílson's win, tie between Campos and Arraes, Pazolini and Coser, Sebastião and Manuela. Ibope showed a left surge in the last week that didn't happen.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #255 on: December 01, 2020, 12:05:15 PM »

Why did Progressistas do so well?
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2020, 01:08:55 PM »

Progressistas is the Arena, the party that backed the military regime between 1965 and 1979 and changed the name many times. It was always strong in rural areas, even after the redemocratization. Progressistas was Bolsonaro's party between 1990 and 2014.
Progressistas did well in 2020 like many other non-Bolsonaro right-wing parties.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #257 on: January 03, 2021, 05:33:22 PM »

On January 1st, there was the inauguration of the mayors and vereadores elected on November 15th and November 29th. The elections, scheduled to take place on October 4th and October 25th, were re-scheduled because of the pandemic. The inauguration was not rescheduled. So, we had only one month of lame duck. In normal times, we have two month lame duck period. One month is more than enough.

The mayors in Brazil were elected after Joe Biden and their inauguration took place before.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies