Could Minnesota go Red?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:37:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Could Minnesota go Red?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Could Minnesota go Red?
Minnesota will flip

Minnesota will not flip

toss-up

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 134

Author Topic: Could Minnesota go Red?  (Read 1950 times)
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2020, 11:09:05 PM »

There's a chance, but it's extremely small. At the beginning of this cycle I thought it was a possibility if Trump bumped up his approvals (the midterm flips to the GOP in MN didn't look bad for Trump), but we've seen little movement for Trump in the state. It would take a 2016-style miracle for him to win in Minnesota. Highly unlikely.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2020, 11:10:21 PM »

This would be a real question had the George Floyd incident and COVID-19 didn't happen.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2020, 11:38:02 PM »

I thought Bronz was banned from making new threads.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2020, 12:03:26 AM »

Another sock account, newbie
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2020, 12:11:13 AM »

In a 50/50 election, I believe TRUMP would win. As it currently stands, though, I expect Biden to.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 12:21:54 AM »

In a 50/50 election, I believe TRUMP would win. As it currently stands, though, I expect Biden to.

It wont be one, Biden is winning plus even in a Rassy poll
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 01:18:52 AM »

Not unless Trump manages to become competitive again. He isn't right now. Even then it's an uphill battle.

I'd watch Minnesota in 2024, but not right now.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 08:16:24 AM »

2000: Bush 45.50%
2004: Bush 47.61%
2008: McCain 43.82%
2012: Romney 44.96%
2016: Trump 44.92%

2016's small margin was caused almost entirely by the large (8.64%) third-party vote.

Minnesota isn't going anywhere.

I think it may be one of the most, if not the most polarized states in terms of urban-rural divide.

no it's not
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 09:04:46 AM »

Not this election cycle, but I expect the next Republican president to win by more than a percentage or two to carry Minnesota.

This is a 2024/2028 GOP victory map in a close election in which the Republican wins the popular vote by more than 2%:

The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 10:40:00 AM »

No, not in the current environment. The rural white swing in the Iron Range and Northern MN in general is a real trend, but Biden is a much better candidate for 'downscale whites' than Clinton was.

But more importantly, the majority of MN residents live within the Minneapolis-St Paul metro area. It's why Hillary was able to narrowly win the state. Demographic trends tell us that pretty much all metropolitan areas are trending D, there's no reason to suspect that MSP won't (inb4 muh riots, seeing as even most white Americans sided with George Floyd over the cops, it probably won't help Trump as much as you might think). So if Biden can continue the D trend with suburban MSP voters and not lose too many rural, Colin Peterson-style blue dogs, his position in MN is pretty safe.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »

Trump surely has a chance but Biden is the perfect establishment candidate. MN has had a Dem streak since 1976 and while this streak will be broken, it won't be this election.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2020, 04:22:59 PM »

It is possible, however, the George Floyd shooting in Minneapolis may cause Suburban Minneapolis-St. Paul to swing further left, which could override any potential Trump gains in the rural areas of the state. However, Dems have about maxed out their vote share in Hennepin and Ramsey counties. Their aims now target the suburbs.
ExSky

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 05:28:21 PM »

GOP “gains” in Minnesota. Oh give me a break. Trump got fewer votes than Bush in 04. Joe will win by 10-12. I truly can’t wait for this election to come and go so this narrative around GOP “gains” is once and for all dead.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2020, 11:32:07 PM »

I edited the question. I still get confused by the red/blue flip that this forum does for some weird reason.

HERETIC!!!

Er, I mean welcome to Atlas.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2020, 09:28:14 AM »

I cannot believe that the Minneapolis suburban voters will just passively be OK with Minneapolis disbanding its police department.  (I can't believe how many Minneapolis city residents actually favor this, either, but they're more likely to remain in the Democratic fold than suburbanites.)

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2020, 09:36:21 AM »

I cannot believe that the Minneapolis suburban voters will just passively be OK with Minneapolis disbanding its police department.  (I can't believe how many Minneapolis city residents actually favor this, either, but they're more likely to remain in the Democratic fold than suburbanites.)

Some might switch to Trump over this (though the proposal as it stands appears to be just changing the name of the dept. and calling it defunding), but the wider population isn't yet associating Biden all that strongly with the defund movement. Where I think the protests will help Trump is in causing some people to temporarily move out of the Twin Cities and potentially out of state, which should particularly help Republicans in MN-01's race.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2020, 10:46:58 AM »

I cannot believe that the Minneapolis suburban voters will just passively be OK with Minneapolis disbanding its police department.  (I can't believe how many Minneapolis city residents actually favor this, either, but they're more likely to remain in the Democratic fold than suburbanites.)

So you've clearly not read what actual proposal is. You've also not realized that Biden has nothing to do with it.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2020, 07:42:12 AM »

Minnesota is the most likely Clinton '16 state to flip for Trump

Isn't going to happen though
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2020, 08:15:41 AM »

Could Minnesota have the potential to flip blue this year? One reason why I think it has a a possibility is that it swung hard to the right outside of urban areas last year. I think it may be one of the most, if not the most polarized states in terms of urban-rural divide. idk is this a possibility?

I don't know where you're getting this from. In 2016, rural areas in Minnesota voted for Trump, but by a smaller margin than most other rural areas.
LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2020, 09:07:43 PM »

It is possible, however, the George Floyd shooting in Minneapolis may cause Suburban Minneapolis-St. Paul to swing further left, which could override any potential Trump gains in the rural areas of the state. However, Dems have about maxed out their vote share in Hennepin and Ramsey counties. Their aims now target the suburbs.

I think there's still room for Dems to grow in Hennepin/Ramsey, as there are still quite a few Suburban R's in the Dean Phillips district and the eastern half of the Betty McCollum district.

The McCollum district seems like it's deep blue, but that's due to St. Paul giving her an overwhelming share of the vote. Go out to the suburbs, that district is more 55% DFL
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2020, 05:51:09 AM »

Yes. It is not particularly likely but it could happen.

I remember some theory that claimed the Missouri riots explained part of the massive swing towards Trump in 2016, so maybe the Minneapolis riots will cause a swing towards Trump in MN.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2020, 05:53:54 AM »

Yes. It is not particularly likely but it could happen.

I remember some theory that claimed the Missouri riots explained part of the massive swing towards Trump in 2016, so maybe the Minneapolis riots will cause a swing towards Trump in MN.

No it's not, Amy Klobuchar is likely to be one the next AG and prosecute Trump on taxes, and will go out and campaign for Prez Biden
roxas11
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2020, 06:53:32 AM »

Im simply having a hard time believing that a state that did not even vote for Trump when trumpism was at its peak in 2016 is now going to vote for trump in 2020 when Trump is nowhere near as attractive to lot of voters as he was back then. plus this time around there is also no Gary Johnson Evan McMullin and Jill Stein in the race ( Kanye is not really running so don't eve tying to bring him up lol )

as I said before When other blue states fell to Trump in 2016
Minnesota did not and I don't for 1 second believe that is going to change in 2020

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 06:57:13 AM »

Minnesota going red is just as likely as OK going blue.

Rs have really flipped, 1st they said WI was definitely going red again, but then they said PA would flip and now they say MN will flip. Since Trump is losing, they keep altering states
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2020, 07:22:55 PM »

If Trump actually had a shot at reelection, sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies