Who writes the last majority opinions of this SCOTUS term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:30:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Who writes the last majority opinions of this SCOTUS term?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who writes the last majority opinions of this SCOTUS term?  (Read 368 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2020, 12:59:52 PM »

Thomas and Alito are likely out of opinions. Trump v. Mazars, Trump v. Vance, and McGirt v. Oklahoma are left. Sotomayor, Breyer, and Roberts have no opinions from May. I believe Gorsuch gets the opinion in the Native American law case. I think Roberts gets one or both of the tax return cases.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 02:12:37 PM »

Thomas and Alito are likely out of opinions. Trump v. Mazars, Trump v. Vance, and McGirt v. Oklahoma are left. Sotomayor, Breyer, and Roberts have no opinions from May. I believe Gorsuch gets the opinion in the Native American law case. I think Roberts gets one or both of the tax return cases.

Maybe the Liberals let Roberts write the opinion in the tax return cases? I remember reading earlier about something like this on Alas.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 02:24:03 PM »

I would think Roberts gets at least one tax return case. Does Gorsuch get the Native American reservation criminal case?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 03:25:04 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2020, 03:30:58 PM by From Prussia With Love »

The other interesting one is the Indian Reservation case.  While it's not how I'd bet, there's about a 1/3 chance Gorsuch votes with the liberal bloc there and ends up turning a good chunk of eastern OK (including the entire city of Tulsa) into land governed by Indian tribal laws  and remove it from federal jurisdiction.  Honestly, it'd be very 2020 if that happens, especially since that case is on no one's radar.  If it does happen, the land in OK would still be an Indian reservation IIRC and a good chunk of OK's white population is going to absolutely lose it.  Remember, you heard it here first Tongue

Also, I'm tryin to imagine Trump's reaction to a justice he appointed writing the majority opinion in that case with the aforementioned outcome and it's friggin hilarious.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 03:44:29 PM »

The other interesting one is the Indian Reservation case.  While it's not how I'd bet, there's about a 1/3 chance Gorsuch votes with the liberal bloc there and ends up turning a good chunk of eastern OK (including the entire city of Tulsa) into land governed by Indian tribal laws  and remove it from federal jurisdiction.  Honestly, it'd be very 2020 if that happens, especially since that case is on no one's radar.  If it does happen, the land in OK would still be an Indian reservation IIRC and a good chunk of OK's white population is going to absolutely lose it.  Remember, you heard it here first Tongue

Also, I'm tryin to imagine Trump's reaction to a justice he appointed writing the majority opinion in that case with the aforementioned outcome and it's friggin hilarious.

Eh, that "good chunk of OK's white population" has no real reason "to absolutely lose it." Counsel for the tribe focused the issue on a limited scope, arguing only that OK shouldn't have authority to prosecute Native Americans (as opposed to all people) for crimes committed on this land (because it's reservation land). That's the only outcome they argued for, & such an outcome would "only" upend the criminal convictions of Native Americans (again, not all people) for crimes committed within those boundaries.

Imo, the Court would be best placed to simply issue a narrow ruling declaring the land a legal reservation & restoring federal/tribal authority over the prosecution of crimes committed there by tribal members without explicitly affirming any larger change in legal authority.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:11:06 PM »

Eh, that "good chunk of OK's white population" has no real reason "to absolutely lose it." Counsel for the tribe focused the issue on a limited scope, arguing only that OK shouldn't have authority to prosecute Native Americans (as opposed to all people) for crimes committed on this land (because it's reservation land). That's the only outcome they argued for, & such an outcome would "only" upend the criminal convictions of Native Americans (again, not all people) for crimes committed within those boundaries.

Imo, the Court would be best placed to simply issue a narrow ruling declaring the land a legal reservation & restoring federal/tribal authority over the prosecution of crimes committed there by tribal members without explicitly affirming any larger change in legal authority.

You don't think this is prime Fox News culture wars fodder?  Also, a narrow ruling would surely lead to lawsuits regarding expanded authority.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 10:18:12 AM »

Sharp v. Murphy, the Oklahoma reservation case argued last term, is 6-2, with Thomas and Alito dissenting and Gorsuch recused. The majority opinion is per curiam. I knew Gorsuch would write McGirt v. Oklahoma and Roberts would write the tax return cases.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies