The Presidency of America's Maverick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:58:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Presidency of America's Maverick
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 30
Poll
Question: Who Will win the 2008 Election
George W Bush

Hillary Clinton

Will be a 269-269 Tie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: The Presidency of America's Maverick  (Read 62291 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: August 27, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
« edited: August 27, 2021, 05:19:53 PM by Old School Republican »

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair and his Labour party win 3rd consecutive landslide in UK Elections:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg9aEV9bcxs

Election Results:

Labour Party(Tony Blair): 384 Seats(-19)
Conservative Party(Michael Howard): 173 Seats(+8)
Liberal Democrats(Charles Kennedy): 58 Seats(+7)
Others: 31 Seats(+4)

Result: Labour Majority of 122

King: Yesterday's election in the UK resulted in a 3rd straight landslide for Tony Blair's Labour party like many of the polls expected and is an election that probably will be welcomed by President McCain given how closely he has worked with Prime Minster Blair over the last 4 years. The Conservative Party the party that domianted politics for much of the 20th century including an 18 year stretch of power from 1979-1997 were defeated by a huge margin once again. With us is Richard Quest who will discuss more about the results

Quest: Yes these results were no surprise as polling did indicate this but to show how bad this was for the Conservative party in the UK, keep in mind in terms of seats totals the conservatives got the 3rd lowest out of any of the major parties in any election since WW2 with the only two worse totals being the conservatives in 1997 and 2001. Yes that means they are still below Labour in 1983 which if you remember spent another 14 years out of power after that election so this result is not good news for the conservative party at all.

King : It also is kinda weird to see Republicans allied with the Labour Party given in the past how close of a relationship Ronald Reagan had with Margaret Thatcher

Quest : It indeed is which is  why many reports even said that Prime Minister Blair rooted for President McCain in last year’s election while the Conservative party privately backed senator Biden according to many reports .

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #401 on: August 27, 2021, 02:08:30 PM »

I wonder whether Blair serves out his third term here? If not, Brown should call for a snap election in 2007 that he would have won.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #402 on: August 27, 2021, 02:54:34 PM »

King : It also is kinda weird to see Republicans allied with the Labour Party given in the past how close of a relationship Ronald Reagan had with Margaret Thatcher

Quest : It indeed is which is  why many reports even said that Prime Minister Blair rooted for President McCain in last year’s election while the Conservative party privately backed senator Biden according to many reports .
Why would the Conservative Party back Biden?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #403 on: August 27, 2021, 03:27:37 PM »

Why would the Conservative Party back Biden?

Cause a Democratic win in 2004 was viewed to be bad for Blair

https://www.politico.com/story/2010/09/blair-rooted-for-bush-to-win-in-04-041766

Maybe it may be a Bush thing more than a Republican thing but Howard I believe was also considered to not be liked at all by national security conservatives either so I think it’s more the GOP FP vision at the time being out of step with Howard’s conservative
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #404 on: September 02, 2021, 02:39:19 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2021, 02:47:33 AM by Old School Republican »

Houses Passes Tort Reform proposal after months of debate :

Blitzer: The House of Representatives earlier today passed a sweeping tort reform proposal after months of debate. While their were some changes made to the bill since the original proposal , we are told that pretty much all the main provisions are present in the bill. Most of the amendments we are told had to do with details of how provisions could be implemented rather than the provisions it self. So Bill what do you think the chances are in the senate

Schnider: Well I think it does face a few hurdles in the senate as remember unlike the house, the senate has something called a filibuster and Republicans dont have 60 votes so likely they probably will have to get a few of these provisions if they would want to pass it. Second is the special election in Connecticut next month as if Democrats win that seat as polls expect them to then Republicans drop from 58 to 57 senators meaning they will have to make more concessions to pass this bill. Given how the senate works its very hard for me to see it passing before the special election so I think we will see some things removed from the bill though I believe some variation of this bill will pass by last week of July or so.

Blitzer: Another big deal we are told is OMB Director Paul Ryan is putting in a lot of effort to get this passed as well

Schnider: Yes he is, as this was a long time goal of his, so lets see now how much of it passes.

President McCain's approvals remain steady in upper 50s

President McCain's approvals:

Approve: 57%(-)
Dissapprove: 40%(+1)

House Generic Ballot:

Republicans: 48%(-)
Democrats: 42%(-1%)

Greenfield: So far really not much has changed since November with the House generic ballot remaining where it was last November and President McCain getting the sorta of boosts reelected presidents generally get. Some good news for the Democrats is things have started to stabilize much quicker then they did in the last two cycles at this point so maybe it is a piece of optimistic news for the Democrats.

Schnider: These special elections coming up in 6 weeks should be able that question but a huge part of this is the fact other than President Clinton Being easily reelected , Republicans have pretty much dominated the political landscape since 1994 and maybe 1980 so I dont know how much things really would change or not.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #405 on: September 03, 2021, 06:46:38 PM »

Latin American Free Trade Agreement in Jeopardy as Brazil, Argentina announce opposition to free trade deal :

Blitzer: A Free Trade Deal the President hoped would involve the vast majority of Latin America is on the verge of falling apart as both the leaders of Brazil and Argentina have come out in opposition to a deal that has already been agreed to by the United States, Central America and the Dominican Republic. Lets go to out Latin American correspondent to find out why

Correspondent: The reason is that Brazillian President Lula de Silva has accused the US and other developed nations of pursuing protectionist policies while claiming they are for free trade. The example he gave was US farm subsides which he said are very protectionist and would undermine Brazillian farmers and urged other South American nations to come out against it and so far it has worked as Argentina has also come out against it and Venezuala as we all know was never part of this to begin with.

Blitzer: So Does that mean we will not get a deal

Correspondent: Well as you mentioned President McCain, along with the leaders of Central American nations and the Dominican Republic have agreed to a tentative deal.  The question then is will the President make the calculation that instead of waiting and risking this tentative deal to fall apart , to send this deal to congress and deal with trade with South America at a later time

Blitzer: What would you say the chances are at this point

Correspondent: At this point I believe he will have to for now abandon the trade deal with South American and go with what you have but we will see. Remember though something similar happened with NAFTA as orginally Mexico was refusing to join that agreement, so then President Reagan decided to just sign a deal with Canada and a few years later Mexico did join in. So I believe its very likely at this point President McCain will make a similar calculation.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #406 on: September 05, 2021, 09:45:45 PM »

Good thing that tort reform passed. And what about medical liability reform?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #407 on: September 05, 2021, 09:58:45 PM »

Good thing that tort reform passed. And what about medical liability reform?

Well it still has to pass the senate where democrats could force some provisions out through the use of the filibuster but I beleive this reform would also address medical liability reform too .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #408 on: September 10, 2021, 03:25:20 PM »

Democrats win Connecticut Senate Race while Republicans win two of 3 special house races:

King : In last night special election democrats were able to gain back the senate seat in Connecticut but ended up losing two of the three house races as well putting the house composition back to the 247 for Republicans 188 for democrats that existed before 3 members of the house joined the President’s cabinet , and the senate composition is 57 republicans to 43 democrats that existed before now Secretary Lieberman left the senate .

Here are the results on board

Connecticut Senate:

Richard Blumenthal 53.7%(D)
John McKinney 45.4%(R)

CT-5: Chris Murphy(D) wins 51.1%-48.3%

TN-6: Dianne Black(R) wins 54.1%-45.1%

WI-1: Stephen Nass(R) wins 52.1%-46.8%

King : With us now is DNC Chair Howard Dean who will tell us how he interprets the results

Dean : Thanks for having me on Larry but what I can say from these results are , they basically keep in line with how they voted during last year’s presidential election, with areas that votes for Senator Biden going for us , and areas that voted for the President going for the Republicans.

King : Given how bad 2004 was for you guys in congress , isn’t this a bad result

Dean : Not at all Larry , as remember we are still a little more than 100 days into this new term where incumbents usually make gains in the polls like Republicans did back in 2001 and the fact they aren’t this time shows they aren’t really getting a honeymoon period from the public .

King : So are you confident about the possibility of making double digit  gains in the midterms

Dean : Well I am confident we will make gains but there is a long time till the election and our job right now is too expand our party’s message in areas that usually don’t vote for us or haven’t over the past 5 years and give the people some alternative whenever the President and his party push policies we don’t think are good .

We have to do that first before we can have a possibility of making those types of gains and we will
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #409 on: September 13, 2021, 02:41:39 PM »

New York Real Estate Mogul and Apprentice Star Donald Trump questions whether or not the President is a hero:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7nrU4cEWRk

Trump: Listen for the past 6 years we have heard non stop from people in the press that John McCain is a hero and the fact is I have to question whether or not he is even a hero.

Rather: Well wouldn't you say the fact he refused to be released ahead of fellow prisoners who had been imprisoned longer make him a hero. He could have secured his freedom years before he actually did but put his fellow soldiers lives and freedom before his.

Trump: The fact is there are many questions of whether or not McCain gave up valuable information to the enemy and the fact you guys in the press haven't done an investigation into that is frankly ridiculous. In fact, I along with many people have serious doubts into the story of him refusing to be released and its very possible it was a story made up by the political and military establishment to make one of their own look good.

Rather: That is a beyond ridiculous statement and I think you should apologize for believing in such nonsense conspiracy theories like that

Trump: I'm not saying I believe in them but the fact is many do and all I want to see is them being investigated to find out whether they are true or not and the President can make this all go away if he asks the military to release the transcript of what really went on in that prison.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #410 on: September 15, 2021, 12:40:30 AM »

Senate passes Tort Reform Bill after getting some provisions removed to get the required 60 votes needed to invoke cloture:

Blitzer: The Senate today was able to get over the 60 vote hump needed to invoke cloture and pass the tort reform bill after they made some changes to the bill which was able to get some conservative and moderate Democrats on board. Here are the details of the bill that passed the senate with changes from the house bill shown in bold and things being removed shown with a slash.

Details of Bill:

- Would cap Punitive Damages at $300,000 $350,000 or 3 times three times the compensatory damages, whichever is greater

- Eliminates the Collateral Source Rule

- Tightens Statue of Limitation frame

- Reforms Forum shopping by requiring plaintiffs to bring their cases where they live or where they were injured, or where the defendant’s principal place of business is located.

- reduces contingency fees lawyers are allowed to charge

- Replaced Joint and Several Liability with Proportionate liability

- expands federal subject-matter jurisdiction over many large class-action lawsuits and mass actions

Blitzer: Now with us is former OMB Director John Kasich someone who worked on tort reform in the mid 1990s when he was in the house for his reaction on this bill passing

Kasich: Thanks for having me on Wolf and all I can say is this bill is fantastic and while I wish some of the provisions that were removed were kept in the bill, it is still huge that the reforms that we are gonna get are actually gonna happen. This not only will limit the problem of frivolous lawsuits but also should reduce the costs of healthcare for most Americans as our broken legal system was a huge reason for how large the costs were.

Blitzer: What do you think will happen now with the house, will it go to the conference committee or will the house pass this version

Kasich: I believe they will pass this senate version as while not every reform was able to pass, this is still substantial reform and it would be foolish to risk losing more of these provisions as it may indeed do if it goes to the conference committee.

House passes Senate version of Tort Reform and President McCain signs it into law:

Blitzer : The House of Representatives passed the senate version of Tort Reform and here now is the President ready to sign it

McCain : Today thanks to the work of members of both parties in congress , we have finally been able to get important legislation passed that reforms our tort system . For many years we have seen how issues with frivolous lawsuits and other issues have caused for example healthcare costs to go up for many Americans and while this bill isn’t perfect , it’s a major step forward in making our legal system better and in lowering costs for Americans not only in healthcare but in general as well . I want to once again thank all of you here today who did the hard work in getting this passed and now it’s time to get this piece of legislation to be implemented in law so I’m gonna sign it right now

McCain signs Bill
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #411 on: September 16, 2021, 01:44:17 AM »

Stephen Harper and his conservative party win plurality of seats in Canadian Election

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYmUGg4wTIM

Conservative Party(Stephen Harper) : 139 Seats(+29)
Liberal Party(Paul Martin): 89 Seats(-32)
Bloc Québécois(Gilles Duceppe): 51 Seats(-2)
New Democratic Party(Jack Layton): 28 Seats(+10)
Independents: 1 Seat(-3)

Result: Conservatives Short by 16

King: Stephen Harper's Conservative party was swept into power albeit with a minority government after an early election was triggered after Prime Minister Paul Martin failed a confidence motion in early June. This defeat by the Liberal Party will end nearly 12 years in power for the party , 10 of which were lead by former prime minister Jean Chretien who was really popular but the last two under current prime minister Martin were dominated by scandal and eventually swept them out of power. With us is now is David Frum, so Mr.Frum what do you think of these results and how stable would this government be

Frum: This minority government should be more stable than the last as the gap between the parties is larger than it was in 2004 but even then its hard to see it lasting for much longer than 3 years.

King: As for US-Canada relations what will it mean

Frum: Well as you know the President is really happy with the results, and we are told the incoming Prime Minister spoke to President McCain on the phone a short while ago . It probably will mean more trade deals, Canada supporting US resoultions in the UN more which is something the President will certianly be pleased about.

King: Thank You For coming on

Frum: No problem

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #412 on: September 27, 2021, 07:15:45 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2021, 07:23:07 PM by Old School Republican »

Suddam Hussain Sentences to life in prison without the possibility of parole after being Convicted of War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity at the ICC .

Blitzer: Suddam Hussain, the former who dictator of Iraq who ruled that nation with an Iron first for 24 years before being deposed by a US led invasion has been just convicted by the ICC of War Crimes and further crimes against humanity. This conviction mainly revolve around his actions in the Iran-Iraq War and the Gulf War which the ICC concluded indeed met those two definitions and for that he will be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

CNN International Correspondent: His attorney, Former Attorney General Ramsey Clark has said he will appeal the verdict claiming the process was much too rushed but we are told Mr.Hussain will be sent to the same prison in Miami that houses former Panama Leader Manuel Noriega to serve out the rest of his sentence. 

Blitzer: We did hear the process was streamlined

Correspondent: Yes President McCain we are told helped make many reforms to that process which helped speeden up the process. Now like any prisoner does he will have appeal rights as well, but the President also made sure the rest of the world agree to stricter sentences at the ICC which clearly happened here.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #413 on: September 27, 2021, 10:49:37 PM »

Where does President McCain stand on changes to intellectual property law to allow free market competition on drugs like insulin?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #414 on: September 28, 2021, 04:55:56 PM »

Where does President McCain stand on changes to intellectual property law to allow free market competition on drugs like insulin?

Well unlike in OTL, Prescription Drugs will be allowed to be imported from Canada, the Government will be able to negotiate prices with pharmaceutical companies, and create a formulary. I believe that would allow more free-market competition on those types of drugs but I am not exactly sure
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #415 on: September 28, 2021, 06:43:39 PM »

Well unlike in OTL, Prescription Drugs will be allowed to be imported from Canada, the Government will be able to negotiate prices with pharmaceutical companies, and create a formulary. I believe that would allow more free-market competition on those types of drugs but I am not exactly sure

Forgot about the drug price negotiations. Probably makes it a moot point since prices should go down to levels similar to elsewhere in the world.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #416 on: September 30, 2021, 02:35:47 PM »

Breaking News: Leeves Fail all across New Orleans Metro as Hurricane Katrina makes landfall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7unlPvNxLLA

Blitzer: We have breaking news to report and that is Leeves all across New Orleans Metro have failed and has caused the entire city to be subject to some extremely dangerous flooding. While we are told that the National Guard and local officials have been working to evacuate many residents from the city, given the size of the city many do remain stranded there. Lets now go to Anderson Cooper who while not in New Orleans is in Baton Rogue where Hurricane Katrina did hit hard as well. So Anderson any news you are hearing

Cooper: Many residents of New Orleans we are told have come to Baton Rogue while being affected by the storm, the effects aren't expected to be as bad as New Orleans where I am told much of the communication system has been destroyed due to the flooding and storm which has made it very hard for local officials to lead further evacuation efforts and have safety measures activated.

Blitzer: We can only hope that things dont get really bad as that could lead to some disastrous consequences. We are told that President McCain is currently who is at his ranch in Arizona is coordinating with FEMA and other federal emergency response teams to see what they can do to help save as many lives as possible. He is expected to fly back to Washington as soon as he possibly can and coordiante from there but we are told he is coordinating from the so called Western White House for now.

With us now are Lousiana Senators Mary Landrieu and Bobby Jindal who both are at Baton Rouge as well . So Senator Landrieu have you heard anything from FEMA

Landrieu: We are told that 80 to 90% of people in the city have evacuated thankfully both from their own means and through help from local organzations and FEMA but for people who are still staranded there we are told that FEMA has encouraged people to go to the Superdome and the Convention Center and will try to evacuate people from Helicopter as fast as possible

Blitzer: I know you spoke with the President, did he say anything about FEMA

Landrieu: We are told that he has asked FEMA to waive normal procedure for now and urge fire and emergency services departments to respond to the areas affected by the storms even if not formally requested yet due to the failures in the communication system. Also I asked him to ask FEMA to stand by and let any public or private agency help evacuate people if they want cause right now its more important to evacuate residents of the city and help the people stranded then to worry about normal procedure.

Blitzer: Senator Jindal , many are asking how the Leeve failures and whether the United States Army Corps of Engineers shoudl take responsibility for this

Jindal: Currently what is important is we focus first on responding to the present crises then once the crises is over, we can focus on what caused it and how we can prevent it from happening. I am sure that the Army Corps of Engineers and Local Levy Boards will take responsibility for this failure but currently we cannot focus on that.

Landrieu: I agree with my collegue as yes it is an unacceptable failure, currently we need to focus on dealing with this current crises and then later we will investigate why this happened and then we will pass a bill in congress to ensure something like this cant happen .
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #417 on: September 30, 2021, 06:22:00 PM »

Breaking News: Leeves Fail all across New Orleans Metro as Hurricane Katrina makes landfall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7unlPvNxLLA

Blitzer: We have breaking news to report and that is Leeves all across New Orleans Metro have failed and has caused the entire city to be subject to some extremely dangerous flooding. While we are told that the National Guard and local officials have been working to evacuate many residents from the city, given the size of the city many do remain stranded there. Lets now go to Anderson Cooper who while not in New Orleans is in Baton Rogue where Hurricane Katrina did hit hard as well. So Anderson any news you are hearing

Cooper: Many residents of New Orleans we are told have come to Baton Rogue while being affected by the storm, the effects aren't expected to be as bad as New Orleans where I am told much of the communication system has been destroyed due to the flooding and storm which has made it very hard for local officials to lead further evacuation efforts and have safety measures activated.

Blitzer: We can only hope that things dont get really bad as that could lead to some disastrous consequences. We are told that President McCain is currently who is at his ranch in Arizona is coordinating with FEMA and other federal emergency response teams to see what they can do to help save as many lives as possible. He is expected to fly back to Washington as soon as he possibly can and coordiante from there but we are told he is coordinating from the so called Western White House for now.

With us now are Lousiana Senators Mary Landrieu and Bobby Jindal who both are at Baton Rouge as well . So Senator Landrieu have you heard anything from FEMA

Landrieu: We are told that 80 to 90% of people in the city have evacuated thankfully both from their own means and through help from local organzations and FEMA but for people who are still staranded there we are told that FEMA has encouraged people to go to the Superdome and the Convention Center and will try to evacuate people from Helicopter as fast as possible

Blitzer: I know you spoke with the President, did he say anything about FEMA

Landrieu: We are told that he has asked FEMA to waive normal procedure for now and urge fire and emergency services departments to respond to the areas affected by the storms even if not formally requested yet due to the failures in the communication system. Also I asked him to ask FEMA to stand by and let any public or private agency help evacuate people if they want cause right now its more important to evacuate residents of the city and help the people stranded then to worry about normal procedure.

Blitzer: Senator Jindal , many are asking how the Leeve failures and whether the United States Army Corps of Engineers shoudl take responsibility for this

Jindal: Currently what is important is we focus first on responding to the present crises then once the crises is over, we can focus on what caused it and how we can prevent it from happening. I am sure that the Army Corps of Engineers and Local Levy Boards will take responsibility for this failure but currently we cannot focus on that.

Landrieu: I agree with my collegue as yes it is an unacceptable failure, currently we need to focus on dealing with this current crises and then later we will investigate why this happened and then we will pass a bill in congress to ensure something like this cant happen .

A better Katrina response may inadvertently lead to Kathleen Blanco being re-elected.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #418 on: October 02, 2021, 02:06:04 PM »

President McCain visits New Orleans in aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/25/us/politics/25mccain.html

Blitzer: The President earlier today visited New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina , meeting with the victims of the storm and helping coordinate the recovery efforts as well. The storm we are told could potentially have resulted in over 1000 fatalities due to the disastrous leeve failure that flooded the city.

O Brien: Yes and we could see on the streets of New Orleans many residents were criticizing both President McCain and Governor Blanco for not doing anything to upgrade the Leeves given there have been warnings for years that they were at risk of failing. While many say that FEMA did respond as well as they possibly could after the hurricane made landfall, there is criticism that they did not do enough to prepare for the worst before the Hurricane hit as well. So due to that many say the response to the Hurricane was a mixed bag

Blitzer: Now lets listen in to the President who is about to give some remarks

McCain: What has happened in this great city for the past week has been a great human tragedy and despite the horrific conditions here, the resiliency of the people who were unable to evacuate has been inspiring to see. While many lives were tragically lost, it was thanks to many people here who came to the assistance of others that this tragedy wasnt bigger than it was before. It is why we must not only help the city rebuild to where it was before but rebuild to a stronger place than it ever has been before . Lastly, we must also do all we can to make sure such a tragedy doesn't happen again which is why I am asking Congress to pass a bill that will ensure all our Leave systems throughout our country is full upgraded and to ensure communication systems can also withstand level 5 hurricanes cause both those failures here were completely unacceptable and we cannot afford to have that happen again.

Media Member: Many residents criticized you over the Leeve failure, do you have anything to respond to that

McCain: As the President, I take full responsibility for that failure and the residents here have every right to be angry with me about this failure. It is one of the biggest regrets of my presidency so far that the Leeve system here weren't upgraded in time for this storm and I want to apologize to the residents of this great city for that failure

McCain's approvals drop under 50% after mixed views on reaction to Hurricane Katrina

Approve: 48%(-8%)
Disapprove: 48%(+7%)
Undecided: 4%(+1%)

Congress Passes Hurricane Katrina Recovery Bill as well as a Hurricane Preparedness Bill and President McCain signs them into law:

Blitzer: Congress earlier today passed a bill allocating tens of billions of dollars to help cities affected by Hurricane Katrina recover from the destruction it caused. Most of the funding will go to the city of New Orleans but it will go to other cities as well. Also congress passed a hurricane preparedness bill that will upgrade leeve systems all across the nation so they can all withstand up to a Level 5 Hurricane, and do the same for essential communication systems as well. The President as expected signed both bills into law and said he will do all he can to ensure the money allocated from this bill goes out as quickly as possible to make sure the rebuilding effort can start soon.   
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #419 on: October 03, 2021, 12:20:05 AM »

Breaking News: Chief Justice William Rehnquist Passes Away

Source : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Rehnquist

Blitzer: We have some sad news to report and that is Chief Justice William Rehnquist has passed away. Chief Justice Rehnquist was appointed to the Supreme Court first as Associate Justice 34 years ago by President Nixon and then as Chief Justice by President Reagan 19 years ago led the court's conservative wing for most of that period.

Schnider: Yes as Chief Justice, his court was the first court since the 1930s to strike down a law under the principle that it exceeded its power under the commerce clause.  It was his court which for the first time in decades many says was moderately conservative after being strongly liberal under the Earl Warren years in the 1950s and 1960s and centrist to moderately liberal in the 1970s and part of the 1980s.

Blitzer: The President also released this statement

McCain: The news of Chief Justice Rehnquist passing is a sad day for our country and his family who I have offered our nation's condolences to. For the past three decades he has been a strong defender of the rule of law and the constitution and our nation will be very grateful for his service. May God Bless his Soul and may god provide comfort for his family in this difficult time for them.

Schnider: Was a brief statement where he made no indication of who he will nominate but we are told he has ordered the flag to fly at half-mast for the next 10 days.

Blitzer: Given the Supreme Court will reconvene soon will there be any realistic possibility that the President can not only nominate a replacement but have the senate confirm him or her.

Schnider: Probably not which is why we are told he will talk to former Justice Sandra Day O'Conner and other retired judges to ask if one of them is interested in accepting a recess appointment to temporaily serve as Chief Justice so the process for a permanent replacement doesn't get rushed.

Shortlist for Vacant Chief Justice Seat:

-Antonin Scalia
Current Position : Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court

- John Roberts
Current Position: Judge of the US Court of Appeals for DC

- J Harvie Wilkinson III
Current Position: Judge of the US Court of Appeals for 4th District

- Frank Easterbrook
Current Position: Judge of the United Court of Appeals for 7th District

- Paul Clement
Current Postion : Solicitor General of the United States

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #420 on: October 06, 2021, 02:32:37 AM »

President McCain to elevate Associate Justice Antonin Scalia to the position of Chief Justice and then will appoint Solicitor General Paul Clement to fill Justice Scalia's seat

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonin_Scalia
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Clement

McCain: Thank You, Thank You. After careful consideration about who should be the successor to the great late Chief Justice William Rehnquist, I have decided that the best choice for that position is Associate Justice Antonin Scalia. Justice Scalia for the past two decades has shown why he is one of the most brilliant legal minds in the nation , a strong defender of the constitution and has had almost two decades being on the highest court in the land to prepare him for this position. On Justice Scalia's confirmation, I intend to nominate Solictor General Paul Clement to fill Justice's Scalia then vacant Associate Justice seat. Mr.Clement is similarly one of the smartest and competent people I know and I am confident he will do a great job as a Supreme Court Justice.

Media Member 1: Mr.President what do you say of whom who argue that given Mr.Clement is only 39 years old, that he is too young to be a Supreme Court Justice

McCain: Well all I can say is I hope the Senate takes into his consideration his intellectual qualifications, his body of work and his character rather than his age.

Media Member 2: Given there is less than 10 days before the new session of the court, do you plan to recess appoint someone to fill the vacancy

McCain: Yes I do and have requested the senate to go on recess a couple of days before that date so I can indeed do that.

McCain to temporarily appoint former Associate Justice Sandra Day O Conner to be the temporary Chief Justice using his recess appointment powers while confirmation process takes place

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Day_O%27Connor

Schnider: The President today in a move that should come of little surprise, appointed former Associate Justice Sandra Day O'Conner to be the temporary Chief Justice as the confirmation process takes place as the court session is going on. We are told that the Senate Judiciary Committee is hoping to hold hearings for Justice Scalia and Mr. Clement as soon as the last week of October and no later then the first week of November.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #421 on: October 07, 2021, 01:02:55 AM »

Breaking News: Tom DeLay steps down as Majority Leader after being indicted of campaign finance violations

Blitzer: We have some breaking news to announce and that is House Majority Leader Tom DeLay has stepped down after being indicted on a campaign finance violation. He is accused of running a conspiracy of running a criminal conspiracy of improperly funneling corporate donations to Republican candidates in Texas. If convicted he faces up to two years in prison and due to that, he was pressured to step down. We are told that Roy Blunt of Missouri will be taking over that position of House Majority Leader but questions arise if he is as skilled at whipping votes as Tom DeLay was in the House.

Greenfield: Yes this has potential impacts of greatly impacting Republicans given that they in 1994 and in 2000 were swept in on anti-corruption, anti-Washington message and having the number two Republican in the House caught up in this does hurt that image greatly. Second yes Republicans will lose one of the most effective members of their leadership at Whipping votes but given the size of their majority, it probably doesnt matter as much as number 1 in terms of 2006 as DNC Chair Howard Dean released this statement

Dean: This scandal by the House Majority Leader shows that Republicans claim that they cared about cleaning up Washington is untrue. It is also hard to believe that Speaker Hastert didnt have some inclination of what was going on and even if this isnt the case, it shows that they have a culture of corruption in their party and the only way to change that is by voting them out in next year's elections.

Blitzer: So Jeff what did you think about that

Greenfield: Well Democrats have taken a generic ballot lead in a snap poll we did today but keep in mind they have a very narrow path to a majority and the question is how much will this issue resonate 13 months from now. Keep in mind that Democrats in both the 1996 and 1998 elections failed to take the house despite President Clinton winning a landslide re-election victory in 1996 and in 1998 while they made gains of the fact that the Republican attempts to impeach a then very popular president, they still failed to take back the house.

Really for Democrats to take back the house, they need to find some way to stem the conservative tide that has dominated Washington since 1994 and that will be a very hard task. While DNC Chair Howard Dean has launched what many are calling a 50 state strategy, doing so is easier said than done.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #422 on: October 08, 2021, 12:09:41 AM »

Iraq in historic referendum votes to become a federal parliamentary democracy

King: In a historic vote, voters in Iraq approved a referendum that will turn their nation into a federal parliamentary democracy. With us now is former Secretary of State and current contributor at CNN , Colin Powell. So Secretary Powell, what are some more details behind this

Powell: Well first thing is that they will allocate members of their parliament in one way which is similar to what we do in the house meaning that each province in Iraq of which there are 18 will be allocated a certain number of seats based on population. The difference between our system and their system is that unlike us they will not draw individual seats but rather everyone in a province will vote for a particular party and seats in that province will be allocated proportionally to the vote each party got in that province.

King: We also heard they will have a federal system as well, so what does that mean

Powell: Yes, in order to ensure all the ethnic groups in Iraq have their interest met, this constitution will also create a federal system where certain powers and responsibilities will be dealt with at the provincial level rather than the federal level.

King: So when will elections be held on a national level in Iraq and then at each individual province.

Powell: Their national parliamentary election we are told will be held in December of this year, and the provincial elections will be held all throughout March and April.

King : Does the constitution also guarantee rights as well

Powell : Yes it does have statues that protect the rights of women , religous minorities , and also free speech rights

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #423 on: October 08, 2021, 08:39:01 PM »

Ratings of the 2005 Off-Year Elections:

Blitzer: In less than 10 days two states will be holding gubernatorial races, and New York City their mayoral one. Here is how CNN rates them

New Jersey Gubernatorial Election: Acting Governor Richard Codey(D) vs Former Mayor Doug Forrestor(R) - Likely Democratic Hold

Virginia Gubernatorial Election- Lieutenant Governor Tim Kaine(D) vs Former State Attorney General Jerry Kilgore(R) vs State Senator Russ Pots(I) - Tossup

New York City Mayoral Election- Micheal Bloomberg(R) vs Mr. Fernando Ferrer(D) - Safe Republican Hold

Blitzer: So Bill is Virginia gonna be the only real competitive race

Schnider: It looks like it as Acting Governor Codey in New Jersey is now up double digits in the polls and I would say its basically safe at this point and in New York City, Mayor Bloomberg is up 20 points in nearly every poll and Id say its pretty safe to say he will be re-elected which by the way would extend the Republicans hold on that office in one of the most solidly Democratic cities in America to 4 straight terms.

Blitzer: So what are the polls saying in Virginia

Schnider: Right now in the latest CNN Poll the Republican Mr.Kilgore leads 47% to 46% but keep in mind the independent candidate in that race is a Republican state senator who is polling at 4% so he very much could be a spolier. Which is why The President is slated to do 2 rallies for Mr.Kilgore, one in Northern Virginia and the other in Virginia Beach but on the other hand President Clinton and Governor Warner are out campaigning in conservative democratic areas trying to boost their margins there as well as in Northern Virginia too . So this will be a very close race and an exciting one to see.

Breaking News : Secretary of Defense Tom Ridge to step down at the end of the year and President McCain announced DHS Secretary Robert Gates will take his place . He also announces that he will appoint former NYC Police Commissioner Bill Bratton to replace Gates at DHS .

Blitzer : Defense Secretary Tom Ridge announced earlier today he will be stepping down as Secretary of Defense at the end of this year like many expected him to do once the Iraqi national elections finished taking place . The President in a statement thanked Secretary Ridge for his service and announced that he will be appointing DHS Secretary Robert Gates to take his place , and on Secretary Gates confirmation will appoint Former NYC and current LA police commissioner Bill Bratton to take his place .

Secretary of Defense : Secretary of Homeland Security Robert Gates

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gates

Secretary of Homeland Security: Police Commissioner Bill Bratton

Source : https://youtu.be/EzwGe-t_z48
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #424 on: October 11, 2021, 06:00:17 PM »

I'm glad that Codey gets a shot in this timeline. He was so much better than Corzine.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies