Will the 2 party duopoly ever end?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:59:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the 2 party duopoly ever end?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will the 2 party duopoly ever end?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Will the 2 party duopoly ever end?  (Read 1855 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 04:59:09 PM »

Not within our lifetimes.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 05:02:32 PM »

No, and even if it does, it will be replaced by a new two party system (see the collapse of the Federalists, splitting of the Democratic-Republicans, and the collapse of the Whigs)
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2020, 08:32:59 PM »

the most likely way for the 2 party system to end would be the GOP becoming a party of a fascist 20% and the other 80% of America moving on without them, with the democrats splitting into a centrist to center-left consensus party with black/suburban moderate/asian support, and a social democratic to communist left-wing party composed of hispanics/white progressives. This would probably leave the Democrats as a decisive plurality
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »

Not without proportional representation.
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »

I think the two party system eventually will end. Not sure when but I think it eventually could happen.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2020, 03:03:32 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2020, 03:07:43 PM by Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More »

I think the two party system eventually will end. Not sure when but I think it eventually could happen.

The Democrats won’t be facing the Republicans in the US presidential election of 13648, if that’s what you mean.
I could see a situation where one party keeps winning no matter what and eventually one joins with the moderate factions of the other one but the last two or three times that could of happened, the other side put up a moderate that didn’t give in to the others side’s demands entirely though they did acquiesce to what would eventually be considered too much.
GeorgeBFree
Npard23
Rookie
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2020, 04:18:55 PM »

I think the only way the two party system ends if one party gains enough of a majority to form a one party state (Like Singapore or California where opposition is legally allowed but has no real chance of power). Third parties aren’t viable in first past the post system.

Given favorable demographic trends and voters preference for left wing welfare state and social policies, the Democrats are far more likely to achieve this goal than Republicans. DC statehood, continued control of under 50 vote through popular culture and education system, increased immigration from more Dem sympathetic countries, and eliminating filibuster would be playbook (easier said than done).
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 01:07:05 AM »

I think the only way the two party system ends if one party gains enough of a majority to form a one party state (Like Singapore or California where opposition is legally allowed but has no real chance of power). Third parties aren’t viable in first past the post system.

Given favorable demographic trends and voters preference for left wing welfare state and social policies, the Democrats are far more likely to achieve this goal than Republicans. DC statehood, continued control of under 50 vote through popular culture and education system, increased immigration from more Dem sympathetic countries, and eliminating filibuster would be playbook (easier said than done).

"Dem Sympathetic countries" Well I'm sorry the Democrats don't advocate for the destruction of their countries and all immigrants.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2020, 01:22:35 AM »

I don't know what the future holds, but one important prerequisite for this to happen is the abolition of first past the post. If two-round runoffs were conducted universally in this country, that would be more conducive to third parties gaining more power than they currently have.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2020, 01:25:00 AM »

Not until ranked choice voting is used for all elections.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies