Harper's Letter on Justice and Open Debate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:44:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Harper's Letter on Justice and Open Debate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you agree with the letter?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Harper's Letter on Justice and Open Debate  (Read 2313 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 08, 2020, 03:54:36 PM »

So because white men have been doing it for millennia the solution is to mimic their wrongdoings?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 04:05:10 PM »

So because white men have been doing it for millennia the solution is to mimic their wrongdoings?

Way to miss the "this is consequences" part. Removing support from someone for being a jerk is acceptable, as opposed to how minorites have been cancelled for all of history, simply for being minorities. It's only news now because those who thought they could always get away with whatever behavior they wanted are realizing that's not the case.

The problem is portions of the activist left define jerk as "anyone who disagrees with me." In the process they end up cancelling to the bone leftists like Chomsky and Yglesias and continue the age old trend of eating their own over minor differences on fringe issues, completely losing sight of the bigger struggle.

And frankly, just being a jerk alone is not a good reason to cancel anyone.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 04:14:28 PM »

Way to miss the "this is consequences" part. Removing support from someone for being a jerk is acceptable, as opposed to how minorites have been cancelled for all of history, simply for being minorities. It's only news now because those who thought they could always get away with whatever behavior they wanted are realizing that's not the case.

The problem is portions of the activist left define jerk as "anyone who disagrees with me." In the process they end up cancelling to the bone leftists like Chomsky and Yglesias and continue the age old trend of eating their own over minor differences on fringe issues, completely losing sight of the bigger struggle.

And frankly, just being a jerk alone is not a good reason to cancel anyone.

No, they're defining it as anyone who is a bigot and unwilling to change. And that is a good enough reason to "cancel" people. And, honestly, being a jerk is also a good enough reason. But as someone who was bullied my entire childhood, I have a zero-tolerance policy for a*****es. There is no excuse for that behavior. If you can learn from it and apologize, excellent! But if you're going to defend it (or the a*****ery of others), mmnope you're not with the time or effort to have in my life.

I was also bullied throughout my childhood... Don't really see how that's relevant. I guess we must have a different definition of bully.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 08:52:03 PM »

Nothing Rowling said was remotely hateful. I don't see how she's wrong. I love my trans brothers and sisters very much, but am more convinced than ever that the T needs to be separated from the LGB. You guys face a completely different set of issues and it has nothing to do with who you're attracted to.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 01:03:50 PM »

What should happen to a person like this who is openly racist to an Asian family simply trying to enjoy a meal?

I'm fine with canceling this person.

I'm fine with cancelling that person as well.

I am not fine with cancelling Rowling and Rushdie.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 04:55:25 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2020, 05:02:11 PM by Horus »

The letter itself is fine, but it's so vague that it can be interpreted in any number of different ways.

Can we stop pretending that Rowling is some kind of victim though? She's a billionaire who used her platform to spread awful views, and she rightly got slammed for it.

She's not a victim but her views aren't awful. Cis born women are going to have a different life experience than trans women, and at some points might be less privileged than trans women. That is not an awful view.

Trans people are literally like 0.2% of the population, and the left is collectively losing it over whether we should treat them as equals or as gods.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies