Harper's Letter on Justice and Open Debate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:33:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Harper's Letter on Justice and Open Debate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you agree with the letter?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Harper's Letter on Justice and Open Debate  (Read 2298 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: July 09, 2020, 08:31:46 AM »

I agree with the text of the letter itself, but I almost certainly don't agree with every one of those people's reasons for signing it. Some of them are hypocrites.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »

The letter itself is fine, but it's so vague that it can be interpreted in any number of different ways.

Can we stop pretending that Rowling is some kind of victim though? She's a billionaire who used her platform to spread awful views, and she rightly got slammed for it.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 05:20:50 PM »

(Whoops, I accidentally responded to this thread twice with differently-worded statements. Didn't mean to do that.)

The letter itself is fine, but it's so vague that it can be interpreted in any number of different ways.

Can we stop pretending that Rowling is some kind of victim though? She's a billionaire who used her platform to spread awful views, and she rightly got slammed for it.

She's not a victim but her views aren't awful. Cis born women are going to have a different life experience than trans women, and at some points might be less privileged than trans women. That is not an awful view.

Trans people are literally like 0.2% of the population, and the left is collectively losing it over whether we should treat them as equals or as gods.

She said a lot more than that. It's telling that everyone's defense of Rowling is "What!? How is (insert single out-of-context opinion from Rowling) transphobic!?"
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 07:00:54 AM »

The assumption that this letter is "anti-trans" when it doesn't even mention gender issues is pretty telling. It seems like a lot of the criticism is operating off of the assumption that if we let people say what they're actually thinking, they'll be transphobic.

I disagree with the people saying that the letter is anti-trans, but the assumption that it's anti-trans comes from the fact that some known anti-trans people signed it (J.K. Rowling and Jesse Singal, not sure if there were any others). I wouldn't be surprised if, in their minds, the letter was about trans people, but I doubt that many other people were thinking that way.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies