Democratic Alliance Party HQ - Snap July Convention [PARTY PLATFORM ADOPTED] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:50:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Democratic Alliance Party HQ - Snap July Convention [PARTY PLATFORM ADOPTED] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic Alliance Party HQ - Snap July Convention [PARTY PLATFORM ADOPTED]  (Read 6599 times)
FairBol
United States

« on: July 11, 2020, 02:46:59 AM »

WeatherBoy has invited me to become a member of this party. 

Looking at the current platform, I find myself in disagreement with several planks.  These include environmental issues, as well as the policy regarding abortion (I STRONGLY disagree on this matter).  As such, I'm going to have to decline the invitation for now, and remain Independent. 

Thanks for thinking of me.   
FairBol
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 04:24:37 PM »

If you'll have me as a delegate, so to speak, I'll propose a couple of changes to the platform.  Still not sure on permanent membership, BTW. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 04:38:31 PM »

Proposing multiple amendments.  Additions in blue, deletions in red

Foreign Policy

- Democratic Alliance recognizes Atlasia has a role to play in the security of countries around the world, but believes Atlasia should avoid war whenever possible through the use of diplomacy.
- Defense spending should be focused on the development of new technologies, as well as training. Strategic cuts to defense spending where practical should be made.

Social Issues

- We believe in the constitutional right to own guns, and supports responsible gun ownership alongside reasonable measures to prevent gun violence such as comprehensive background checks and reformed sentencing laws for gun-related crimes.
- The right to have access to abortion services should only be legal in cases where the life of the mother is at risk. not be restricted to women during their first 20 weeks of pregnancy.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 04:41:15 PM »

To Social Issues:
-The rights of the LGBTQ+ community must be protected.

Hmmm.  How about this:

The rights of all, whether LGBTQ+ or not, must be protected.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »

On the proposed amendments:

Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.

I can't support this amendment (as authored by Ishan).  I believe that abortion is the termination of a human life (aka murder), and should only be permitted when the mother's life would be at risk from childbirth. 

- Strategic cuts to defense spending where practical should be made.

I'm also in opposition to this plank. 

In order to keep pace with potential enemies, we must continue to lead in the area of technological development.  This means maintaining at least the current level of funding.  Our troops cannot be inferior, whether in training, technology, or combat itself. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 10:30:47 AM »

I assume we will vote on the several amendments/proposals soon, correct?
FairBol
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2020, 11:00:29 AM by FairBol »

Got a few more amendments to propose.  As with the others, additions in blue, deletions in red.  

Economic Policy

- Democratic Alliance is a firm believer in capitalism, with regulations that are necessary to protect consumers and ensure fair business practices where needed.
- Democratic Alliance supports a progressive tax system of limited taxes and federal regulation. that promotes financial equity. Tax loopholes need to be closed so that no person can avoid paying the taxes they are supposed to.
- Taxation and regulation should be made simpler, and easier to understand.  
- Welfare and social programs must be focused on helping those who cannot work, rather than those who can, but choose not to protected from harmful funding cuts.
- Limit outsourcing of Atlasian jobs by businesses through fair trade agreements and implement tax repercussions for companies that outsource.
- Pass incentives for businesses to move operations back to Atlasia and create jobs on the home-front.
- The enforcement of anti-monopoly laws should be strengthened and the government should prevent excessively large corporate mergers that are harmful for the consumer.
- Immediately expand assistance programs for struggling businesses and start-up businesses, with emphasis on small businesses and non-corporate farms.
- Rural areas of Atlasia continue to be lacking in basic social services such as healthcare and education. We support increasing investments rural development programs and providing subsidies and relief to ensure that all citizens have access to this.
- Investment in infrastructure development and maintenance to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure will create jobs and modernize Atlasia.
- Increase investments into programs that help communities suffering from economic decline to rebound.
- The High-Speed Rail Act of 2018 should have been passed. We support expanding high-speed rail systems and continual expansion of community access to public transportation.

Regarding the first line, my amendment is strictly grammar-based.  The sentence should have a comma in it.  Smiley

Also, I find the language of "where needed" to be redundant...we've already said that regulations are "necessary", which means the same thing as "needed".  

On the issue of assistance programs, I find that the first line dealing with it..."immediately expand...farms" is also redundant.  The language "increase investments...rebound" should be sufficient, IMHO. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 11:03:10 AM »

I assume we will vote on the several amendments/proposals soon, correct?
You'll need to become registered with the party in order to vote, but my suggestion is that once we've completed it, we allow an objection period where we vote on each plank that is contentious. I don't think we should vote on this as a whole.

I was hoping I would be allowed to vote as an "unofficial member/associate".  Depending on the final language of the platform, I may or may not officially join up.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 09:59:19 PM »

I support declaring that abortion is a fundamental human right, and women are always best equipped to make decisions about their own bodies.

Sorry, but no.  I understand the whole "my body, my choice" argument....but that's in error, at best. 

It is an actual fact that the fetus meets all scientific criteria for a living organism (I'll go into detail if requested to).  That being the case, it is not simply part of a woman's body. 

The fetus is a living thing, and thus has the right to life.  Taking away that right is tantamount to murder. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 10:04:57 PM »

When speaking of gun violence (as in the Social Issues plank), are we saying that regarding reform, sentencing for gun-related crimes should be more strict, or the other way around? I generally support enforcing the gun laws that are already on the books...but I can compromise on the proposed language. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 10:36:53 PM »

If you want a party that upholds your arch-conservative views then I would suggest you rejoin the Federalist party instead of trying to get us to rewrite our entire platform to suit yourself.

Heck of an attitude there.  What, I can't submit amendments now? Contrary to your belief, I'm not trying to rewrite the platform.  I'm merely suggesting changes to the parts of it that I disagree with. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 11:19:01 PM »

A fetus is not a person and therefore abortion is not murder.

:: sighs ::

I was hoping to avoid doing this, but I guess I will have to educate you on what exactly a "person" is, and why a fetus meets that definition.  Here goes. 

To understand why a fetus is a person, we first must look at the definition of such.  Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines a "person" (in part) as something that has "human form or attributes"; that is, a human

"Wait a second...a fetus is not a living thing", you say.  This brings up another point...just what, exactly, is a "living" organism?

Scientifically speaking, in order for something to be considered as "life", it must meet several criteria. 

• The subject must be capable of taking in, as well as expending, energy.   
  • The subject must be capable of cell division; that is, the reproduction of cells.
  • The subject must have an organized system of cells.   
  • The subject must be able to respond to outside stimuli, such as light and sound. 
  • The subject must be capable of genetic form. 

Let's look at the biological properties of a fetus.  Can it:

• Take in and expend energy?

YES.  A fetus needs certain nutrients for survival, nutrients that are present during pregnancy.  The fetus will use these nutrients for the purpose of cell reproduction.

• Reproduce cells through cell division?

YES.  (See above). 

• Does the fetus have an organized system of cells?

YES.  It has been conclusively proven that a fetus develops organs and systems very early on.  OK, so is the fetus:

• Capable of genetic form?

YES.  Early on, the fetus already has DNA, RNA, and all that good stuff.  Finally, can the fetus:

• Respond to outside stimuli, such as light and sound?

This too is a YES.  In fact, a fetus can sense pain as early as seven weeks into the pregnancy.  Its senses, though still developing, are in fact present. 

Taking all these factors into account, is a fetus a living thing? Scientifically speaking, the answer is YES

As it is living, abortion can be properly defined as the involuntary termination of life.  I would hope that we're all smart enough to know that's murder, as defined. 

BTW, whether you believe the fetus is a person or not, this question is somewhat of a "red herring".  Even non-humanoid organisms have a right to life, do they not? For example, your pet dog has a right to live, regardless of the fact that it's not human.  Can we at least agree on that?

Your biology lesson for the day is now complete, LOL. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 11:25:17 PM »

Since when have non-party members ever been allowed to submit platform amendments in any party? Otherwise every Federalist convention since the dawn of time would be full of Labor trolling over the Federalist platform.

I have a vested interest in the party platform, since I'm an Atlasian citizen...our government is supposed to be one of the people.  As such, it's within my rights to propose possible amendments...which you don't have to agree to, they are merely proposals.  It is your business whether you support my changes or not, but don't tell me I don't have the right to give my input on the platform.  

And oh BTW...if I was still a Federalist, and a Labor Party member was proposing changes to our platform...I'd take the same stance.  This isn't a "conservative vs. liberal" thing, as much as you'd like to believe it is.  
FairBol
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 06:49:59 PM »

Seeing the results of the platform vote, I'm going to remain independent.  It appears that no dissent from the party line will be tolerated here, nor compromise on the major issues.  I can't agree to that.  You say that you don't want to be "Federalist-lite", but I don't see much of a difference.  See you in other threads. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies