Democratic Alliance Party HQ - Snap July Convention [PARTY PLATFORM ADOPTED]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:26:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Democratic Alliance Party HQ - Snap July Convention [PARTY PLATFORM ADOPTED]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Democratic Alliance Party HQ - Snap July Convention [PARTY PLATFORM ADOPTED]  (Read 6513 times)
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2020, 11:25:17 PM »

Since when have non-party members ever been allowed to submit platform amendments in any party? Otherwise every Federalist convention since the dawn of time would be full of Labor trolling over the Federalist platform.

I have a vested interest in the party platform, since I'm an Atlasian citizen...our government is supposed to be one of the people.  As such, it's within my rights to propose possible amendments...which you don't have to agree to, they are merely proposals.  It is your business whether you support my changes or not, but don't tell me I don't have the right to give my input on the platform.  

And oh BTW...if I was still a Federalist, and a Labor Party member was proposing changes to our platform...I'd take the same stance.  This isn't a "conservative vs. liberal" thing, as much as you'd like to believe it is.  
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2020, 11:29:47 PM »

I'm no fan of the DA, but Fairbol's behavior is really inconsiderate and if he has to rant about abortion he should do so in a separate thread.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2020, 11:38:09 PM »

A fetus is not a person and therefore abortion is not murder.
BTW, whether you believe the fetus is a person or not, this question is somewhat of a "red herring".  Even non-humanoid organisms have a right to life, do they not? For example, your pet dog has a right to live, regardless of the fact that it's not human.  Can we at least agree on that?
This is an inappropriate place to have this discussion, but no. There is no moral consensus that killing any living thing is wrong. You can put down a pet dog when it's reaching the end of its life. You can kill a fly that's annoying you. You can kill animals for food. Anyhow, I'd request that you either join DA or at least inundate every other party with requests to change their platform to suit you, instead of singling us out.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2020, 11:49:59 PM »

Gonna ask if security can remove Mr. Fairbol for his disorderly conduct. I was willing to listen to you at first but now you're derailing the whole convention.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2020, 11:57:44 PM »

Just make your own party lmao
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2020, 11:59:14 PM »

He's your problem now

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2020, 05:55:04 AM »

Never thought I'd end up defending the DA but anyways, to Fairbol:

The DA is a centrist party. Among the many issues it has in the platform, it has the legality of abortion as one of them (and it's not even something radical but just a "safe, legal and rare" plank). The party seems very well united on this plank.

If you want to join the DA, join it. If you think that plank goes too far for you, then just don't. I am sure the Federalists would be more open to an open pro-life plank. Or you can create your own party.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »

Gonna formally introduce that grammatical fix since that's the only part I'm really in favor of. I'd introduce some other amendments but thinking about it, it would basically be left-wing Fairbol amendments, that meaning too far from the middle of the party to be considered reasonable. We'll all have our own disagreements with bits of the platform, we have our own personal platforms.

Economic Policy

- Democratic Alliance is a firm believer in capitalism with regulations that are necessary to protect consumers and ensure fair business practices where needed.
I support this, I also think Fairbol's suggestion to nix "that are" also works.

I appreciate Fairbol's suggestions but don't see them as actual amendments unless a party member proposes them. While I am in agreement with some of them, I personally don't think they reflect the full spirit of the party so won't sponsor them. As for the abortion discussion, my personal agreement is closer to him on this issue, but I think the best solution for RIGHT NOW is to continue working through the platform and get a completed draft, then allow a time for objections to particular planks. For ones super contentious like I'm sure abortion will be, I think the best best is to allow folks to submit proposals with multiple viewpoints, then let party members vote on which to adopt. Similar to how the iSideWith quiz works.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »

Update:

Economic Policy

- Democratic Alliance is a firm believer in capitalism with regulations necessary to protect consumers and ensure fair business practices.
- Democratic Alliance supports a progressive tax system that promotes financial equity. Tax loopholes need to be closed so that no person can avoid paying the taxes they are supposed to.
- Taxation and regulation should be made simpler, and easier to understand.
- Welfare and social programs must be protected from harmful funding cuts.
- We believe strong stimulus measures are needed in times of economic recession or hardship.
- Limit outsourcing of Atlasian jobs by businesses through fair trade agreements and implement tax repercussions for companies that outsource.
- Expand trade agreements with countries which share Atlasia's values of liberal democracy, strong workers' rights, and environmental protection.
- Pass incentives for businesses to move operations back to Atlasia and create jobs on the home-front.
- The enforcement of anti-monopoly laws should be strengthened and the government should prevent large corporate mergers that are harmful for the consumer.
- Immediately expand assistance programs for struggling businesses and start-up businesses, with emphasis on small businesses and non-corporate farms.
- Rural areas of Atlasia continue to be lacking in basic social services such as healthcare and education. We support increasing investments rural development programs and providing subsidies and relief to ensure that all citizens have access to this.
- Investment in infrastructure development and maintenance to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure will create jobs and modernize Atlasia.
- Increase investments into programs that help communities suffering from economic decline to rebound.
- The High-Speed Rail Act of 2018 should have been passed. We support expanding high-speed rail systems and continual expansion of access to public transportation.

Foreign Policy

- Democratic Alliance recognizes Atlasia has a role to play in the security of countries around the world, but believes Atlasia should avoid war whenever possible through the use of diplomacy.
- We will actively promote Atlasian values of liberal democracy, free and fair markets, and the rule of law around the world to combat the rise of illiberal, authoritarian regimes.
- We will stand firmly with our allies so long as they do not commit major offenses against human rights or international law.
- Expand our partnerships with fellow democratic nations and create competitive incentives for nations to democratize and cooperate with the greater democratic community.

Social Issues

- We believe in the constitutional right to own guns, and support responsible gun ownership alongside reasonable measures to prevent gun violence such as comprehensive background checks and reformed sentencing laws for gun-related crimes.
- Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare. The right to have access to abortion services should not be restricted to women during their first 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- The rights of everyone, especially the LGBTQ+ community and other minority groups, must be protected.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2020, 04:38:12 PM »

Environmental Policy

- Democratic Alliance views global warming as a serious issue, and believes actions must be taken to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. This includes investment in clean energy development and production, especially in areas with economies based around fossil fuels.
- By incentivizing private businesses, Atlasia can continue to innovate and develop more green infrastructure and technologies, and create good paying jobs.
- Protecting public lands and waters, and the wildlife that live in them is important for the future of Atlasia. Balancing development with these goals will be key to ensure our environment will be protected for future generations.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2020, 05:27:28 AM »

Environmental Policy

- Democratic Alliance views global warming as a serious issue, and believes actions must be taken to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. This includes investment in clean energy development and production, especially in areas with economies based around fossil fuels.
- By incentivizing private businesses, Atlasia can continue to innovate and develop more green infrastructure and technologies, and create good paying jobs.
- Protecting public lands and waters, and the wildlife that live in them is important for the future of Atlasia. Balancing development with these goals will be key to ensure our environment will be protected for future generations.

Approved
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2020, 05:39:55 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2020, 05:53:39 PM by Esteemed Senator Jimmy7812 »

July 2020 Elections (July 24-26) - Democratic Alliance Candidates

Lincoln Governor
ReaganClinton20XX

Lincoln Council
Ninja0428

Southern Chamber of Delegates
tmthforu94
Weatherboy
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2020, 05:42:58 PM »

We are moving on to platform plank objection period for 48 hours. Any plank that is not objected to will be adopted to the official platform. Any planks objected to will go to 48 hours of further discussion on alternative options for those objected planks, which will go to another vote, which will also last for 48 hours.

Economic Policy

(1.) - Democratic Alliance is a firm believer in capitalism with regulations necessary to protect consumers and ensure fair business practices.

(2.) - Democratic Alliance supports a progressive tax system that promotes financial equity. Tax loopholes need to be closed so that no person can avoid paying the taxes they are supposed to.

(3.) - Taxation and regulation should be made simpler, and easier to understand.

(4.) - Welfare and social programs must be protected from harmful funding cuts.

(5.) - We believe strong stimulus measures are needed in times of economic recession or hardship.

(6.) - Limit outsourcing of Atlasian jobs by businesses through fair trade agreements and implement tax repercussions for companies that outsource.

(7.) - Expand trade agreements with countries which share Atlasia's values of liberal democracy, strong workers' rights, and environmental protection.

(8.) - Pass incentives for businesses to move operations back to Atlasia and create jobs on the home-front.

(9.) - The enforcement of anti-monopoly laws should be strengthened and the government should prevent large corporate mergers that are harmful for the consumer.

(10.) - Immediately expand assistance programs for struggling businesses and start-up businesses, with emphasis on small businesses and non-corporate farms.

(11.) - Rural areas of Atlasia continue to be lacking in basic social services such as healthcare and education. We support increasing investments rural development programs and providing subsidies and relief to ensure that all citizens have access to this.

(12.) - Investment in infrastructure development and maintenance to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure will create jobs and modernize Atlasia.

(13.) - Increase investments into programs that help communities suffering from economic decline to rebound.

(14.) - The High-Speed Rail Act of 2018 should have been passed. We support expanding high-speed rail systems and continual expansion of access to public transportation.

Foreign Policy

(15.) - Democratic Alliance recognizes Atlasia has a role to play in the security of countries around the world, but believes Atlasia should avoid war whenever possible through the use of diplomacy.

(16.) - We will actively promote Atlasian values of liberal democracy, free and fair markets, and the rule of law around the world to combat the rise of illiberal, authoritarian regimes.

(17.) - We will stand firmly with our allies so long as they do not commit major offenses against human rights or international law.

(18.) - Expand our partnerships with fellow democratic nations and create competitive incentives for nations to democratize and cooperate with the greater democratic community.

Social Issues

(19.) - We believe in the constitutional right to own guns, and support responsible gun ownership alongside reasonable measures to prevent gun violence such as comprehensive background checks and reformed sentencing laws for gun-related crimes.

(20.) - Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare. The right to have access to abortion services should not be restricted to women during their first 20 weeks of pregnancy.

(21.) - The rights of everyone, especially the LGBTQ+ community and other minority groups, must be protected.

Environmental Policy

(22.) - Democratic Alliance views global warming as a serious issue, and believes actions must be taken to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. This includes investment in clean energy development and production, especially in areas with economies based around fossil fuels.

(23.) - By incentivizing private businesses, Atlasia can continue to innovate and develop more green infrastructure and technologies, and create good paying jobs.

(24.) - Protecting public lands and waters, and the wildlife that live in them is important for the future of Atlasia. Balancing development with these goals will be key to ensure our environment will be protected for future generations.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2020, 01:40:00 PM »

As Chair of Democratic Alliance, I want to congratulate Ninja0428 and tmthforu94 for their victory in their elections. I also want to commend ReaganClinton20XX for running a very competitive race in Lincoln. Democratic Alliance is now working towards a strong performance in the August elections.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »

I'm extending the platform plank objection period for another 24 hours.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2020, 09:28:41 PM »

I object to Clause 20. I support a vote on the issue with multiple options available and will be supporting a more pro-life stance. Whether that happens right away or if there is an up/down vote on the current version is at the Chair's discretion, I presume.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2020, 09:30:47 PM »

I object to Clause 20. I support a vote on the issue with multiple options available and will be supporting a more pro-life stance. Whether that happens right away or if there is an up/down vote on the current version is at the Chair's discretion, I presume.

Objection noted.

Such plank current reads:
Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare. The right to have access to abortion services should not be restricted to women during their first 20 weeks of pregnancy.

There shall be 48 hours of debate where alternative planks for this position shall be introduced.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2020, 09:35:12 PM »

My proposal:
Abortion is a decision best left for the regions to decide, not federal government. It should only be legal in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is endangered. Birth control and contraceptives should be free and readily available.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2020, 10:32:15 PM »

I am in favor of the current clause.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2020, 11:22:13 PM »

My proposal:
Abortion is a decision best left for the regions to decide, not federal government. It should only be legal in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is endangered. Birth control and contraceptives should be free and readily available.

Noted.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2020, 10:39:19 AM »

All planks of the platform proposal except #20 have been adopted with no objections.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2020, 11:03:23 PM »

Platform Plank #20 Vote

The vote shall last 48 hours.

[  ] Option 1
Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare. The right to have access to abortion services should not be restricted to women during their first 20 weeks of pregnancy.

[  ] Option 2
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2020, 11:28:07 PM »

Platform Plank #20 Vote

[ X ] Option 1

[  ] Option 2
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2020, 11:29:53 PM »

Platform Plank #20 Vote

[  ] Option 1

[X] Option 2
Politics Fan

« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2020, 11:42:01 PM »

Platform Plank #20 Vote

[  ] Option 1

[X] Option 2
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies