John Dule's 100 Favorite Films Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:32:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  John Dule's 100 Favorite Films Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Dule's 100 Favorite Films Thread  (Read 5217 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: July 07, 2020, 06:44:49 PM »

This forum in general seems to almost universally agree that this movie is great, from what I've seen. It seems to come up quite often in movie discussion threads and even a recent thread of its own on this board. I would agree also. It's not my absolute favorite film of all time, but it is my absolute favorite Western, a genre which I tend not to care for more often than not. There is a reason why it is often the first Western that people think of even if they haven't seen it.

I also share your esteem for Tuco. I wish he was the iconic character that he deserves to be. In a way he really is the heart of the movie, and certainly it's best character. The whole subplot with his brother is fantastic, and I always loved how he was sort of a comedic relief character but also still very much a badass at the same time.

And I think I mentioned in the Ennio Morricone thread that I am actually watching it this weekend with my friend who has never seen it before. It should be fun.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 08:25:42 PM »

While there ought to be at least one of the trilogy on your list, I'm doubtful it should be #1, and if it is, it should be For a Few Dollars More

'For A Few Dollars More' is also another one of the few Westerns I like, but I just don't quite like it as much as 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.' It just doesn't quite feel as epic. I do prefer it to the previous loose "Dollars Trilogy" entry: 'A Fistful of Dollars' which I saw before and liked okay, but was fairly forgettable to me. The Morricone score in both of them is still rad though and definitely served as the precursor to his more iconic score in 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.'
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 06:30:03 PM »

'Lawrence of Arabia' is a movie I have always wanted to see but has always eluded me. I don't think I've ever encountered it on cable or a streaming service in the time that I've been interested in watching it. Some day I'll see it, I'm sure.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 06:26:39 PM »

Having read the book and being a big fan of the movie also I must agree with Dule almost entirely because the Nadsat gets in the way of the story in written form to me. In the film it makes more sense with a visual context.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 07:16:02 PM »

^Once again we are in agreement, John. 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' is my absolute favorite Wes Anderson movie (though I like or love all of his films.) and may be in my top five movies ever. I agree that I can watch it anytime. Hell, for awhile I actually did. When it first premiered on HBO, where I first saw it, I literally did watch it every time it was on and I had nothing else to watch after seeing it the first time and being blown away. However, it really dropped off in airing on cable after some time and I actually haven't seen it in years. It's ingrained in my memory though. I really should own it.

It also always makes me really hungry for pastries because of those weird cakes that Saorise Ronan's character makes throughout the movie. I imagine that she added to how much you enjoy the film, I know you have a fondness for her. And I agree, she's great in everything, even when she has an odd birthmark in the shape of Mexico on her face.

And yes, Ralph Fiennes is phenomenal. It's one of my favorite performances ever. He's f***ing hysterical while also being this enigmatic, incredibly charming figure that seems larger-than-life yet also has an air of seriousness to him. And that all comes through with how he and Zero interact throughout the movie. The ensemble cast as a whole is wonderful.

Alexandre Desplat's score is also phenomenal and the cinematography speaks for itself, as with most Wes Anderson movies.

Dammit! You made me want to go watch it right now!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »

^Once again we are in agreement, John. 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' is my absolute favorite Wes Anderson movie (though I like or love all of his films.) and may be in my top five movies ever. I agree that I can watch it anytime. Hell, for awhile I actually did. When it first premiered on HBO, where I first saw it, I literally did watch it every time it was on and I had nothing else to watch after seeing it the first time and being blown away. However, it really dropped off in airing on cable after some time and I actually haven't seen it in years. It's ingrained in my memory though. I really should own it.

It also always makes me really hungry for pastries because of those weird cakes that Saorise Ronan's character makes throughout the movie. I imagine that she added to how much you enjoy the film, I know you have a fondness for her. And I agree, she's great in everything, even when she has an odd birthmark in the shape of Mexico on her face.

And yes, Ralph Fiennes is phenomenal. It's one of my favorite performances ever. He's f***ing hysterical while also being this enigmatic, incredibly charming figure that seems larger-than-life yet also has an air of seriousness to him. And that all comes through with how he and Zero interact throughout the movie. The ensemble cast as a whole is wonderful.

Alexandre Desplat's score is also phenomenal and the cinematography speaks for itself, as with most Wes Anderson movies.

Dammit! You made me want to go watch it right now!

I recall seeing complaints when the film first came out about how Ronan was underused. I sort of agree (though to be honest, I'd be happy if it was an hour longer), but I think by making her a side character, the movie manages to illustrate Zero's long-lasting pain over losing her. Because it's his story, it makes sense that he wouldn't want to discuss her too much. Also, another thing I neglected to mention: I love how Anderson didn't give a crap about having Irish, British, and American actors all working together, and he didn't make the slightest effort to mask their accents. Having Ed Norton pop in with his extremely flat accent every now and then just adds to the hilarity.

The music is absolutely wonderful; I've been learning it on piano recently and it's a ton of fun to play.

I enjoyed the variety of accents too. Usually I'm a stickler for accents in films but I can get past it in Wes Anderson films since his movies tend to exist in their own universes, especially this one involving a fictional country.

As for Ronan being underutilized, maybe in hindsight that's a valid criticism but at the time she wasn't quite the critical darling leading lady she is now. That probably started with 'Brooklyn' and continued on since then. Prior to that though she was in 'Atonement,' and nominated for an Oscar for it at a very young age, but then in schlock like 'Hanna,' 'The Host,' or 'The Lovely Bones.' Her career taking off and being featured in more consistent quality movies may actually have started with 'The Grand Budapest Hotel.'
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 07:29:29 PM »

'The Wrath of Khan' is the only 'Star trek' film I have ever seen, and that's probably for the best.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 04:58:41 PM »

'Pig' is still high on my radar of movies I want to watch, but I haven't managed to come across it on any of the platforms I am subscribed to yet.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies