John Dule's 100 Favorite Films Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:56:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  John Dule's 100 Favorite Films Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Dule's 100 Favorite Films Thread  (Read 5338 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: July 09, 2020, 05:59:38 PM »

Never seen these movies, my favorite movie is The Departed, there is also The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, Goodfellas, and It's a wonderful life. These first two movies have been boomer flicks.

And those aren't Boomer flicks? Three of those will appear on this list, btw.

------------------------------------------------------------

#3: Cinema Paradiso

For those of you keeping track at home, this is the second Morricone-scored film in my top three movies. If there is any rival to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly's soundtrack, it is Cinema Paradiso's. These two scores together are a perfect illustration of the range of sound that Morricone worked with, and the variety of emotions he was capable of evoking. This is a deeply sentimental film, and Morricone distills that feeling down to its essence in this score. It is the type of music that will make you feel nostalgia for things you never experienced.

Cinema Paradiso has a curious relationship with nostalgia-- it engages in unapologetic heartstring-tugging, but at the same time it's critical of nostalgic attitudes. It recognizes that in order for us to progress, we must learn to move on from the past; at the same time, it recognizes the value in remembering where we came from. This balanced, honest look at life is what elevates it above other tearjerkers and propels it into the realm of truly great filmmaking. Toto's transformation into a successful adult requires that he puts certain things behind him, but this is never portrayed as a moral compromise (as it so often is in similar films)-- rather, it speaks to the strength of his character. The movie also has an (admittedly minor) undercurrent of anti-censorship, which appeals to my libertarian sensibilities. Oh, and of course, it's about a kid who loves movies... which probably plays a part in my appreciation for it as well.

If you haven't seen this movie, I'd invite you to give this a listen quick and see if it doesn't pique your curiosity. This is a film that I think genuinely has something for everyone. It is one of the great joys of life.

Somehow I'm surprised by this and also not.

It's up there for me as well, but I have to admit that is does get a little melodramatic at parts, and ultimately...it's Morricone's score that elevates an above-average movie into something more.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies