SENATE BILL: National College Access Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:57:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: National College Access Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: National College Access Act (Passed)  (Read 3759 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 02:36:14 AM »

I am working on one, maybe two amendments, one of which addresses some minor issues. It was my hope to have them done tonight but I got on too late and I need to get to sleep for work tomorrow. I don't fancy sleep typing my way through bill amendments, though I have done that before on various postings. Tongue
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »

I'm not convinced that nationalizing college admission exams will solve the structural issues with higher education in this country. I'll wait for Yankee's amendment before I propose any changes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 06:11:42 PM »

Well regardless of what happens now, we have generated public interest in this bill and that is the important thing. We need more of that and preferably on the AFE board.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 06:13:12 PM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered
NATIONAL COLLEGE ACCESS ACT

To nationalize the various enterprises doing tests for college access and put them under the control and supervision of the Republic of Atlasia

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled
SECTION I. NATIONALIZING BIG TEST MAKERS
1. CollegeBoard is hereby nationalized and placed under the control of the Atlasian Department of Education.

2. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) is hereby nationalized and placed under the control of the Atlasian Department of Education.

3. ACT, Inc. is hereby nationalized and placed under the control of the Atlasian Department of Education.

SECTION II. PHASING OUT BAD TESTS AND PROGRAMS
1. The Scholastic Assessment Test (ACT) shall be phased out by the end of the 2021/2022 school year.

2. The ACT test shall be phased out by the end of the end of the 2021/2022 school year.

3. The Advanced Placement program (AP) shall be phased out by the end of the 2021/2022 school year.

4. The Atlasian Department of Education shall work towards reducing the amount of public standardized tests supplied to public high schools.

5. Any private organization seeking to supply assessments to any public high school in the Republic of Atlasia must comply with the standards specified in Section IV of this bill in addition to any standards implemented by regional governments.

SECTION III. NATIONAL TESTING ORGANISATION
1. CollegeBoard, the Educational Testing Service and ACT, Inc. shall be consolidated into a new assessment provider referred to as the National Testing Organisation (NTO). This new organization shall be formed as a subsidiary under the Department of Education.

2. The NTO shall be responsible for producing assessments to the standards provided in Section IV of this bill.

3. Regions are permitted to opt-out of any assessments imposed on a national level in favour of regional assessments.

4. The NTO shall have a separate department for each region which shall produce assessments according to the policies of the regional governments.

5. The NTO shall operate on a budget of $800 million per year, subject to inflation.

6. The NTO shall begin distributing assessments for academic year 2021/2022.

SECTION IV: ASSESSMENT STANDARDS
1. All specified assessment providers must meet the standards described in this section:
 a. All specified assessment providers must incorporate 2 or more of the following modes of assessment into any assessment regime:
 i. Essay-based assessment.
 ii. Research project.
 iii. Mathematical problem-solving.
 iv. Scientific experiment.
 v. Artistic project.
 vi. Work experience and internships.
 vii. Spoken exam.
 b. All specified assessment providers must have clear arrangements for giving special consideration to students facing the following circumstances:
 i. Physical and mental disabilities.
 ii. Learning difficulties.
 iii. Illness or injury.
 iv. Bereavement.

2. Schools must have clear arrangements to ensure access to assessments to students facing limiting circumstances.
 a. Eligible concerns:
 ii. Learning disabilities.
 iii. Illness or injury.
 iv. Bereavement.
 b. Responsibilities:
 i. Schools must offer the opportunity to take an assessment at another date for students who are unable to take an assessment where there is a specific date.
 ii. Schools must inform the assessment provider if a student is eligible for special consideration as outlined in Part 1b.
 iii. Schools must respond to and record concerns issued by Students and Guardians regarding a need for special consideration.

3. All specified assessment providers must provide the following material free of charge:
 a. Past papers
 b. Sample papers
 c. Model answers
 d. Grading rubric
 e. Information about relevant learning materials available for students

4. A sub-department shall be formed under each regional department which shall be responsible for ensuring that the assessments produced by the NTO meet the standards provided in this section.

5. The sub-departments created by Part 4 are required to publish a report by the 1st of November every year examining the assessments they have produced, the results and feedback received; and explaining measures the organisation has taken to ensure the standards covered in this section and any additional policies implemented by the relevant region have been adhered to.
 a. This provision shall take effect on the 1st of January 2022.

SECTION V: INVESTING IN THE NEXT GENERATION
1. The budget of the Department of Education shall be increased by $10 billion.
 a. This money shall be used to fund the grant provided in Part 3.
 b. The remainder of this money shall be distributed to schools.
 i. The Department of Education shall be tasked with calculating a formula which prioritises schools with large class sizes, low funding per student and low achievement.

2. The price for a textbook or other learning material required to take an assessment shall be capped at $75 per item.

3. Students living below the Atlasian Federal Poverty line shall be eligible for a $200 grant to pay for books and supplies.

SECTION VI. PAYING FOR THE NATIONALIZATIONS
1. A tax of 2% per annum shall be levied on endowments supported by educational institutions who have net assets of more than $500,000 per student.
 a. The threshold of net assets of more than $500,000 shall be subject to inflation.

SECTION VII. ENACTMENT
1. This bill, except for the parts that specify otherwise, shall become enacted immediately after passage

House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 5-2-0-2

Going with the minor one first.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »

I mean, I prefer my alternative proposal that I posted on the AFE board if it comes to that Tongue I will quote it here just in case that wasn't an official proposal

Quote from: Hypothetical Senate Amendment
1. CollegeBoard is hereby nationalized and placed under the control of the Atlasian Department of Education.

2. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) is hereby nationalized and placed under the control of the Atlasian Department of Education.

3. ACT, Inc. is hereby nationalized and placed under the control of the Atlasian Department of Education.

1. The Scholastic Assessment Test (ACT) shall be phased out by the end of the 2021/2022 school year.

2. The ACT test shall be phased out by the end of the end of the 2021/2022 school year.

3. The design and execution of the Advanced Placement program (AP) shall be phased out transferred to the several regions of Atlasia by the end of the 2021/2022 school year.

4. The Atlasian Department of Education shall work towards reducing the amount of public standardized tests supplied to public high schools.

5. Any private organization seeking to supply assessments to any public high school in the Republic of Atlasia must comply with the standards specified in Section IV of this bill in addition to any standards implemented by regional governments.

1. CollegeBoard, the Educational Testing Service and ACT, Inc. shall be consolidated into a new assessment provider referred to as the National Testing Organisation (NTO). This new organization shall be formed as a subsidiary under the Department of Education.

2. The NTO shall be responsible for producing assessments to the standards provided in Section IV of this bill.

3. Regions are permitted to opt-out of any assessments imposed on a national level in favour of regional assessments.

4. The NTO shall have a separate department for each region which shall produce assessments according to the policies of the regional governments.

5. The NTO shall operate on a budget of $800 million per year, subject to inflation.

1. All specified assessment providers must meet the standards described in this section:
 a. All specified assessment providers must incorporate 2 or more of the following modes of assessment into any assessment regime:
 ii. Research project.
 v. Artistic project.
 vii. Spoken exam.
 b. All specified assessment providers must have clear arrangements for giving special consideration to students facing the following circumstances:
 iii. Illness or injury.
 iv. Bereavement.

2. Schools must have clear arrangements to ensure access to assessments to students facing limiting circumstances.
 a. Eligible concerns:
 iii. Illness or injury.
 iv. Bereavement.
 b. Responsibilities:
 i. Schools must offer the opportunity to take an assessment at another date for students who are unable to take an assessment where there is a specific date.
 ii. Schools must inform the assessment provider if a student is eligible for special consideration as outlined in Part 1b.
 iii. Schools must respond to and record concerns issued by Students and Guardians regarding a need for special consideration.

3. All specified assessment providers must provide the following material free of charge:
 a. Past papers
 b. Sample papers
 c. Model answers
 d. Grading rubric

4. A sub-department shall be formed under each regional department which shall be responsible for ensuring that the assessments produced by the NTO meet the standards provided in this section.

5. The sub-departments created by Part 4 are required to publish a report by the 1st of November every year examining the assessments they have produced, the results and feedback received; and explaining measures the organisation has taken to ensure the standards covered in this section and any additional policies implemented by the relevant region have been adhered to.

i. The Department of Education shall be tasked with calculating a formula which prioritises schools with large class sizes, low funding per student and low achievement.

2. The price for a textbook or other learning material required to take an assessment shall be capped at $75 per item.

3. Students living below the Atlasian Federal Poverty line shall be eligible for a $200 grant to pay for books and supplies.

1. A tax of 2% per annum shall be levied on endowments supported by educational institutions who have net assets of more than $500,000 per student.
 a. The threshold of net assets of more than $500,000 shall be subject to inflation.

SECTION VII. ENACTMENT
1. This bill, except for the parts that specify otherwise, shall become enacted immediately after passage

Guess I will object with the intent of proposing my compromise option later.

Or alternatively since the two amendments are on the same question I wonder if we could have some sort of 3 way vote between the 2 amendments and NOTA? Do we need to waive the rules for that?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2020, 09:48:43 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2020, 03:14:02 PM by Ses »

To nationalize the various enterprises doing tests for college access and put them under the control and supervision of the Republic of Atlasia

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled

3. The Advanced Placement program (AP) shall be phased out by the end of the 2021/2022 school year.

ii. Research project.
 v. Artistic project.
 vii. Spoken exam.
 iii. Illness or injury.
 iv. Bereavement.

a. Eligible concerns:
 iii. Illness or injury.
 iv. Bereavement.
 b. Responsibilities:

a. Past papers
 b. Sample papers
 c. Model answers
 d. Grading rubric

SECTION VII. ENACTMENT

Amendment from: Sen. NC Yankee
Sponsor Feedback: Hostile

ADOPTED on 12 July by roll call vote (5-1)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2020, 09:49:38 PM »

Senators, The Question is on Adoption of the Amendment above.

The question is put forth for a 72 hour vote.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2020, 09:58:04 PM »

AYE

Tack what made you think that a post on AFE would count as an official amendment offered to the Senate?

That would put a tremendous burden on the chamber administrator to find said amendments for one. Tongue
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2020, 10:18:30 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2020, 10:50:57 PM by Esteemed Senator Jimmy7812 »

Aye
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2020, 10:50:07 PM »

Aye
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2020, 11:32:03 PM »

Aye.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2020, 11:38:34 PM »

This has the votes for adoption. 24 hours to vote or change your vote.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2020, 12:23:08 AM »

Aye
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2020, 05:17:41 AM »

AYE

Tack what made you think that a post on AFE would count as an official amendment offered to the Senate?

That would put a tremendous burden on the chamber administrator to find said amendments for one. Tongue

Nay

I did not consider it an official amendment of course but I did hope it'd get debated Tongue

Anyways I did bring it here as well eventually. Tbh I also forgot Sestak was the administrator for this bill
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2020, 11:58:26 AM »

AYE

Nay

I did not consider it an official amendment of course but I did hope it'd get debated Tongue

Anyways I did bring it here as well eventually. Tbh I also forgot Sestak was the administrator for this bill

Part of that is because Sestak and I had a long conversation about things and he wants us (Sestak, YE and I) to push each others threads forward, I just got the jump on him Saturday on some procedural calls.

If you are ever in doubt, check the OP and when it gets completed, the 25th Noticeboard.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2020, 03:04:55 PM »

All members having voted, the vote is closed.

NC Yankee          Yea
L. ThunderYea
TackNay
JimmyYea
YEYea
D. CentristYea

The amendment is ADOPTED by a vote of 5-1.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2020, 03:17:58 PM »

Tack, just letting you know, I am interpreting your amendment (after the passage of the Yankee amendment) to be adding back in the watered down II.3. If this interpretation is incorrect, please let me know.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2020, 03:19:02 PM »

Tack, just letting you know, I am interpreting your amendment (after the passage of the Yankee amendment) to be adding back in the watered down II.3. If this interpretation is incorrect, please let me know.

Yes the interpretation is correct. My hope was that we could vote both on my amendment and on Yankee's amendment at the same time, but I suppose not.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »

Quote from: CURRENT TEXT

3. The Atlasian Department of Education shall work towards reducing the amount of public standardized tests supplied to public high schools.

4. Any private organization seeking to supply assessments to any public high school in the Republic of Atlasia must comply with the standards specified in Section IV of this bill in addition to any standards implemented by regional governments.

ii. Research project.
 v. Artistic project.
 vii. Spoken exam.
 iii. Illness or injury.
 iv. Bereavement.

a. Eligible concerns:
 iii. Illness or injury.
 iv. Bereavement.
 b. Responsibilities:

a. Past papers
 b. Sample papers
 c. Model answers
 d. Grading rubric

SECTION VII. ENACTMENT
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2020, 03:40:16 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2020, 09:54:07 PM by Ses »

3. The design and execution of the Advanced Placement program (AP) shall be transferred to the several regions of Atlasia by the end of the 2021/2022 school year.

ii. Research project.
 v. Artistic project.
 vii. Spoken exam.
 iii. Illness or injury.
 iv. Bereavement.

a. Eligible concerns:
 iii. Illness or injury.
 iv. Bereavement.
 b. Responsibilities:

a. Past papers
 b. Sample papers
 c. Model answers
 d. Grading rubric

SECTION VII. ENACTMENT

Amendment from: Sen. Tack
Sponsor feedback: Origination

Amendment notes: This amendment REVERSES IN PART the Yankee amendment above.

OBJECTED to by Senator Yankee on 13 July.
REJECTED on 24 July by roll call vote (1-3)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2020, 03:40:36 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the above amendment.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2020, 09:02:00 PM »

AYE

Nay

Part of that is because Sestak and I had a long conversation about things and he wants us (Sestak, YE and I) to push each others threads forward, I just got the jump on him Saturday on some procedural calls.

If you are ever in doubt, check the OP and when it gets completed, the 25th Noticeboard.

Side note: I don’t think you ever actually gave me official authorization to do anything on your threads? So I haven’t been doing that as of yet.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2020, 11:20:45 AM »

AYE

Nay

Side note: I don’t think you ever actually gave me official authorization to do anything on your threads? So I haven’t been doing that as of yet.

I wasn't aware that was required. I will make an Administrative order similar to one I use to appoint the Deputy, but it will probably have to be tomorrow.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2020, 01:19:55 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I object to the amendment on the ground that it represents once again the seizure of private property. As I said in the thread on the other board, I am not comfortable with this concept of regionalism where the Federal gov't takes by force of fiat and then merely distributes the crumbs that it doesn't want to the regions.

In this country, it is an established principle that rights are natural and are not given, and as an extension from that the regions possess primary responsibilities, rights and powers, which are recognized by the constitution. They are not redistributed to them, they already have them.

Furthermore the willy nilly seizure of private property is disturbing. The proper way to do this is to let the regions form their own test and level the playing field so that other alternatives can compete and regions thus have the maximum number of options to select from. If you don't like monopolies and you don't like college board, the appropriate answer is to get your regulations right, not steal their stuff.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »

Objection noted; (a lot more than) 24 hours having already passed since the amendment's introduction, it is eligible to be put to an immediate vote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies