HB 25-02: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:06:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 25-02: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: HB 25-02: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (Debating)  (Read 3584 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 02:36:33 PM »

The amendment having been withdrawn, the question posed is closed without resolution as moot. Debate resumes.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 05:26:13 PM »

As my predecessor was the sponsor I motion to take sponsorship of this bill.

The amendment having been withdrawn, the question posed is closed without resolution as moot. Debate resumes.

Or not in this case as there has been jack said on this bill for well over a month. Gee, and the Southern Chamber gets grief for inactivity.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 05:36:58 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2020, 07:38:27 PM by Sev »

I'll motion for a final vote  The bill has no delineated positive aims and the President has indicated a lack of support. We are better off focusing on bills that can become law.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 07:33:01 PM »

Muad’dib is recognized as sponsor.

As for Sev’s motion, I think a faster way to get this off the floor would be to go to a final vote, and encourage him to modify his motion accordingly.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 08:57:35 PM »

I object to the motion to table and to a final vote.

I propose the following amendment to the bill

Quote from: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act Amendment Proposal
HOUSE BILL

Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

To repeal the misguided and ineffective assault weapons ban.

Be it enacted by both houses of the Congress of Atlasia

Findings
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. The Federal government recognizes the right to keep and bear arms in the republic of Atlasia is a fundamental right and therefore the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed.

All parts of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2020, 09:08:41 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2020, 09:30:45 PM by Sev »

This serves no genuine purpose. I object to the amendment.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2020, 09:18:38 PM »

It seems the honorable gentleman, finds rights and freedoms to be somewhat of a laughing matter.

May I enquiry of the honorable gentlemen what in particular he is objecting to?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2020, 09:20:16 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2020, 09:37:11 PM by Sev »

I object to your unnecessary amendment wasting this House's time. If the Rep. would do the bare minimum and offer some justification for his proposed changes, they may be more well-received.

No, this House does not find that assault weapons are a fundamental right. This House believes widespread assault weapons ownership is a public health hazard.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2020, 10:36:43 PM »

We're going to vote on Sev's motion now, because 1. He made his motion first, 2. This section of the House of the Representatives Rules and Procedures for Operation provides for this circumstance:

Quote from: Article 4: Debate
3.) When legislation has been on the floor for more than 72 hours, any representatives may call for a vote on said legislation... If the legislation has been on the floor for more than 168 hours, or debate has ceased for 24 hours, a simple majority shall be needed to pass cloture. The presiding officer shall then, at their sole discretion, either open votes on pending amendments followed by a final vote, or void pending amendments and move to an immediate final vote. If legislation has been on the floor for more than 168 hours and debate has ceased for at least 48 hours, a vote shall not be required to pass cloture.

This seems to clearly indicate that cloture motions supersede pending amendments. So, we're going to vote on the cloture motion, and consider the amendment afterwards regardless of whether the first motion passes or fails.

There are is a motion to invoke cloture and move to a final vote on the floor. A simple majority is required to pass this motion. You will have no more than 72 hours to vote, or no less than 24 hours from when the motion attains majority support or opposition.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2020, 10:36:56 PM »

Aye
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2020, 10:47:07 PM »

Aye
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2020, 10:50:13 PM »

Nay
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2020, 11:19:49 PM »

I object to your unnecessary amendment wasting this House's time. If the Rep. would do the bare minimum and offer some justification for his proposed changes, they may be more well-received.

No, this House does not find that assault weapons are a fundamental right. This House believes widespread assault weapons ownership is a public health hazard.

It's hardly an unnecessary amendment. It actually adds to this bill an explanatory reason for the repeal of these anti freedom and anti firearms bills. Rather than simply repeal without context. If the honorable representative is too blind to see that, I may not be able to help him with reading and comprehension classes. As this Bills sponsor it's my duty to see that it is in the best possible state before being put to a vote. Which is why I voted objected to your motion to table which you since changed to a motion for a final vote which I also objected to. Hardly wasting this House's time to do one's job by improving a bill. All Y'all have wasted more of the time of this House by doing nothing with this bill for a over a month.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2020, 11:35:03 PM »

It's hardly an unnecessary amendment. It actually adds to this bill an explanatory reason for the repeal of these anti freedom and anti firearms bills. Rather than simply repeal without context. If the honorable representative is too blind to see that, I may not be able to help him with reading and comprehension classes. As this Bills sponsor it's my duty to see that it is in the best possible state before being put to a vote. Which is why I voted objected to your motion to table which you since changed to a motion for a final vote which I also objected to. Hardly wasting this House's time to do one's job by improving a bill. All Y'all have wasted more of the time of this House by doing nothing with this bill for a over a month.

Your condescension is noted and highly appreciated.

What you are proposing is a bill even less likely to be signed than what is already on the table. Wasting the House's time trying to score cheap political points is unbecoming, and if you aren't going to attempt to contribute to making this bill something that can actually become law, I'm not sure what else you are doing besides delaying the inevitable.

I also object to your use of the term "all y'all". Representative, this pandemic has been a rough time for everyone. Speaker Elcaspar got a job and became preoccupied, a problem which Ted Bessell has kindly alleviated. I'll note that Elcaspar's opponent for the Speaker seat also fell inactive, in fact, you occupy his seat, and we had another Representative resign due to inactivity. It sucks, but "sht" happens. Regardless of these bumps in the road, many of us have worked hard to keep debate and legislation flowing in this chamber. I'd suggest showing just a tad more respect for your colleagues if you want to get through to them.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 01:17:50 AM »

Representative, this pandemic has been a rough time for everyone.
I'll quote the honorable gentleman to himself.
Your condescension is noted and highly appreciated.

There is no shame in resigning a position, that one, due to circumstances beyond one's control, can no longer perform to the best of their ability. In fact that is the honorable thing to do. Would you not agree?

Now if this bill has been such a waste of time for this house why did the honorable Representative not make this motion for a final vote at anytime during the entirety of the last month before I became sponsor? Mr. Deputy Speaker, If the honorable gentleman who clearly believes that this shouldn't even be on the floor of the house for discussion, didn't have the wherewithal to do this in the last month. Now sees that I am the sponsor motions to table then edits his post to change it to a motion for a final vote. I don't see why doing so now, trumps my efforts to improve a bill that I am currently the Sponsor of. A bill, the honorable representative, has only now. Now that I've replaced my predecessor as sponsor. Only now does the honorable gentleman remember that this bill is "wasting this House's time". One post, Mr. Deputy Speaker. One post. That was all the honorable gentleman needed to do in the last month in this thread. Might the honorable representative, to use his own words, done... He'd not have to put up with me trying to serve my nation by trying to improve this freedom bill.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2020, 01:28:37 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2020, 01:31:38 AM by Sev »

Now sees that I am the sponsor motions to table then edits his post to change it to a motion for a final vote. I don't see why doing so now, trumps my efforts to improve a bill that I am currently the Sponsor of.

Please spare the crocodile tears. I amended my post at the encouragement of the very Speaker you are addressing. I've been active in this discussion and worked to make this a bill that can actually be signed. And though my efforts were withdrawn, it was a rookie mistake on my part that I admitted and owned up to. You are not working to make this bill something that will become law and in doing so, you do a disservice to your constituents. Though no one voted you into this office, I expect the public still has reasonable expectations for you to act in good faith. Your own rookie mistakes can be excused, but only if you take responsibility for them.

I made a mistake. However, my attempt was to progress this legislation into something passable. You are not working in good faith, and I am willing to overlook that as you are a newer member. Overlooking this, I still have to overlook the personal attacks you have flung. Again, I am willing to do this. All I ask is that you make a simple attempt to work in good faith with your colleagues. Rep. Encke was someone I didn't always agree with, but I could trust he was using his best judgment. The House is a chamber of serious discussion, not personal attacks or cheap political points.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2020, 01:56:16 AM »

I respect both of you guys a lot, but I think you're taking this too seriously. This is a minor procedural vote that, at most, delays or accelerates a final vote by a day. Nothing that's being discussed here is going to change the substance of the bill enough to move votes. It's not worth pouring blood/sweat/tears into.

Also, Muad'dib, your amendment is still going to be considered whether we invoke cloture or not. So Sev's motion isn't "trumping" yours -- just happening first.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2020, 08:32:33 PM »

Aye on cloture.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2020, 12:53:21 AM »

Nay on cloture.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2020, 04:26:03 PM »

Aye re: cloture
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2020, 07:57:21 PM »

WE need to repeal these unconstitutional laws preventing our citizens from getting guns! I fully support the complete repeal of all laws preventing the ownership of guns and ammo.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2020, 09:05:18 PM »

WE need to repeal these unconstitutional laws preventing our citizens from getting guns! I fully support the complete repeal of all laws preventing the ownership of guns and ammo.

The AWB is entirely constitutional and in the public interest. Yes generally law-abiding citizens should be able to have guns, but that does not extend to assault weapons. I am proud to have signed the AWB and therefore prevent mass shootings and save lives. Taking the idea of gun rights to the absolute extreme, as with most things, is a bad idea and is why Atlasia has much worse gun violence issues than other developed countries.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2020, 10:01:59 PM »

The AWB is entirely constitutional and in the public interest. Yes generally law-abiding citizens should be able to have guns, but that does not extend to assault weapons. I am proud to have signed the AWB and therefore prevent mass shootings and save lives. Taking the idea of gun rights to the absolute extreme, as with most things, is a bad idea and is why Atlasia has much worse gun violence issues than other developed countries.

Yes, we get it. You hate guns and you hate people you don't like having rights.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2020, 10:14:29 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2020, 05:23:14 PM by President Pericles »

Yes, we get it. You hate guns and you hate people you don't like having rights.

I want to stop more tragic gun violence deaths so I pragmatically figure out based on evidence the problem's causes and solutions.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2020, 10:19:45 PM »

Voting on the cloture motion is closed.

Ayes:
gracile
Razze
SevenEleven
Ted Bessell

Nays:
Joseph Cao
Muad'dib

Not Voting:
Elcaspar
HCP
Winfield

By a vote of 4-2-0-3, the motion passes and debate is ended.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies