HB 25-02: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:44:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 25-02: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: HB 25-02: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (Debating)  (Read 3607 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2020, 10:23:53 PM »

It is now in order to consider pending amendments. We shall consider the amendment proposed by Representative Muad'dib.

Quote from: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act Amendment Proposal
HOUSE BILL

Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

To repeal the misguided and ineffective assault weapons ban.

Be it enacted by both houses of the Congress of Atlasia

Findings
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. The Federal government recognizes the right to keep and bear arms in the republic of Atlasia is a fundamental right and therefore the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed.

All parts of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed.

A vote is now open on the adoption of this amendment. Representatives shall have 72 hours to vote, or 24 hours from whenever the amendment attains majority support or opposition.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2020, 10:24:15 PM »

Nay
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2020, 11:35:48 PM »

Nay
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2020, 03:41:20 PM »

WE need to repeal these unconstitutional laws preventing our citizens from getting guns! I fully support the complete repeal of all laws preventing the ownership of guns and ammo.

The AWB is entirely constitutional and in the public interest. Yes generally law-abiding citizens should be able to have guns, but that does not extend to assault weapons. I am proud to have signed the AWB and therefore prevent mass shootings and save lives. Taking the idea of gun rights to the absolute extreme, as with most things, is a bad idea and is why Atlasia has much worse gun violence issues than other developed countries.

Yes, we get it. You hate guns and you hate people you don't like having rights.

I am want to stop more tragic gun violence deaths so I pragmatically figure out based on evidence the problem's causes and solutions.
A assault weapon ban wouldn't impact on gun violence unless you suggest banning all guns. 
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2020, 03:44:00 PM »

WE need to repeal these unconstitutional laws preventing our citizens from getting guns! I fully support the complete repeal of all laws preventing the ownership of guns and ammo.

The AWB is entirely constitutional and in the public interest. Yes generally law-abiding citizens should be able to have guns, but that does not extend to assault weapons. I am proud to have signed the AWB and therefore prevent mass shootings and save lives. Taking the idea of gun rights to the absolute extreme, as with most things, is a bad idea and is why Atlasia has much worse gun violence issues than other developed countries.

I am want to stop more tragic gun violence deaths so I pragmatically figure out based on evidence the problem's causes and solutions.
A assault weapon ban wouldn't impact on gun violence unless you suggest banning all guns. 

Louis Klarevas is a research professor at Columbia University Teachers College and the author of Rampage Nation, which examines American mass shootings and efforts to prevent the killings. His research looked at mass shootings resulting in six or more deaths, which he refers to as massacres, because they are “the most dangerous and threatening to American public safety.”

He found that deaths in such high-fatality mass shootings dropped by 25 percent under the ban. Massacre deaths involving assault weapons fell by 40 percent, fatalities involving both assault weapons and high-capacity magazines fell by 54 percent. After the ban lapsed, mass shootings and related deaths surged. “We know that during the federal assault weapon ban, we saw some significant reductions in high-fatality mass shootings compared to the decade before the ban and the decade after it expired,” he said.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2020, 04:01:45 PM »

Louis Klarevas is a research professor at Columbia University Teachers College and the author of Rampage Nation, which examines American mass shootings and efforts to prevent the killings. His research looked at mass shootings resulting in six or more deaths, which he refers to as massacres, because they are “the most dangerous and threatening to American public safety.”

He found that deaths in such high-fatality mass shootings dropped by 25 percent under the ban. Massacre deaths involving assault weapons fell by 40 percent, fatalities involving both assault weapons and high-capacity magazines fell by 54 percent. After the ban lapsed, mass shootings and related deaths surged. “We know that during the federal assault weapon ban, we saw some significant reductions in high-fatality mass shootings compared to the decade before the ban and the decade after it expired,” he said.
We can't enforce all of it as well, as shown by Columbine, and we should have the right to bear arms, and I support extensive background checks and the ending of loopholes.

My proof

Source: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2582989

"In the aggregate, stronger gun policies were associated with decreased rates of firearm homicide, even after adjusting for demographic and sociologic factors. Laws that strengthen background checks and permit-to-purchase seemed to decrease firearm homicide rates. Specific laws directed at firearm trafficking, improving child safety, or the banning of military-style assault weapons were not associated with changes in firearm homicide rates. The evidence for laws restricting guns in public places and leniency in gun carrying was mixed."
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »

Guys, we have a Congressional Discussion Thread for this Tongue
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2020, 04:27:17 PM »

Seems pretty clear your vote on the cloture motion was a mistake.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2020, 09:18:12 PM »

Aye
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2020, 10:38:07 PM »

Aye.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2020, 01:42:24 AM »

Quote from: Deputy Speraker Ted Bessell
It is now in order to consider pending amendments. We shall consider the amendment proposed by Representative Muad'dib.

Quote from: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act Amendment Proposal
HOUSE BILL

Findings
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. The Federal government recognizes the right to keep and bear arms in the republic of Atlasia is a fundamental right and therefore the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed.

All parts of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed.

A vote is now open on the adoption of this amendment. Representatives shall have 72 hours to vote, or 24 hours from whenever the amendment attains majority support or opposition.

Aye
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2020, 03:25:05 AM »

it’s more common now just to debate it in the thread itself, I guess you’ve been gone for awhile
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2020, 04:56:20 AM »

it’s more common now just to debate it in the thread itself, I guess you’ve been gone for awhile

I hope a future President MB will see the value of this Freedom bill.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2020, 10:50:55 PM »

Alright. Voting on the amendment closed.

Ayes:
gracile
Joseph Cao
Muad'dib

Nays:
SevenEleven
TedBessell

Not Voting:
Elcaspar
HCP
Razze
Winfield

By a vote of 3-2-0-4, the amendment is adopted.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2020, 10:54:03 PM »

HOUSE BILL

Findings

This is the final text of the bill. A final vote is now open on this legislation. Representatives will have 72 hours to vote, or 24 hours from whenever the bill attains majority support or opposition. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain.

Nay.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2020, 11:36:28 PM »

Nay.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2020, 11:56:50 PM »

Aye.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2020, 01:15:05 AM »

Aye
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2020, 01:28:13 AM »

AYE
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2020, 11:33:52 AM »

AYE
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2020, 11:43:19 AM »

To be honest I am surprised this will pass the House. I expect President Pericles to veto this so it really comes down to whether there is a successful override vote or not.

For what is worth, if you feel this is an unconstitutional piece of legislation, you are always able to sue to the Supreme Court.

There is a direct and recent precedent regarding firearms in Atlas Conservative Party v. Region of Lincoln (2020), though the Lincoln bill was more restrictive than the federal one and was struck down because it was poorly written, not necesarily because of constitutionality itself.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=358889.25
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2020, 01:15:55 PM »

Nay
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2020, 11:46:25 AM »

Aye
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2020, 01:03:45 PM »

Nay
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2020, 01:11:17 PM »

Also why is there no link to the original bill in this thread. Seems vital information to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies