Do you believe America is the Greatest Nation on earth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:14:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you believe America is the Greatest Nation on earth
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Vote
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Do you believe America is the Greatest Nation on earth  (Read 2728 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 11:24:24 AM »

Rome would be my other place to live, English is a universal language in Italy due to Vatican. Australia would be nice. If I hit the jackpot
Escape Pod Zero
trumphacker

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »

No. Canada is.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »

The founding of America was the most important beginning of a country in the history of the world, and the greatest and most paradigm shifting. Now, statistically, we are not the greatest nation on earth by most measures. But we can be, and there's nowhere else I'd rather live.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2020, 11:13:31 PM »

It’s complicated, but few on either side of the question like to admit that.

We continue to serve as a powerful symbol internationally of liberalism and democratic government. We continue to maintain a high standard of living and export a lot of valuable things to the world (from scientific research to popular music).

That said, our democracy is increasingly weakened, we fail in some key metrics (education, healthcare), and we continue to struggle with our dark history on race.

We’re a great country, but realistically not the greatest.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2020, 11:25:59 PM »

I don't ascribe to such jingoism. Such is the height of arrogance.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2020, 05:40:29 AM »

Italy and Australia are the 2nd and 3rd best due to fact its warm and they both speak English due to Australia is an English country and Italy speaks English due to Vatican
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2020, 06:48:49 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2020, 07:27:32 AM by Colin Kaepernick has the upper hand now »

The fact that Old School Republican had to further define "at what" the USA is supposed to be the greatest nation after having been asked so by another poster shows how meaningless the question really is. The statement "America (you can insert any other nation here as well) is the greatest country in the world" is based on emotion and sentiment and not on objective empirical evidence.

There are probably numerous criteria how to measure the "greatness of a country" (status of civil liberties, level of corruption, number of incarcerated journalists, GDP, GDP per capita, literacy rate, life expectancy, suicide rate, crime rate and on and on) but is highly unlikely that any single country is ranked 1st in all of them across the board.

My often used standard answer to the question is "Norway is the greatest country in the world" and that is based on the fact that Norway usually ranks 1st in the Human Development Index (HDI), with Freedom House and in the Democracy Index. But neither does Norway rank 1st in all surveys either nor would it retain the spot if the criteria were changed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2020, 07:23:32 AM »

if you want to shoot guns, smoke pot and get gay married, there ain't no place else on Earth that makes it as easy as it is in America to do those things.  Of course if you don't care about weed, pew pews and homos and you're lazy, dumb or sick, America is going to be worse than a lot of other places (still in the top third though).  It, obviously, depends on what you as an individual value.  For many many many people, the US is the best place, you can tell because we've got more foreigners than anywhere else on the planet, ever.  And we've been number one at it basically since our creation.  That doesn't mean we're number 1 for everyone.  Some people have a different set of criteria.  And that's fine.  I hope they are happy wherever they end up.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2020, 07:47:44 AM »

Rome would be my other place to live, English is a universal language in Italy due to Vatican. Australia would be nice. If I hit the jackpot

"English is a universal language in Italy due to Vatican"

I... I... I can't
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2020, 07:47:52 AM »

Italy and Australia are the 2nd and 3rd best due to fact its warm and they both speak English due to Australia is an English country and Italy speaks English due to Vatican

Italy is one of the worst countries in Europe for use of English as a second language.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2020, 07:48:16 AM »

Again???
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2020, 07:48:56 AM »

Italy is one of the worst countries in Europe for use of English as a second language.

Yeah and even the best ones of course do not have English as a "universal" language.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2020, 05:37:44 PM »

Yeah and even the best ones of course do not have English as a "universal" language.

Iceland disagrees.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »

Iceland disagrees.

Mh? I don't know Iceland much. English is spoken universally there?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2020, 01:09:06 PM »

Canada: Also known as America, but better Tongue
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2020, 02:18:26 PM »

Greatest at what lol? Saturated fat consumption?
Nah, plenty of countries consume more and have lower obesity rates.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2020, 01:13:44 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 01:17:30 AM by Alben Barkley »

It’s not the greatest country in the world. That’s my answer…

Sharon, the NEA is a loser. Yeah, it accounts for a penny out of our paycheck, but he gets to hit you with it anytime he wants. It doesn’t cost money, it costs votes. It costs airtime and column inches. You know why people don’t like liberals? Because they lose. If liberals are so f—king smart, how come they lose so goddamn always?

And with a straight face, you’re gonna tell students that America is so star-spangled awesome that we’re the only ones in the world who have freedom? Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom. The UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Australia, Belgium has freedom! So, 207 sovereign states in the world, like 180 of them have freedom.

And yeah, you… sorority girl. Just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there’s some things you should know. One of them is: there’s absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we’re the greatest country in the world. We’re 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, 3rd in median household income, number 4 in labor force and number 4 in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real and defense spending, where we spend more than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of whom are allies. Now, none of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are, without a doubt, a member of the worst period generation period ever period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don’t know what the f—k you’re talking about! Yosemite?!

It sure used to be… We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reason. We passed laws, struck down laws, for moral reason. We waged wars on poverty, not on poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were and we never beat our chest. We built great, big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases and we cultivated the world’s greatest artists AND the world’s greatest economy. We reached for the stars, acted like men. We aspired to intelligence, we didn’t belittle it. It didn’t make us feel inferior. We didn’t identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election and we didn’t scare so easy. We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed… by great men, men who were revered. First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2020, 01:29:06 AM »

Is Greatest a measure of morality or of power?

Besides it's baffling to see OSR use 'spreading freedom' as a benchmark; something the US has an absolutely awful record when you patch in the on-going support for strongmen, the rush to sell arms & the undermining of credible international agreements.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2020, 01:30:19 AM »

It’s meaningless to speak in these sorts of terms. Apart from the fact that it’s completely subjective, what criteria should we even be using? America is pretty good in some ways, and seriously flawed in others... like most countries. For every country I’ve spent a decent amount of time in, I can name multiple ways in which I prefer America, and at least several in which the other country is better, in my opinion.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2020, 11:38:10 AM »

Each country has its strength and weakness.
America has made great things and also bad things.
I'm personnaly fed up with affirmations saying America is the greatest nation on Earth on the one hand and the ugliest, nastiest nation on Earth all time.
I consider the Fourth July 2020 was the weirdest I've ever seen. On Twitter there ware no celebration and the country is divided and humiliated.
America at the end of 2020 should be comparated to France after WWII. It'll take a decede at least to repair what went wrong, transform itself and rebuild it image.
Every nation, including African nation, has lived a very bad period in their history. There's been no greatest nation on Earth, powerful maybe.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2020, 03:43:49 PM »

Probably at some point but over the last ~20 years, we’ve really fallen behind our peer nations and I don’t know if we’ll ever be able to get out of the hole.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2020, 04:36:21 PM »

No. I think America is great, but I think other countries are great, too. I don't think that all countries are great, but nor do I think there is a country that is clearly the greatest.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2020, 06:17:20 PM »

No, because we don't have the greatest Supreme Court in the world.

For that matter, we have a lousy Congress and an even worse POTUS right now.
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2020, 01:07:19 AM »

Again???

One does not question the infinite wisdom of OC.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2020, 01:46:32 AM »

By some metrics it is, but others it very much isn't. The whole question is utterly uninteresting, and spending a lot of time thinking/arguing about it is masturbatory behavior.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies