What happens if Trump/Biden catches COVID
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:16:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What happens if Trump/Biden catches COVID
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What happens if Trump/Biden catches COVID  (Read 1035 times)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2020, 10:07:06 PM »

And they are too sick to campaign?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2020, 10:18:48 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

Eh he continues to let Trump dig his own grave and people feel bad for him and give him a pass for not campaigning. Maybe he pledges his VP to replace him as soon as he is elected to office. He sends out surrogates to campaign for him. Some of these might be congressional canidates running for house and/or senate in key states.

If Trump catches it Rs will argue Ds feel no sympathy for Trump, and it would certainly put Ds in a  difficult place of stillattacking him, with still saying they hope he feels better without being too friendly.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »

Trump will likely spread it to his wife and the rest of his family.  The other won't. 
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 10:18:42 PM »

Then he goes to the hospital
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 10:26:10 PM »

There will be more pressure on Pence or Biden's running mate.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 10:34:38 PM »

As long as Trump doesn't literally die from it by November 3, he'll be the Republican nominee.

Biden would likely have his running mate take over.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 10:40:54 PM »

With the news of Kimberly Guilfoyle, this just became even more likely.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 10:40:54 PM »

You know, you can catch the virus but not come down with sympto.s that's why Trump is taking the pills in case he gets it. But, we will never know if the Prez or Veep has it or not
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 11:28:27 PM »

Biden is taking the appropriate precautions-i.e. wearing a mask, social distancing, minimizing unnecessary travels. Of course, these are not fool-proof, but I feel a lot more confident about him avoiding it, then I do about Trump. Trump's obstinate refusal to wear a mask or to socially distance will bite him in the behind, if it hasn't already.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 11:37:35 PM »

If that happens, they're likely going to die.

Both are 75+ years old, and not in perfect health already. That's practically a death sentence if either (or both) of them end up with COVID.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 12:44:16 AM »

Both are 75+ years old, and not in perfect health already. That's practically a death sentence if either (or both) of them end up with COVID.

Not to mention Trump is obese.

Also age is no longer a risk factor for COVID, as the age range of 18-29 year olds dying is now the same as 65+.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 12:47:23 AM »

Also either candidate testing positive for COVID is going to be a sympathy voter's dream. It'll give them probably a 1% boost chance of winning.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 12:53:25 AM »

Trump goes to a rally, tells everyone about the glories of herd immunity, and offers to cough on anyone who wants to come up on stage. He then does a reverse-faith-healing and coughs on everyone's face who then immediately go to the cameras to express how excited they are that they are all now immune from the disease and how generous Trump was for saving them from the horrors of COVID.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 12:56:49 AM »

Trump goes to a rally, tells everyone about the glories of herd immunity, and offers to cough on anyone who wants to come up on stage. He then does a reverse-faith-healing and coughs on everyone's face who then immediately go to the cameras to express how excited they are that they are all now immune from the disease and how generous Trump was for saving them from the horrors of COVID.

I can see this happening in early August.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 01:07:04 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2020, 01:13:37 AM by brucejoel99 »

Actually, as far as we've been made aware by medical records, Biden is pretty healthy aside from the age risk factor. IIRC the only major thing he's ever really suffered from are 2 brain aneurysms, but he was successfully treated for those over 30 years ago now. In any event, he's presumably in a much better position to recover from COVID if he were to get it compared to Trump, given the latter's other risk factors: obesity & (likely case of) heart disease.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 01:33:43 AM »

The prospect of Trump getting COVID and likely dying in office (failing to survive his term for any reason) is frankly terrifying as it will solidify him as the party's martyr and the voters will never have the chance to end his cult's legitimacy, not to mention the endless conspiracy theories and violence that will likely result.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 05:09:31 AM »

I really hope Trump doesn't get it. Either he dies and becomes a martyr, and Pence takes over, or he survives and gets sympathy votes.

I really hope Biden doesn't get it, because I want him to survive to the election.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 05:19:36 AM »

Sounds crazy, but I think either one would get a polling bump out of sympathy. Trump more so because he's much lower in the polls than Joe Biden.

It's impossible to predict what would happen from a medical standpoint. Both would be severely at risk due to age. Trump might be more endangered because he's obese and I assume Joe Biden is physically healthier.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 07:07:29 AM »

What happens if the candidate dies a day before the election?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2020, 07:11:30 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2020, 07:18:44 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

The Party simply ("simply") picks a new candidate.  

Source: howstuffworks

*Whoops, misread your post.  A Mel-Carnahan-type thingy?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2020, 07:27:28 AM »

*Whoops, misread your post.  A Mel-Carnahan-type thingy?

I'm pretty sure the party would just pick a person to receive electoral votes a deceased candidate would've received. When VP John S. Sherman died less than a month before the 1912 election, too late for him to be replaced on the ballot, the RNC picked Nicolas M. Butler to receive electoral votes Sherman would've received. A running-mate would be the most obvious choice to "replace" a presidential nominee.

It would still be unclear how some states' faithless elector laws would play out under this scenario. Although there is a historical precedent about electoral votes casted for a dead candidate being not valid, even if pledged (Horace Greeley).
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2020, 07:54:19 AM »

I'm pretty sure the party would just pick a person to receive electoral votes a deceased candidate would've received. When VP John S. Sherman died less than a month before the 1912 election, too late for him to be replaced on the ballot, the RNC picked Nicolas M. Butler to receive electoral votes Sherman would've received. A running-mate would be the most obvious choice to "replace" a presidential nominee.

It would still be unclear how some states' faithless elector laws would play out under this scenario. Although there is a historical precedent about electoral votes casted for a dead candidate being not valid, even if pledged (Horace Greeley).
Besides the running partner designated as a successor in case picking anyone else wouldn’t just make the election redundant as a process?

More interesting Trump dies a day before, Pence dies three days after and it’s a trump victory. Pelosi is the president. Will the RNC hold a snap convention?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 10:46:03 AM »

If Trump catches it, Biden will show personal greatness and express his sympathy and best wishes for Trump's recovery, despite "deep disagreements over everything".

If Biden catches it, I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Trump starts making distasteful comments or tweets. Maybe he'd tweet or say "Sleepy Joe is weak since he needed to be hospitalized for a China virus that actually less than 1% of people are getting trouble from. Can you imagine him taking on President Xi? We don't need a weak leader". Or "Sleepy Joe is back in his bunker for so called home quarantine despite wearing a mask. Maybe he lied about having the virus to win sympathy points? I don't know, but a lot of people are saying that." Would actually be the lowest point in Mr. Trump's endless list of embarrassments. Am I alone here to believe he might actually sink that low and attack Biden in hospital or home quarantine?

Anything else is pure speculation. Might get the affected candidate some extrapoints in the polls. I dunno whether and how they would get over it physically. I don't want to speculate about dying or so.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 12:43:58 PM »

Besides the running partner designated as a successor in case picking anyone else wouldn’t just make the election redundant as a process?

More interesting Trump dies a day before, Pence dies three days after and it’s a trump victory. Pelosi is the president. Will the RNC hold a snap convention?

That's a very interesting situation, since its' filled with legal questions.

On one hand one can assume that electors' failure to chose a President and a Vice President would mean there's no qualified person to assume the office come January 20, meaning Pelosi would continue on as the Acting President. (Important note here: according to the law only the Vice President can succeed to the office. Any other person from the line of succession would only "act" as President, with the office itself being vacant).

On the other hand if no one gets the majority, the House picks the President-elect from up to three most voted candidates in the electoral college (while Senate picks the Vice President-elect from two top vote recipients). So let's say Republican electors just vote whomever they want, and we'll have the House picking between Biden and two other people. I guess only if that fails to produce the winner, would the Speaker remain on as Acting President.

I assume the RNC would be very quick to pick a replacement nominee to avoid this. A snap convention would have to be really a snap one, and given how long and messy it could turn out, I guess the RNC just would nominate successors.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »

It doesn't seem likely that Biden catches COVID given he is taking every possible precaution against it.

On the other hand, Trump's son's girlfriend just got the disease.  Decent chance his son now has it, even if symptomless.  And Trump is determined to reject every single piece of advice from doctors.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies