Any counties that voted Walter Mondale and have voted Republican since?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:15:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Any counties that voted Walter Mondale and have voted Republican since?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any counties that voted Walter Mondale and have voted Republican since?  (Read 1062 times)
adamevans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2020, 08:58:07 PM »
« edited: July 03, 2020, 10:16:05 PM by adamevans »

I was on a quest to find counties that voted for candidates that were blown out/lost, and yet, have voted for the opposing party of that candidate in every election since. I found a few for John Kerry, Al Gore (largely in the South) and Michael Dukakis (a few in Iowa), but I am trying to find at least one for Walter Mondale. Does anyone know of at least one?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 09:41:52 PM »

I was on a quest to find counties that voted for candidates that were blown out/lost, and yet, have voted for the opposing party of that candidate since. I found a few for John Kerry, Al Gore (largely in the South) and Michael Dukakis (a few in Iowa), but I am trying to find at least one for Walter Mondale. Does anyone know of at least one?

Colbert, Jackson, and Lawrence Counties in North Alabama would fit into the category which you seek. Mondale won these counties over Reagan 52-45%, 52-46%, and 51-47%. Thirty-two years later, Trump crushed Hillary Clinton in these counties, 67-29%, 79-18%, and 73-24% respectively. These three counties were once New Deal Democratic strongholds. During the 1960s and early 1970s, they temporarily broke away from Democrats.

In 1964, for example, they were among the counties that did not vote for Barry Goldwater; in 1968, they voted by landslide margins for native son George Wallace; and in 1972, they went by landslides for Richard Nixon over George McGovern. Jimmy Carter gained them back in 1976, and they did not vote Republican again until George W. Bush won them against John Kerry in 2004. Since then, they have become as Republican as the rest of rural Alabama.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 09:48:35 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2020, 09:52:17 PM by Calthrina950 »

Actually, it seems like you were looking for counties that last voted Democratic in 1984 for Mondale. But I'll leave my post standing, since it provides examples of Mondale counties that are now heavily Republican.
adamevans
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 02:26:28 AM »

Actually, it seems like you were looking for counties that last voted Democratic in 1984 for Mondale. But I'll leave my post standing, since it provides examples of Mondale counties that are now heavily Republican.

Yeah, thanks for the help though. I did find a county that nearly fit the bill I was looking for, Lincoln County, Tennessee. It's a Mondale County that's voted Republican in every election since 1984 except for Bill Clinton in 1992.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 11:36:13 AM »

There were only seven counties that flipped to Republicans in 1988:

-Bibb County, GA
-Taylor County, GA
-Telfair County, GA
-Mitchell County, GA
-Lincoln County, TN
-Hardeman County, TN
-Edgefield County, SC

All of these voted for Clinton in 1992. Edgefield (which, fun fact, was home to both Ben Tillman and Strom Thurmond) and Lincoln come the closest to your criteria, having only voted for Clinton in 1992; the others all voted Democratic at least one more time after 1992.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies