Crumbling Reich: A Weimar Republic Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:27:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Crumbling Reich: A Weimar Republic Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19]
Author Topic: Crumbling Reich: A Weimar Republic Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 18498 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: October 09, 2020, 10:55:09 AM »
« edited: October 09, 2020, 11:24:55 AM by GoTfan »

Statement of the Social Democratic Party

"We Social Democrats will not recognise this false government.

We call a general strike until this farce is over."

Address by Otto Braun at a Kundgebung für Demokratie(Rally for Democracy)

"Never before has it been more apparent that the Vice-Chancellor is only concerned with his own power, and merely uses the monarchy as a pretense for increasing it.

It will not be said that we stood watch as tyranny overtook Germany. Never, never, and never again.We will not lend an ounce of legitimacy to this false Chancellor, who seeks nothing more than power for power's sake.

To this end, I am calling a general strike against the false Chancellor's government. No SPD Deputy will be taking their seat in the Reichstag. So SPD worker will be taking his post at a factory. We call on our allies from all over the country to do the same, and unite in the same show of strength that defeated the Kapp Putsch.

Rest assured Herr Hugenberg, we will not go quietly.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #451 on: October 09, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »

The KPD, in its capacity as the defender of the Republican Left, is calling for a general strike against the illegal Hugenberg coup. We will have a full statement out shortly.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #452 on: October 09, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »

Von Papen

I call on the German people to reject the illegal seizure of power by the supposed Chancellor.

I join with the KDP and SDP in calling for a general strike

I ask for the League of Nations to intervene, and remove Alfred Hugenberg from the position he illegally occupies as Chancellor.
RGM2609
« Reply #453 on: October 09, 2020, 03:28:56 PM »

The first address of Chancellor Alfred Hugenberg to the German people

My fellow Patriots,

It is truly an honor to address you as the Chancellor of the Republic and it humbles me that President Hindenburg has decided that I am the best choice in these difficult times. As Chancellor of the Republic, I have only one overreaching goal - to be the last Chancellor of this Republic. In accordance to our very great President, we have decided to use Article 48 to call for the Constitutional Convention that the corrupt Reichstag has rejected in defiance of the will of the people. Your Ministry is going to follow through with the choice of the people and bring back the Monarchy despite all attempts by the far-left radicals and corrupt conservatives to prevent us from doing so.

I must underline once again how unfortunate it is for general strikes that are dangerous for the fragile economy and the livelihoods of millions of Germans to be used on a regular basis by irrational political parties who are only hungry for power. How else could Franz von Papen side with Ernst Thalmann, if not from overwhelming desire for power? These strikes are a dirty political tool, in which workers who have been manipulated are being used by power hungry politicians and by the scared Republican establishment. However, this government shall not take any measures against this strike as long as it is conducted peacefully, as I hope the workers will soon realize that they have been lied to by the elites and the Bolsheviks.

But I must make it clear that we will not allow violence to come back on our streets. I warn all who protest, do not cause disruption and disorder in the cities or the government will fulfill its duty to protect the nation from malevolent forces. And I say to all those afraid for their life in this unstable climate - the government will act responsibly and protect you. We will also take all necessary measures to prevent another economic collapse caused by Bolshevik activities aided by useful idiots such as Franz von Papen.

I have already been hard at work, trying to find the best possible Ministers and I have been drafting plans to solve our current troubles. When everyone is acting out, wanting more power for themselves, the Hugenberg Government will act responsibly and with great care, as there is nothing more important to us than the German nation and spirit.

My fellow Patriots,

This Government will not abandon you or ignore your will. We will ensure stability at home while we will implement the Monarchy you voted for. Only then, will the German Eagle rise again.

Thank you.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #454 on: October 09, 2020, 03:38:23 PM »

Von Papen

I supported, and still support a return of the monarchy. However, what you are doing is dangerous. The return of the monarchy was rejected by the Reichstag. What you need to do, instead of using your Article 48 powers, is call the Reichstag back into session.

To the SPD and KPD:

Since it is rather clear your strikes will not work, I call on you to cancel them. I did support them, this is true, but this is when I thought they would work. It is clear to me that the supposed Chancellor will ignore them, and as such, I ask that you cancel them.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #455 on: October 09, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »

"It is indeed strange to hear Alfred Hugenbergof all people decry the elite when he himself is a wealthy industrialist who used his fortune to buy up the majority of the nation's media.

It is necessary the strike goes ahead. The practical purposes matter not. We must show the world that not all of us are like him."
RGM2609
« Reply #456 on: October 09, 2020, 04:21:46 PM »

Alfred Hugenberg publicly calls for the KPD and SPD to stop their supporters from rioting in major cities or the government will have to reinstate order on its own, and instead resume peaceful protests.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #457 on: October 09, 2020, 04:22:04 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2020, 06:40:17 PM by KaiserDave »

The Reich

Wikimedia Commons

GENERAL STRIKE: COUNTRY IN CHAOS

In the aftermath of the shocking events in Neudeck, the country has been brought to a halt by a general strike. All unions loyal to the SPD and KPD have begun a general strike to bring down the Hugenberg Ministry they view as illegitimate. Rail cars sit useless at rail hubs, carts of coal sit idly near depots, ships creak beside empty docks, and packs full of cold beef are left to rot. In the streets, the national flag is waved with the red one as workers sing the song of the United Front. Protests and riots are in every major city. The Reich Police, increasingly empowered by Herr Hugenberg are setting up checkpoints armed with rifles, but the protests persist. Catholic Trade Unions have yet to join the strike, but Adam Stegerwald is rumored to be considering joining the strike action.

The Communists and Social Democrats are demanding Hugenberg be removed and elections be held. Liberals demand the Reichstag be reconvened, even moderate conservatives are asking Hugenberg to at the very least let the Reichstag deliberate. Many in the officer corp have hesitated to back the government, believing that General von Schleicher is the legitimate Chancellor. Von Schleicher is still missing. Paul von Lettow Vorbeck, leader of the VU declared that, "the Chancellor cannot act without the Reichstag or the army, or else he will plunge this great country into the dark pits of violent despotism."

Meanwhile, there is no word from Neudeck, beyond a short decree using Article 48 to schedule a constitutional convention for late November.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #458 on: October 10, 2020, 12:30:14 AM »

A Speech from Ernst Thalmann
Courtesy of Wikimedia
Brothers, Sisters, Comrades, to the entire German Volk: I speak to you today not as a mere politician or a communist ideologue, but as a friend and a brother.

You no doubt have heard much about the events of the last few days. Alfred Hugenberg, the former Interior Minister, has seized power by means of an illegal coup. He has incapacitated President Hindenburg and has attempted to wrest control of the country away from the Reichstag. Such a move represents nothing less than a complete and total betrayal of the German people.

I cannot emphasize this point enough: Hugenberg and his supporters in the Reichs Police have unilaterally taken power from the rightful President of the Republic. He is attempting to overthrow the democratic order, and replace it with a fascistic state. One where all will be forced, at gunpoint no less, to pay homage to Herr Hugenberg and his allies.

Had Herr Hugenberg taken power democratically, we would not have stood in his way. But he has illegally and cruelly taken power from the Reichstag and the President. This action cannot be allowed to go unpunished. The entire German nation must rise as one and castigate the traitors into the dustbin of history. There can be no compromise with the fascist menace.

The KPD has embarked on a great General Strike to end Herr Hugenberg’s reign of terror. We can deny the people of this nation no longer. We demand freedom. We demand bread. We will not allow a man controlled by foreign interests, capitalists, and speculators to steal our Fatherland away from us.

I am asking every German man and woman to do their patriotic duty and take to the streets. Herr Hugenberg must resign. The German worker must have bread. We must end this national humiliation.

Should Herr Hugenberg attempt to suppress the will of the people, we will respond in kind. The people of Deutschland have nothing to lose but their chains. We will act decisively to secure the rights of the German farmer, the German worker, and the whole German Volk.

In my capacity as head of the KPD, I promise to protect the workers and strikers from all threats, foreign and domestic. The Rotfront will stand guard against any attempts to stop the demonstrators.

Let us stand together, once more, as brothers and sisters united against the fascist enemy. I have no doubt that we shall emerge victorious once again! Now, may God protect you and may God protect the whole German Volk.
RGM2609
« Reply #459 on: October 10, 2020, 04:12:08 AM »

Alfred Hugenbers sends statement on the evolving situation:

"The events happening now in the country are beyond words to describe. The rightful government as appointed by the President is being actively plotted against by violent left wing agitators. As misguided as it may be, I won't take actions to supress the general strike. However, rioting is where I draw a firm, firm line. I will once again call to Bolshevik Thalmann and Republican elitist Braun to stop their thugs from literally burning down the cities of our country, now before it is too late, or else I will."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #460 on: October 10, 2020, 04:58:29 AM »

Braun addresses striking workers

"it is not us who have overthrown the legitimate Chancellor in a move to increase our own power.

Not long ago, Otto Wels stood at this very spot and declared that the struggle against fascism was the greatest of our time. It remains our greatest struggle, for fascism has made its return in the form of the false Chancellor.

We demand the immediate return of the true Chancellor, Kurt Von Schleicher, and the reinstatement of the legitimate government.

We are resolved not to fire the first shot, but should the false Chancellor attempt to impose his corrupt will on us, we have a right to defend ourselves as German citizens. The man is so terrified that his grip on power is weak that he has attempted to resort to force to suppress us already, but we will not!

We would have accepted the results if they were legitimate, but the actions of the false Chancellor have been all the indication we need that they were not.

Nieder mit den Verrätern! Bis zu den Pfeilen! Nieder mit den Verrätern! Bis zu den Pfeilen!"

(translation: Down with the traitors! Up with the arrows!)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #461 on: October 10, 2020, 06:53:10 PM »

Note: RGM has left the game for RL reasons, I will act as Hugenberg, but this will obviously reduce that character's power levels. Many thanks to RGM for his active gameplay

The Reich

Wikimedia Commons

Hugenberg Forms Government as Havoc Ensues

Even as trade unions bring down order in the country, and regional governments struggle to decide if the government is legitimate, and the former Chancellor remains missing, the Hugenberg Ministry has attempted to form a function government. With the support of the still loyal Reichspolizei and AK Stalhelm, the Chancellor has moved most of government administration to Rostock, as Berlin remains filled with protestors, and the Chancellor plans to restore order and organize a constitutional convention. The Hugenberg Ministry is as follows.

The Alfred Hugenberg Cabinet -

Chancellor - Alfred Hugenberg (DNVP)

Vice Chancellor and Transportation Minister - Franz Seldte (DNVP)

Foreign Affairs Minister - Ulrich von Hassell (DNVP)

Finance Minister - Lutz Graf Schwerin von Krosigk (IND)

Interior Minister - Franz Gurtner (DNVP)

Reichswehr Minister - Werner Blomberg (IND)

Economics and Agriculture Minister - Reinhold Quaatz (DNVP)

Postal Affairs Minister - Johannes Popitz (IND)

Justice Minister - Franz Bracht (IND)

Labour Minister - Johannes Popitz (IND)

Education Minister - Ewald von Kleist Schmeizen (DNVP)

The cabinet continues to work on restoring stability to the country, preserving the economic recovery, winning over neutral army officers, and organizing the constitutional convention. The convention is to occur in East Prussia within weeks. The plan is to transport DNVP members, members of the dynasty, major Junker personalities, the cabinet, and various monarchist and conservative figures to draft a new constitution. However this has proved challenging with the ongoing general strike, meaning the strike breakers have had to be transported around the country.

Meanwhile, there is little word from Neudeck, or word on the whereabouts of Oskar von Hindenburg or Kurt von Schleicher. The Interior Ministry has also released a few thousand ex-SA members, presumably for the purpose of extra muscle in the cities overrun by left wing protestors.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #462 on: October 12, 2020, 03:16:24 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2020, 03:45:21 PM by KaiserDave »

The Reich

Wikimedia Commons

MILITARY FACTION ATTEMPTS TO REMOVE HUGENBERG

A counter coup has slammed Germany and many key sites and cities in the Reich. As Hugenberg's reactionary clique, and several Hohenzollern princes, including son of Wilhelm II reactionary Prince Eitel Friedrich, military elements loyal to General von Schleicher, with the support of major Republican parties have launched a putsch. Events spiraled after the Reichspolizei, seemingly tipped off the coup arrested Major General Henning von Tresckow and searched the Bendlerblock, arresting several senior officers. The putschists responded, first with Reichsbanner volunteers flooding the streets with the national banner, joining strikers in obstructing the police.

Officers loyal to the putsch seized key installations in Berlin (the government quarter in particular) and other major cities, including in Rostock where the convention was being held. Der AK Stalhelm soldiers were disarmed by loyal putschists, the police (who have been thoroughly loyal to the Interior Ministry) were largely obstructed by the continuing general strike. Reichswehr elements loyal to the Chancellor began to exchange fire with putschists in Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, and Cologne. However, the crux of the coup attempt came with the re-appearance of von Schleicher and Oskar von Hindenburg, who declared Hugenberg an enemy of the state. DNVP elements led by Carl Goerdeler declared Hugenberg deposed as DNVP Führer, while Artur Mahraun delivered an address from Berlin.

At Neudeck, fire was exchanged around the President's manor between loyalist police and paramilitaries and putschist forces. The Reich President was eventually secured by forces loyal to the putsch, but not after hours of fighting occurred around the estate. The President reportedly locked himself in a room to avoid potential assassination. After being secured, the President declared a state of exception and ordered troops to restore peace in the country. He declared his support for von Schleicher as Chancellor and dismissed Hugenberg.

In Rostock, the Chancellor attempted to organize a response, but was hamstrung by the continuing chaos of the general strike. He was unable to manage the logistics of a response. He has since delivered a written statement to the press asking von Schleicher and his allies to negotiate. Hugenberg has declared the need for "peaceful resolution to preserve the national-monarchist cause."

Loyalist Reichswehr elements led by Werner von Blomberg have continued to resist putschist forces, and the chaos in the country goes. As the strike continues, and coups grip the country, the German nation is gripped by violent chaos.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #463 on: October 12, 2020, 04:45:03 PM »

"The SPD stands behind General Von Schleicher as the true Chancellor of Germany."
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #464 on: October 12, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »

Von Papen

General Von Schleicher is the Chancellor, and has been ever since President Hindenburg tapped him for that job.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #465 on: October 12, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2020, 08:11:00 PM by Devout Centrist »

Ernst Thalmann Gives a National Radio Speech
Brothers, Sisters, members of the German Volk:

I address you today on the eve of the most important moment in the history of Germany. The militarist traitor Alfred Hugenberg has plunged our Republic into chaos. His treason against our Nation has scarred the German people and threatened to rip apart the foundations of democracy in Germany. Such behavior has been, rightly, met with widespread outrage, protest, and anger.

In equal measure, President Hindenburg and his monarchist cronies have attempted to install a dictatorial general as Chancellor of our Republic. This man, General Kurt Von Schleicher, is no friend of the Republic. He, like Herr Hugenberg, is a militarist and a capitalist to his very core. Given the chance, he would sell our nation the speculators and capitalists for pennies on the dollar.

While millions of our brothers and sisters lay starving in the streets, the privileged elite of this Nation have engaged in a petty squabble over which militarist or monarchist gets to lord over the wretched of the earth. Comrades, I say to you: we will not engage in their petty games.

Soon, a red dawn of socialism, democracy, and humanity will rise over Deutschland. The games played by the elites will no longer divide the German Volk, for we will be unified behind one cause, one goal, and one vision of a better world.

That day, I promise you, is almost upon us.
so it begins
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #466 on: October 12, 2020, 08:06:29 PM »

Von Papen

Herr Thalmann, that was a betrayal of the highest order. You helped us, at great personal cost to yourself, and now you are going to turn your back on us, because you won't support the legitimate Chancellor of Germany, as chosen by President Hindenburg?

Shame on you.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #467 on: October 12, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »

Von Schleicher is the only legitimate Chancellor, and allow me to be the first to say: Mr. Chancellor, I offer my confidence in your government without hesitation.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #468 on: October 12, 2020, 09:19:00 PM »

The Reich

Wikimedia Commons

Chancellor von Schleicher Charts New Course

The counter coup is concluded. The plot, organized by a clique of Reichswehr officers, Oskar von Hindenburg, Artur Mahraun, and with the support of the SPD has succeeded in securing Paul von Hindenburg, isolating Alfred Hugenberg in Rostock, and restoring a legitimate government. "Chancellor" Hugenberg has reached a peaceful settlement with von Schleicher, allowing Hugenberg to retain his freedom, but be demoted to a regional position governing Brandenburg's cornfields, and allow Dr. Carl Goerdeler to take over the day to day running of the DNVP, making his title as "Führer" naught but a formality. He has also agreed to sell some of his media empire to the state. Werner von Blomberg has resigned his post, and agreed to a premature retirement. Von Schleicher has been relatively lenient with Hugenberg's clique, though several Stalhelm figures have been handed lengthy prison terms, and most of the leading Reichspolizei officers have been imprisoned or consigned to irrelevant posts.

The new Chancellor however still faces a nation in disarray. He has to build a cabinet, which will have Artur Mahraun as Vice Chancellor, and will be likely made up of right wing independents, right wing Zentrum figures, a few moderate DNVP figures, and German State Party leaders. Von Schleicher delivered a radio address where he promised "peace, bread, and the restoration of German glory." He has dissolved the Rostock convention, though he has said he is planning a "swift convocation of a representative assembly for the construction of a monarchist constitution." He additionally declared that "it is the irrevocable will of the German people that the crown return to Berlin." The Reich President backed up the Chancellor. However, the Reich President is rarely seen these days. Even before Hugenberg's coup, the President's health is rumored to be in decline.

The general strike remains in effect among Communist unions, and bread, beef, coal, and beer remain in short supply. Bread and soup lines wrap around the streets of Germany's cities, with the exception of Bavaria, which has been remarkably stable. The SPD unions have largely returned to work, as the Reichstag is scheduled to be reconvened before Christmas, though the country remains unstable, and shaky. Nobody knows what will come next.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #469 on: October 19, 2020, 10:17:06 AM »

I've bene very busy lately but this is not yet over!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies