HB 24-22: Covering For Our Citizens Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:50:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 24-22: Covering For Our Citizens Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 24-22: Covering For Our Citizens Act (Debating)  (Read 1726 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2020, 07:22:47 AM »

Covering For Our Citizens Act
Section 1: Title

1. This legislation may be cited as/referred to as Covering For Our Citizens Act, or CFOC as a shorthand.

Section 2: Providing Security to the Homeless

1. The federal government shall ensure fair housing and living to the homeless through the establishment of a Department of Landless People (D.P.L.)
a.The budget for the department shall be 0.6% of the federal budget for the previous fiscal year

b. The goal of the department is to ensure that the needs of the homeless are covered

I. 30% of the allocated funds shall be designated for the nutritional needs of the homeless
II. 40% of the allocated funds shall be designated for the housing needs of the homeless
III. 40% of these allocated funds shall go towards the creation of public homeless shelters (40%)
IV. 60% of these allocated funds shall go towards sanitation and inspection control (60%)
V. 20% of the allocated funds shall be designated for job and vocational training programs VI. 10% of the allocated funds shall be directed to subsiding the medical needs of the participants

Section 3: Better Conditions for Undocumented Workers

1. The application and enforcement of work security standards for undocumented workers to ensure that the same work standards apply all across, and to prevent them from being a source of infection.
a. Additionaly undocumented workers will be given the same rights to compensation and benefit rights that non-undocumented workers have, in accordance with the fact that many of them pay into state and local taxes in an amount not ignorable by the government.
b. Any testing of COVID-19 infection shall remain anonymous to ensure that no deportation takes place.

Section 4: Penalties for Employers

1. If an employer has been proven to have not provided it’s workers with the necessary PPE equipment when they have ability to purchase such equipment, said employer shall be penalized $1,000 dollars for the violation for every 3 employees endangered by the lack of supplies.

Section 5: Equal Stimulus Check Program

Section II of the SB 23:06 COVID-19 Economic Stimulus Act shall be changed to
1. Beginning April 1, 2020 and ending on August 1, 2020, every Atlasian who has lived in the nation for more than one year and is of of 18 years of age or older, regardless of income or employment status, shall receive $2,000 on the first day of each month and $1,000 for each dependent.

Sponsor: Citizen (Elcaspar)
House Designation: HB 24-22

72 hours to debate.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 11:52:04 PM »

This is a reasonable bill and I strongly support Section 3 in particular. As we have seen at home as well as abroad in Singapore and other countries, undocumented workers are especially susceptible to slipping through the cracks of our healthcare system, a situation we cannot afford in the midst of a public health crisis. I will defer to others on the finer points of Section 2's funding allocation, but it appears to be broadly sound.

I'd also like a clarification from the sponsor regarding Section 5, given that the temporary UBI signed into law is meant to last until October 1. Is the key change meant to be the expansion in coverage from "child" to "dependent"?
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 01:59:44 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2020, 03:55:31 AM by Ted Bessell »

I think the intent here is good. Do have some questions, though:
 - How did the sponsor arrive at the 0.6% figure? Is there a specific dollar amount we can plug in there?
 - The percentages in Section 2b add up to 200%. Does the sponsor intend to fix this, and maybe specify the mechanisms for using the money a little more?
 - Regarding Section 3, Clause 1 is just a statement that doesn't appear to enact anything -- what's going on there? Clause 1a seems a little vague too. And (genuinely curious here) is there a serious concern that ICE is targeting undocumented immigrants for deportation because of COVID-19 infections?

Looking forward to hearing what the sponsor has to say.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 03:33:21 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2020, 03:46:53 AM by Representative Encke »

Introducing the following amendment to fix the percentages. There are plenty of other changes I'd like to make, but I'll start small to avoid objections.

1. This legislation may be cited as/referred to as Covering For Our Citizens Act, or CFOC as a shorthand.

1. The federal government shall ensure fair housing and living to the homeless through the establishment of a Department of Landless People (D.P.L.)
a.The budget for the department shall be 0.6% of the federal budget for the previous fiscal year

b. The goal of the department is to ensure that the needs of the homeless are covered

I. 15%30% of the allocated funds shall be designated for the nutritional needs of the homeless
II. 20%40% of the allocated funds shall be designated for the housing needs of the homeless
III. 20%40% of these allocated funds shall go towards the creation of public homeless shelters (40%)
IV. 30%60% of these allocated funds shall go towards sanitation and inspection control (60%)
V. 10%20% of the allocated funds shall be designated for job and vocational training programs
VI. 5%10% of the allocated funds shall be directed to subsiding the medical needs of the participants

1. The application and enforcement of work security standards for undocumented workers to ensure that the same work standards apply all across, and to prevent them from being a source of infection.
a. Additionaly undocumented workers will be given the same rights to compensation and benefit rights that non-undocumented workers have, in accordance with the fact that many of them pay into state and local taxes in an amount not ignorable by the government.
b. Any testing of COVID-19 infection shall remain anonymous to ensure that no deportation takes place.

1. If an employer has been proven to have not provided it’s workers with the necessary PPE equipment when they have ability to purchase such equipment, said employer shall be penalized $1,000 dollars for the violation for every 3 employees endangered by the lack of supplies.

1. Beginning April 1, 2020 and ending on August 1, 2020, every Atlasian who has lived in the nation for more than one year and is of of 18 years of age or older, regardless of income or employment status, shall receive $2,000 on the first day of each month and $1,000 for each dependent.
Encke
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 03:56:49 AM »

This is a reasonable bill and I strongly support Section 3 in particular. As we have seen at home as well as abroad in Singapore and other countries, undocumented workers are especially susceptible to slipping through the cracks of our healthcare system, a situation we cannot afford in the midst of a public health crisis. I will defer to others on the finer points of Section 2's funding allocation, but it appears to be broadly sound.

I'd also like a clarification from the sponsor regarding Section 5, given that the temporary UBI signed into law is meant to last until October 1. Is the key change meant to be the expansion in coverage from "child" to "dependent"?

One difference I noticed: it seems that this bill is based on an outdated version of the COVID-19 Economic Stimulus Act, because the version that was actually passed by the Senate (on April 16) has the UBI period lasting until October 1. Section 5 in this bill that we're discussing (which was written in May) seems to be based on an earlier, un-amended version of the COVID-19 Economic Stimulus Act with UBI ending on August 1. I fixed this in my amendment.

The other key change (other than the one you noted) is that the original UBI only applied to citizens. The amendment in this bill apparently extends this to anyone who has lived in the country for a year. Frankly I don't see why we don't just use the same criteria used for the RL economic impact payments.
Encke
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 07:52:51 PM »

Is the amendment friendly? Not sure what the procedure is here for citizen-sponsored stuff.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 12:00:38 AM »

Is the sponsor available to address the concerns raised in this discussion? It's a pretty important part of COVID relief and I'd prefer that we are able to get an adequate sense of how the bill will help our citizens.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 07:01:28 AM »

I will get to the concerns within the week. Also yes amendment is friendly.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 11:39:52 PM »

No problem; take the time you need. Though I will note that it's been a week.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 07:14:11 PM »

No problem; take the time you need. Though I will note that it's been a week.

It's mostly due to the fact that i am getting used to a new schedule as i recently got a job. Rest assured that i will have written something up before the week is over.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 11:10:55 AM »

I will be supporting this bill.

I have long been an advocate for the poor, the disadvantaged, the down trodden, and those who find  themselves on the edges of society.   
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 07:27:25 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I don’t mean to be rude, but it’s been several weeks since you promised to answer questions about the bill “by the end of the week.” What’s up?
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 05:47:16 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I don’t mean to be rude, but it’s been several weeks since you promised to answer questions about the bill “by the end of the week.” What’s up?

Unfortunately, the sponsor still hasn't responded to his colleagues' questions about the legislation. While I'd love to reconsider this in the next Congress, I move to table the bill so we can clear our queue ahead of the upcoming session. Looking for a second.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 05:49:20 PM »

Unfortunately, the sponsor still hasn't responded to his colleagues' questions about the legislation. While I'd love to reconsider this in the next Congress, I move to table the bill so we can clear our queue ahead of the upcoming session. Looking for a second.

I will second the motion to table.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 05:54:09 PM »

I will second the motion to table.

I appreciate the second from my colleague -- however, I've looked at the rules and it isn't necessary. Since the bill has been on the floor for more than 168 hours and debate has ceased for more than 48 hours, I can invoke cloture and move to a final vote without a motion, which I will do now. As such, I withdraw my motion to table.

A final vote is now open on this bill. Representatives have no more than 72 hours to vote, and no less than 24 hours from whenever the bill has enough votes to pass or fail.

Nay.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 07:40:26 PM »

Aye.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 12:01:00 AM »

If nobody else has done so, I'd like to ask if we are in agreement on the final text of this bill, which after Encke's amendment above (declared friendly by the sponsor) should stand as follows:

I. 15% of the allocated funds shall be designated for the nutritional needs of the homeless
II. 20% of the allocated funds shall be designated for the housing needs of the homeless
III. 20% of these allocated funds shall go towards the creation of public homeless shelters
IV. 30% of these allocated funds shall go towards sanitation and inspection control
V. 10% of the allocated funds shall be designated for job and vocational training programs
VI. 5% of the allocated funds shall be directed to subsiding the medical needs of the participants

1. Beginning April 1, 2020 and ending on August 1, 2020, every Atlasian who has lived in the nation for more than one year and is of 18 years of age or older, regardless of income or employment status, shall receive $2,000 on the first day of each month and $1,000 for each dependent.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 12:26:38 AM »

That is indeed the proper text, as the amendment was considered friendly by the sponsor and saw no objection.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 01:03:48 AM »

Yeah, to be clear, the amendment was adopted. The amended text is the version we’re voting on.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 01:36:35 AM »

Very well, then. It was a good amendment, but it's also regrettable that the sponsor wasn't able to get back to our further concerns on the bill in time to improve it before this proceeded to a final vote. I encourage the Senate to give this a good long look once it reaches them.

Aye.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 06:23:16 PM »

So this is where we stand at the end of the 72-hour voting period:

Ayes:
SevenEleven
Joseph Cao

Nays:
Ted Bessell

Not Voting:
Elcaspar
Gracile
HCP
Muad'dib
Razze
Winfield

Just gonna note of this section of the House Rules:

Quote from: Definitions
4.) A quorum is defined as the minimum number of members of the House that must be present at any of its meetings to make the proceedings of that meeting valid, which is defined as a majority of the sitting House.

Let's not get ourselves into a legal mess here. I'm going to use my powers as presiding officer to suspend the rules and extend the vote by 24 hours so we can try and get a majority of people voting.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2020, 06:26:36 PM »

no
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »

Let's not get ourselves into a legal mess here. I'm going to use my powers as presiding officer to suspend the rules and extend the vote by 24 hours so we can try and get a majority of people voting.
A good common sense move, Mr. Deputy Speaker.

Mr. Deputy Speaker, I did not receive a notification about a final vote. Is there a Standard Operating Procedure Federally to notify Representatives when a final vote is on? I am not inferring that you have been lax in your duties, Mr. Deputy Speaker. I am just curious as to what the convention is. The Southern Chamber gets maligned as inactive and during my time as Speaker (& deputy), I tried to ensure that delegates were notified when final votes were on with a DM as it was the only way to get most of my colleagues in the chamber to actually vote. I know that can be time consuming.

Also I think a contributing factor to the low turn out for the vote is also that the title on the board still has "(Debating)" rather than "(Final Vote)". I understand is beyond your control to change as thumb21 was the original poster in the thread for this bill. So once again this is a good common sense move to extend the vote.

Now regarding the actual vote at hand.

NAY
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 07:28:58 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2020, 07:33:39 PM by Ted Bessell »

A good common sense move, Mr. Deputy Speaker.

Mr. Deputy Speaker, I did not receive a notification about a final vote. Is there a Standard Operating Procedure Federally to notify Representatives when a final vote is on? I am not inferring that you have been lax in your duties, Mr. Deputy Speaker. I am just curious as to what the convention is. The Southern Chamber gets maligned as inactive and during my time as Speaker (& deputy), I tried to ensure that delegates were notified when final votes were on with a DM as it was the only way to get most of my colleagues in the chamber to actually vote. I know that can be time consuming.

Also I think a contributing factor to the low turn out for the vote is also that the title on the board still has "(Debating)" rather than "(Final Vote)". I understand is beyond your control to change as thumb21 was the original poster in the thread for this bill. So once again this is a good common sense move to extend the vote.

I get it. There's a group message on Discord which I've been using to notify members about final votes, and you aren't in it because you took office so recently. I reached out to you on Discord to add you to the GC as soon as possible, shortly after extending the voting period. If that doesn't work for you, shoot me a PM and we can figure something else out for the rest of the lame duck.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 08:29:48 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: