NJ-08: Oseguara vs. Sires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:03:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-08: Oseguara vs. Sires
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NJ-08: Oseguara vs. Sires  (Read 519 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2020, 02:40:00 PM »

This is NJ so I have skepticism but Oseguara has access to column A in two out of the four counties and it's been a wild primary cycle so far. Worth keeping an eye on though my guess is they're just being overly cautious.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 03:00:49 PM »

Hopefully Sires keeps his seat and doesn’t get caught asleep at the wheel.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 03:01:47 PM »

I used to live in this district. I cant imagine Sires being in any real danger. He's well known and well liked. Turnout will probably be in the toilet though, so I can imagine some money being spent to avoid a Crowley 2.0 from happening.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 03:27:35 PM »

According to this article, Oseguera outraised Sires although neither of them raised much ($39,044 to $12,501 respectively). It probably doesn't mean much, but thought it was worth pointing out.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 03:35:32 PM »

The election is in 5 days and the vast majority of people have already voted by mail

Just burning money at this point
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2020, 03:44:36 PM by Pollster »

This is a district that has seen a lot of new voters come in/old voters leave, so certainly possible Sires' name recognition has gone down. In primaries where everybody has low name rec, having the ballot in front of you for weeks does give voters plenty of time to become familiar with all of the candidates on their own terms.

Still, as I mentioned in another thread, I'll believe an NJ primary challenger winning when I see it. Sires is, by far, the worst of the NJ Dems in totally safe seats, so nice to see him getting at least a small scare.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 03:44:29 PM »

This is a district that has seen a lot of new voters come in/old voters come out, so certainly possible Sires' name recognition has gone down. In primaries where everybody has low name rec, having the ballot in front of you for weeks does give voters plenty of time to become familiar with all of the candidates on their own terms.

Still, as I mentioned in another thread, I'll believe an NJ primary challenger winning when I see it. Sires is, by far, the worst of the NJ Dems in totally safe seats, so nice to see him getting at least a small scare.

What’s wrong with Sires?
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 03:55:43 PM »

This is a district that has seen a lot of new voters come in/old voters come out, so certainly possible Sires' name recognition has gone down. In primaries where everybody has low name rec, having the ballot in front of you for weeks does give voters plenty of time to become familiar with all of the candidates on their own terms.

What’s wrong with Sires?

This is blatantly my opinion, he's to my right considerably on multiple issues, specifically foreign policy.

My guess is Oseguera is peaking too late and, at best, will perform similarly to Booker rather than Bowman. The structural obstacles in place against defeating the machine's choice in NJ exacerbates this.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2020, 05:25:55 PM by Oryxslayer »

What’s wrong with Sires?

This is blatantly my opinion, he's to my right considerably on multiple issues, specifically foreign policy.

My guess is Oseguera is peaking too late and, at best, will perform similarly to Booker rather than Bowman. The structural obstacles in place against defeating the machine's choice in NJ exacerbates this.

Like someone else said, I'll believe a New Jersey primary challenger defeating the machine when I see it. However, if there is any NJ seat where the primary succeeds, it's going to be here since Sires is sitting in a demographic time bomb. If this was a different state he probably would have lost to a Hispanic challenger a long time ago.  I am an idiot.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 04:24:25 PM »

What’s wrong with Sires?

Like someone else said, I'll believe a New Jersey primary challenger defeating the machine when I see it. However, if there is any NJ seat where the primary succeeds, it's going to be here since Sires is sitting in a demographic time bomb. If this was a different state he probably would have lost to a Hispanic challenger a long time ago. 

Sires is Hispanic.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 04:30:37 PM »

What’s wrong with Sires?

Like someone else said, I'll believe a New Jersey primary challenger defeating the machine when I see it. However, if there is any NJ seat where the primary succeeds, it's going to be here since Sires is sitting in a demographic time bomb. If this was a different state he probably would have lost to a Hispanic challenger a long time ago. 

Sires is Cuban, has a distinct accent, and speaks fluent Spanish. The Cuban population in the district are pretty contained to the northern part near Union City, North Bergen, and Sires' native West New York. So long as these constituencies remain in Sires' district, he's probably safe.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 05:25:12 PM »

What’s wrong with Sires?

Sires is Cuban, has a distinct accent, and speaks fluent Spanish. The Cuban population in the district are pretty contained to the northern part near Union City, North Bergen, and Sires' native West New York. So long as these constituencies remain in Sires' district, he's probably safe.

Then I am an idiot. For some reason, I assumed he wasn't Caribbean. Ignore everything I said after the part where primary challengers don't beat the machine.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »

Hopefully Sires keeps his seat and doesn’t get caught asleep at the wheel.

If he's moving against a challenge that wasn't even publicly on the radar, he's anything but asleep at the wheel. This looks like insurance to kill a bid before it can even get serious rather than a desperate response to a serious challenge and I think his nomination is all but guaranteed.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 06:35:02 PM »

Any anti-Iran Deal Democrat deserves to be primaried, so hope he loses.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »

What’s wrong with Sires?
Voted against the Iran deal.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 07:06:02 PM »

Any anti-Iran Deal Democrat deserves to be primaried, so hope he loses.

Does his primary opponent support it?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies