College Insights: Biden +50 among college students
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:59:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  College Insights: Biden +50 among college students
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College Insights: Biden +50 among college students  (Read 1202 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2020, 11:08:01 AM »

It looks like lots of Sanders supporters made peace with Biden or are ok with voting for him.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 11:14:15 AM »

No surprise since Colleges has transitioned to online
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 12:00:24 PM »

Yep, it appears consolidation is happening.

April 14: Biden 57, Trump 21 (Biden +36)
May 12: Biden 60, Trump 21 (Biden +39)
June 9: Biden 64, Trump 18 (Biden +46)
June 30: Biden 67, Trump 17 (Biden +50)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 01:15:04 PM »

Crazy thing about this poll is, except for with white straight males, Trump is usually tied or even behind "third party" with most of the sub-groups. He's really done a number on the future of the Republican party.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 01:31:48 PM »

The people who thought that young/college-aged voters would not get behind Biden in large numbers (even going as far as making the misguided assumption that they would support him at lower rates than older voters) were always delusional and not paying attention to the results of every election within the past two decades.
indietraveler

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 09:29:53 PM »

Not surprising at all. The bigger question should be will they turn out? Are they more or less likely to turn out due to Covid.

Republicans can't just blame Trump for this poor performance. Their racist, unscientific and anti-healthcare platform will crush them this decade and into the next.

Why would the most diverse and most educated generation vote republican?
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 01:12:59 PM »

This lead will increase. I expect Biden to win college students with at least 70%, quite possibly more.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 05:52:48 PM »

Trump has practically no appeal to smart, young people.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 08:02:36 PM »

Crazy thing about this poll is, except for with white straight males, Trump is usually tied or even behind "third party" with most of the sub-groups. He's really done a number on the future of the Republican party.
It’s not just Trump. It’s the entire Republican party. They’re the ones who chose to deny climate change and defend antiquated positions like being anti gay marriage and anti pot just to get more support from Boomers
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 11:06:22 PM »

The main problem for Democrats among this cohort isn't college students flipping to Republicans, it's college students not showing up to vote. Remember that Obama was very successful in getting younger voters to show up to vote, whereas Hillary wasn't nearly as successful in this regard. I'm not sure how well Biden will fare, given how relatively unappealing his policy platform is to younger voters (As things stand right now, I currently plan to vote for Biden in November, but I do not plan to "go the extra mile" for him by trying to get others to vote for him as well.)
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 11:53:36 PM »

How many college students will be on campus this November? If students are distance learning from their parents basement are they more or less likely to vote? I don't know but could lead to some funky results in college towns.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 12:01:26 AM »

How many college students will be on campus this November? If students are distance learning from their parents basement are they more or less likely to vote? I don't know but could lead to some funky results in college towns.

Results in college towns might be affected but those students are still going to vote anyway, so the overall results won’t really be affected. Just because students will be at their parents’ houses doesn’t mean they’ll be less likely to vote. In fact maybe the opposite with their parents pushing/encouraging them to vote.
Epaminondas

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 01:00:20 AM »

Results in college towns might be affected but those students are still going to vote anyway, so the overall results won’t really be affected. Just because students will be at their parents’ houses doesn’t mean they’ll be less likely to vote. In fact maybe the opposite with their parents pushing/encouraging them to vote.

Wouldn't it affect congressional elections though? Living at your parents in the reddish countryside rather than in a safe D student suburb.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 05:26:15 AM »

The main problem for Democrats among this cohort isn't college students flipping to Republicans, it's college students not showing up to vote. Remember that Obama was very successful in getting younger voters to show up to vote, whereas Hillary wasn't nearly as successful in this regard. I'm not sure how well Biden will fare, given how relatively unappealing his policy platform is to younger voters (As things stand right now, I currently plan to vote for Biden in November, but I do not plan to "go the extra mile" for him by trying to get others to vote for him as well.)

This is the misconception though that polls keep getting wrong. It has nothing to do with Biden. Most young people will be motivated enough to vote because of how bad Trump is, not b/c of Biden. I think Biden will fare fine, and probably better than HRC, b/c young voters will be motivated by their hate of Trump. Just look at 2018.

It'd be nice if you went the extra mile though. I know I will. If you really care about Trump being defeated, you would too.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 03:22:58 PM »

It looks like lots of Sanders supporters made peace with Biden or are ok with voting for him.

Wasn't that take debunked months ago? (The 'Sanders supporters aren't voting for Biden' one, I mean)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 08:43:36 AM »

The education gap will be one of the big headlines on 4 Nov. It's gonna be yuge.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies