Spain FPTP simulation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:23:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spain FPTP simulation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spain FPTP simulation  (Read 4622 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« on: July 03, 2020, 11:19:05 AM »

I'm following this with interest because I always enjoy hypothetical alignments and have done a few myself. I'm eager to see what happens when you hit the urban and 'localist/separatist' areas like Catalonia, the Basque County, and parts of the Canaries.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 11:53:59 AM »

I'm following this with interest because I always enjoy hypothetical alignments and have done a few myself. I'm eager to see what happens when you hit the urban and 'localist/separatist' areas like Catalonia, the Basque County, and parts of the Canaries.

Well, for Catalonia/Basque country I think I will essencially just do 3 way races between "the right", "the left" and "the separatists/nationalists". In practice this will make it a lot harder to guess the partisanship of the districts though, but I think is the fairest way to guess the partisanship there.

As for the Canaries, they are in a very awkward position. I really do not know what to do. The easiest solution would probably to just go with April results instead of November, and then merge CC into the right and NCa into the left. Though I could also treat them separately or something.

For what is worth, in Galicia and Teruel I just went with the convention eldiario.es uses (where BNG and TEx got merged into the left). If you separate them the Galicia districts all become quite a bit more right wing and the Teruel ones become interesting 3 way races.

I think this is a good base plan. Galicia is fine, especially when we consider that everyone would have to team up to dethrone the PP locally. If the local party ended up backing the PSOE govt without any serious reservations then they are probably safe to be considered part of the combined left - obviously with the key exception of PNV. This sort of distinction leaves PRC as the odd one out, but maybe they are best seen as part of the regionalism block with JxC, PNV, and the rest.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 09:09:17 AM »

You need some more visible borders for the competitive-right category. I think I know the borders between the three seats, but I am not sure. In the past I could tell where one seat ended and another began since it bordered safer seats. However, when the leans border each other, they all meld together because of the light border color.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »

You need some more visible borders for the competitive-right category. I think I know the borders between the three seats, but I am not sure. In the past I could tell where one seat ended and another began since it bordered safer seats. However, when the leans border each other, they all meld together because of the light border color.

I suppose I should use a darker shade of blue (or pink) here then?

Here is a quick redo with an slighly darker shade of blue and thicker borders (almost too thick in fact)

For the record, the link in the first page should update automatically, so if anyone is in doubt about any seat borders, that also works as a backup.

Looks better, though yeah, maybe too thick.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 02:39:51 PM »

I would also add that starting from the smallest regions and then working towards the larger ones will present a picture that presently favors the right. Even though the largest area, Madrid, is a right wing stronghold, most of the mid sized areas with left wing presences are only now going to be mapped with larger areas like Seville and Valencia further off.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies