Vladimir Putin Gets to Stay in Power for (At Least) Another Sixteen Years (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:26:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Vladimir Putin Gets to Stay in Power for (At Least) Another Sixteen Years (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vladimir Putin Gets to Stay in Power for (At Least) Another Sixteen Years  (Read 1527 times)
Omega21

« on: July 05, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »
« edited: July 05, 2020, 05:10:24 PM by Omega21 »

Just old enough to go and become a candidate in the US!

Russia will not invade Ukraine.

The only reason they annexed Crimea is that it was easy, the people there overwhelmingly identify as Russians, so even if the annexation was not right in any sense, the people didn't exactly rebel, so it was just a case of going in and handling the international community response later.

The 2 self-proclaimed "nations" in the East are politically radioactive as well, and Russia cannot afford officially annexing them.

Omega21

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 10:31:45 AM »

Just old enough to go and become a candidate in the US!

Russia will not invade Ukraine.

The only reason they annexed Crimea is that it was easy, the people there overwhelmingly identify as Russians, so even if the annexation was not right in any sense, the people didn't exactly rebel, so it was just a case of going in and handling the international community response later.

The 2 self-proclaimed "nations" in the East are politically radioactive as well, and Russia cannot afford officially annexing them.

My sense is Russia will de facto rule the eastern parts of Ukraine with a significant Russian population for years to come. Doesn't take an actual invasion through official combat forces. The Kremlin will keep this as a so called "frozen conflict" similar to Transnistria and the West has little cards to play other than imposing sanctions. The Ukrainian govt has de facto lost control over that region years ago and they made a number of serious blunders by blocking reforms for a new federal structure and prohibiting the Russian language.

Oh, I most definitely agree.

Crimea is already an internationally unrecognized part of Russia, while the other 2 regions will most likely stay under Russian control, even though they don't officially claim it.

I'm not sure if autonomy for the Russian regions and an official language would have prevented this, but I would have always supported that option more than what actually happened.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies