Vladimir Putin Gets to Stay in Power for (At Least) Another Sixteen Years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:14:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Vladimir Putin Gets to Stay in Power for (At Least) Another Sixteen Years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Vladimir Putin Gets to Stay in Power for (At Least) Another Sixteen Years  (Read 1489 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 04:28:17 PM »

Now that I think about it, Ukrainians should be grateful for the Soviet Union, the Soviets gave them Polish territories (Including Lwow), Bessarabia, and Crimea.

...Bessarabia is Moldova, though, no...?

Its coastal region Budjak became part of Ukraine, making Moldova a landlocked country.

Fascinating!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2020, 05:36:23 PM »

Medvedev has been trained for decades as Putin’s successor. Does anyone honestly think Mishustin will be his successor?

Between Konstantin Chuychenko being made Minister of Justice and Medvedev being made Deputy Head of the Security Council, I think the death of the Medvedev Company is vastly overstated.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2020, 07:55:14 PM »

I just noticed that one of the federal subjects of Russia (Nenets Autonomous Okrug) actually voted against the constitutional reform surprisinlgly

Does anyone have any idea why they voted against? Not like it matters lol but still funny not to see a clean swipe for Putin for once. Also normally I thought the regions that were the most anti-Putin were like Moscow and St. Petersburg?
urutzizu
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2020, 08:14:30 PM »

I just noticed that one of the federal subjects of Russia (Nenets Autonomous Okrug) actually voted against the constitutional reform surprisinlgly

Does anyone have any idea why they voted against? Not like it matters lol but still funny not to see a clean swipe for Putin for once. Also normally I thought the regions that were the most anti-Putin were like Moscow and St. Petersburg?

Protest vote, anger over a plan to unify them with the neighbouring region Arkhangelsk (people apparently think would strip them of special government funding). Does not seem to be anything specifically to do with anti-Putin sentiment. Personal speculation on my part, maybe the lower yes vote there and in Arkhangelsk also had something to do with Anger at a recent military nuclear accident near Nyonoksa and the accusations of a cover up.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 01:43:41 AM »

Protest vote, anger over a plan to unify them with the neighbouring region Arkhangelsk (people apparently think would strip them of special government funding). Does not seem to be anything specifically to do with anti-Putin sentiment. Personal speculation on my part, maybe the lower yes vote there and in Arkhangelsk also had something to do with Anger at a recent military nuclear accident near Nyonoksa and the accusations of a cover up.

Another reason: Shies story. Local authorities wanted new big landfill for Moscow's garbage, but people were furious and after year of protests plams were scrapped.
I have a feeling everyone forget about Nyonoksa though.

Imdependent sociologists estimate real vote (without falsifications) as 42% turnout, 65% "Yes". Slightly better number, but still depressing.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2020, 06:54:07 AM »

Crimea will never return to Ukraine. Ukraine is a failed state now, it's nothing but a buffer state now, in the future it will probably be annexed along with Belarus by Russia

Superb trolling, sir.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2020, 07:22:06 AM »

He’ll be 83 in 16 years wtf
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2020, 07:55:41 AM »

Now that I think about it, Ukrainians should be grateful for the Soviet Union, the Soviets gave them Polish territories (Including Lwow), Bessarabia, and Crimea.
If you think so, then I have some bad news for you. You are dumb person, very dumb. Western Ukraine, including Lwiw, is natively and historically Ukrainian territory.

And part of Russia (Kuban) is also historically Ukrainian territory, so shut up

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 10:18:10 AM »

As already stated, not quite. You missed out Transcarpathia, though Wink
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2020, 01:26:07 PM »

Omega21

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2020, 05:10:24 PM by Omega21 »

Just old enough to go and become a candidate in the US!

Russia will not invade Ukraine.

The only reason they annexed Crimea is that it was easy, the people there overwhelmingly identify as Russians, so even if the annexation was not right in any sense, the people didn't exactly rebel, so it was just a case of going in and handling the international community response later.

The 2 self-proclaimed "nations" in the East are politically radioactive as well, and Russia cannot afford officially annexing them.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2020, 09:08:44 AM »

The only reason they annexed Crimea is that it was easy, the people there overwhelmingly identify as Russians, so even if the annexation was not right in any sense, the people didn't exactly rebel, so it was just a case of going in and handling the international community response later.

The 2 self-proclaimed "nations" in the East are politically radioactive as well, and Russia cannot afford officially annexing them.

My sense is Russia will de facto rule the eastern parts of Ukraine with a significant Russian population for years to come. Doesn't take an actual invasion through official combat forces. The Kremlin will keep this as a so called "frozen conflict" similar to Transnistria and the West has little cards to play other than imposing sanctions. The Ukrainian govt has de facto lost control over that region years ago and they made a number of serious blunders by blocking reforms for a new federal structure and prohibiting the Russian language.
Omega21

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 10:31:45 AM »

My sense is Russia will de facto rule the eastern parts of Ukraine with a significant Russian population for years to come. Doesn't take an actual invasion through official combat forces. The Kremlin will keep this as a so called "frozen conflict" similar to Transnistria and the West has little cards to play other than imposing sanctions. The Ukrainian govt has de facto lost control over that region years ago and they made a number of serious blunders by blocking reforms for a new federal structure and prohibiting the Russian language.

Oh, I most definitely agree.

Crimea is already an internationally unrecognized part of Russia, while the other 2 regions will most likely stay under Russian control, even though they don't officially claim it.

I'm not sure if autonomy for the Russian regions and an official language would have prevented this, but I would have always supported that option more than what actually happened.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »

They gave them the Holodomor famine, which killed 3.5 million Ukrainians
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2020, 02:10:59 PM »

They gave them the Holodomor famine, which killed 3.5 million Ukrainians
Little correction: Holodomor killed about 10 million Ukrainians
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2020, 02:25:39 PM »

This is probably one of the most history revisionistic posts I've ever seen.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2020, 02:35:23 PM »

It wasn't really our territory.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies