1976 if HW Bush was Ford’s running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:45:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976 if HW Bush was Ford’s running mate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976 if HW Bush was Ford’s running mate  (Read 443 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2020, 07:34:09 PM »

Would the map look different?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »

Doubtful. Usually you would say Texas may have been closer, but Poppy twice lost statewide races at this point. Bush would have been similar to Dole; not a bad choice, but not a great one either. I think the only two running mates that would have made a difference are Rockefeller or Reagan. Both for unique reasons different from each other. Probably Ford would have actually won with either of these.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 06:23:06 PM »

Doubtful. Usually you would say Texas may have been closer, but Poppy twice lost statewide races at this point. Bush would have been similar to Dole; not a bad choice, but not a great one either. I think the only two running mates that would have made a difference are Rockefeller or Reagan. Both for unique reasons different from each other. Probably Ford would have actually won with either of these.

Reagan wouldn’t have attracted many more conservatives than Dole and likely would have turned off more moderates at the time.

Rockefeller was dropped in the first place because of fears of a conservative revolt against Ford with Rockefeller. He probably still wouldn’t have been enough to turn states like NY blue, and Carter just would have done better in less liberal states.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 02:58:03 PM »

Reagan wouldn’t have attracted many more conservatives than Dole and likely would have turned off more moderates at the time.

Rockefeller was dropped in the first place because of fears of a conservative revolt against Ford with Rockefeller. He probably still wouldn’t have been enough to turn states like NY blue, and Carter just would have done better in less liberal states.

I've read that Rockefeller was dropped primarily because of the feud between him and Goldwater
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 08:14:56 PM »

I've read that Rockefeller was dropped primarily because of the feud between him and Goldwater

Lots of Republicans didn't like Nelson Rockefeller, but Rockefeller turned sharply to the right in his fourth term as Governor of NY.  I had a teacher who was an ultra-liberal whom I had many political conversations with.  I was one of the few Democrats in my High School and we were talking about Nelson Rockefeller.  He agreed with my assertion of "I don't see why conservatives hate Rockefeller; he's so much like them!". 

Ford would likely have carried NY had Rockefeller been his running mate, and would have won the election with it.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 05:42:22 PM »

The 1976 map would be the same, I don't think Bush would have been a real change from Dole as VP.

It would have set Bush up better for 1980, assuming him being viewed as a competent running mate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies