Did Jackson view Jefferson/Madison as sellouts? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:59:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Did Jackson view Jefferson/Madison as sellouts? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Jackson view Jefferson/Madison as sellouts?  (Read 1512 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 03, 2020, 02:19:33 PM »

I am not that knowledgeable on this subject, but I do think there should be a distinction between Jefferson and Madison.  Madison always had some more "Federalist tendencies" than Jefferson, and overall appeared less ideological, from what I have come across.

I’ve read very good historians compare Jefferson and Madison to Hamilton and Adams. A loud man, with intelligence and spirit, and a quiet man, with genius and wisdom. To me, however, Madison is much more distinct from the likes of Hamilton, Adams, Jefferson, and Burr, in that he was less concerned with his actions than with their results.

Madison had a grand mind and a deep understanding of government, but he lacked the understanding of partisan politics. His writings and speeches reflect a great deal of capability, but his frustration with his limited powers, both as Governor and as President, overwhelmed him. He was therefore quite willing to agree to “Federalist economics” if he perceived them as centralizing the government and therefore securing the future unity and power of America.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 03:13:07 PM »

Describing Jefferson as "a loud man" is certainly a novel take, considering he was famously introverted and as a member of Congress rarely if ever spoke during debate (unlike Madison). I agree that Madison's misappreciation of partisan politics is a major reason he was less successful than Jefferson or Hamilton as a national leader. (N.B. I don't believe Madison ever served as governor; you're thinking of Monroe.)
*Corrections:

First, when I say loud, I do mean dominating. It’s always shocked me that Jefferson gets so much more fame (and statues) than the man who fashioned our very government. Secondly, you are correct that I misattributed him as Governor. He was a state delegate and a member of the Governor’s Council of State when he wrote about his frustration with the lack of state executive(gubernatorial) powers. My apologies.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 04:10:49 PM »

I would like to add onto this conversation as at one point Madison was quite close to some leading Federalists, He was one of the coauthors of the Federalist papers with Alexander Hamilton and John Jay.
Madison was unique in his role to all other major Founding Fathers. He was a sometimes friend and sometimes rival of Alexander Hamilton, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, George Clinton, James Monroe, and, as far as I know solely, George Washington. Washington had very, very few friends, and Madison was his only trusted political friend* until the tariff permanently distressed their friendship.

*His relationship with Hamilton, while certainly close, could not truthfully be described as overly amicable.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »

Federalist Party =/= Federalist Papers.
The Federalist movement began out of a criticism of the weak government of the Articles of Confederation. Madison and Hamilton were leading Federalists in this sense. The Federalist Party was fundamentally built around a defense of the Constitution and the Federalist Papers.

The divide between Anti-Federalists and Federalists was not the same as those between the D-Rs and the Federalists, not least because the most prominent Federalist was a Democratic-Republican.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 02:58:54 PM »

New Jersey repealed black suffrage (as well as female suffrage)

I do want to highlight this point: in many states, women who owned enough property could vote. Suffrage abolishing property requirements in every case transitioned power from wealthy women and blacks to poor white men.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies